• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nightline and ABC covers surge in gun sales

opusd2

imported post

Oh yeah, good point. It's like when they just happened to lose a computer full of military personnel information from Tricare and we all were told to watch our accounts after that.

Tomahawk

imported post

The state is also incompentent at preventing terrorism and screening airline passengers. But that does not mean the Homeland Security Department is not a threat to your liberty. A tyrant's incompetent soldiers are, in many ways, just as scary or even scarier than the competent ones. After all, once they determine that they can't figure out exactly who has a gun, they'll just start guessing. Who's safe, then?

The point I'm trying to make is not that you have to be paranoid. It's probably far too late for anyone on this website, anyway. But you do need to be aware of the threat and willing to oppose it legally and politically. Understand that activism draws scrutiny from unsavory characters with titles and badges, etc., and be ready to deal with it. Panicking, building bomb shelters, burying your guns, or whatever, is going to do yu much good in the long run, and won't help make your country any freer (although, of course, there are times and places for everything...).

shad0wfax

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
Oh yeah, good point. It's like when they just happened to lose a computer full of military personnel information from Tricare and we all were told to watch our accounts after that.

I remember that one. The threat of identity theft was huge, since they had nams, addresses, SSN's and dates/places of birth.

Speaking of stupid systems, NICS has me in a "delayed" status now. I can only assume it's due to the huge surge in recent firearms sales nation-wide.

AbNo

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Remember, they will hire the cheapest programmers with no skills whatsoever.
Actually.... The government hires some really decent coders.

The thing is, the coders' bosses tend to use the mentality of "This is what they SAID they, not what will work." This lets them make a NEW contract for a NEW piece of software. :cuss:

Or at least, so says a coder buddy of mine that works for one of those big g'ovt teat-suckers in the NoVa region.

Thundar

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
You have computers, and of course it's easy to make a list of names and addresses of gunowners. Remember the other thread about the BATFE ripping off a software company that was comuterizing 4473's?NICS checks are already computerized. Back in the Janet Reno days the FBI got caught keeping the records for several months. They've since been "ordered" not to do it, but what do you think?

Fact is, once that information goes out you have no control over it and no idea of what's really being done with it. And you're trusting a wolf to guard the dogfood.

The machinery has been in place since NICS was invented. Given all the other crap that's been done since 9/11 as far as phone tapping and stuff goes, it seems pretty naive to assume that these sorts of records aren't being trawled through already.

4473s and NICS need to go.
Don't get me wrong, I hate the the fact the data is being collected, and the Big Brother concept in general. I just don't think there is enough computing power to do anything useful. I have several friends whose jobs are mostly about data management, and they all say the same thing: once you reach a cretain amout of information you just can't do anything with it. Sure, you have it (and like I said, I don't like that), but you can't sort it, you can't find specific records, you can't do anything in a useful amount of time. There just are not computers powerful enough to do it.
You have a useful sorting tool called REAL ID.