• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Firearms Museum

richarcm

imported post

So I was bored today, driving around with absolutely no destination in mind and ended up driving by the NRA Firearms Museum. I decided to turn around and check it out.

First I wasn't sure if you could OC there or not....seems like you'd be able to, didn't see anything on their website either way, didn't see anything on their doors but had go #1 so bad that I didn't want to risk it and left it in my truck.

The Museum was nice. It certainly wasn't nearly as big as I had hoped, unless I missed something. But for how small it was it did have a lot of guns. Definitely pretty cool. I was hoping for something more extensive to show you different types of ammo, maybe a display case for each major make, a display case for historical guns, a display case for guns used in movies, etc. But it didn't get that in depth.

Overall, pretty cool. Free to check out. Worth it if you ain't got much to do.

richarcm

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Why would you not be able to OC at the NRA?

:uhoh:
I don't know if you could or couldn't. But I had to pee so bad that I just left it in the truck. :)

nova

imported post

A few months ago we had an OC Field Trip to the NRA museum, before heading to Five Guys in fairfax.

The NRA building is definately OC friendly. An NRA rep said once that it wouldn't look good if the NRA had a gun ban in their own building. :lol:

Armed

imported post

A few months ago, I also paid a visit to the museum. I really enjoyed it. After the museum we paid a visit to the NRA shooting range. I'll have to say, that is one of the cleanest indoor ranges I've seen in quite awhile. I especially enjoyed the ability to bring my own ammo to the range. Most ranges I've been to lately seem to make their money from the mark up on their ammo sales, when you can only use their ammo.

G9M&P15

imported post

I go to the NRA range on a regular basis, best, cleanest, most well-managed indoor range I've ever used.

They'd better keep letting me bring ammunition, because they won't sell to anyone under 21.

TFred

imported post

nova wrote:
The NRA building is definately OC friendly. An NRA rep said once that it wouldn't look good if the NRA had a gun ban in their own building. :lol:
Wow, yeah could you just imagine if the press got ahold of something like that??

TFred

kle

imported post

KimberG19 wrote:
I go to the NRA range on a regular basis, best, cleanest, most well-managed indoor range I've ever used.

They'd better keep letting me bring ammunition, because they won't sell to anyone under 21.
Heck, they even let you bring your own guns! :p

Yeah, the NRA HQ Range is the best public indoor range around, compared to Blue Ridge Arsenal (which is definitely within bicycling distance of my house) and Gilbert's Small Arms (which is 40 minutes from my house on a good day).

It's also nice that it's on my way home from work--I go there for the MPL match on Mondays, and then practically every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday during the week.

Strangely enough, though, I haven't been to the museum yet...

tag

imported post

kle wrote:
KimberG19 wrote:

Yeah, the NRA HQ Range is the best public indoor range around, compared to Blue Ridge Arsenal (which is definitely within bicycling distance of my house) and Gilbert's Small Arms (which is 40 minutes from my house on a good day).

It's also nice that it's on my way home from work--I go there for the MPL match on Mondays, and then practically every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday during the week.

Does the NRA range rent out any firearms? Is there an age restriction?

nova

imported post

tag wrote:
kle wrote:
KimberG19 wrote:

Does the NRA range rent out any firearms? Is there an age restriction?
I don't know if they rent firearms (I didn't see any last time I was there) but you have to be 21 to shoot there (or be with someone 21+) and they only sell ammo to 21+ even if not for a handgun.

cmbf117

imported post

Just shot there today, I love that range. Busted out my trusty old G19 and brand new, never before shot G30SF. Both performed without a hiccup. :D

The range does not rent guns, but they have everything else. Ammo, targets, stapleguns, and a decent price considering the quality of the facility. Guess a big organization like the NRA can afford to keep it under $20. Blue Ridge Arsenal, which charges more in fact, is terrible compared to the NRA range, though they do rent. But if you rent, you can only shoot their ammo in the rental gun.

tag

imported post

cmbf117 wrote:
Just shot there today, I love that range. Busted out my trusty old G19 and brand new, never before shot G30SF. Both performed without a hiccup. :D

The range does not rent guns, but they have everything else. Ammo, targets, stapleguns, and a decent price considering the quality of the facility. Guess a big organization like the NRA can afford to keep it under $20. Blue Ridge Arsenal, which charges more in fact, is terrible compared to the NRA range, though they do rent. But if you rent, you can only shoot their ammo in the rental gun.

How old do you have to be to rent/shoot?

edit: referring to Blue Ridge Arsenal

cmbf117

imported post

tag wrote:
cmbf117 wrote:

How old do you have to be to rent/shoot?

edit: referring to Blue Ridge Arsenal
You'll probably want to check out their rule page on their website: http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=91

FYI, you have to be 21+ (or be with someone who is 21+) to rent.

zer0cool

imported post

Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys. But I was wondering if anyone does know if one is allowed to oc/cc @ the museum? I'm thinking about taking a trip for my birthday but didn't wanna fly anywhere and there's some places I'd like to visit in VA including the museum... Also at NRA HQ is there really anything to do there? I mean besides the range? Any and all info is helpful, including other places worth visiting in your great state.

Thanks in advance!:D

nova

imported post

zer0cool wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys. But I was wondering if anyone does know if one is allowed to oc/cc @ the museum? I'm thinking about taking a trip for my birthday but didn't wanna fly anywhere and there's some places I'd like to visit in VA including the museum... Also at NRA HQ is there really anything to do there? I mean besides the range? Any and all info is helpful, including other places worth visiting in your great state.

OC or CC is fine at the museum last time I was there (a few months ago), and every time before that (5 or 6 times). :cool:

kle

imported post

zer0cool wrote:

OC/CC is OK. Besides the Range and the Museum, there isn't much else I do at the NRA HQ.

curtiswr

imported post

Well the NRA isn't known to be the most supportive of open carry, as evidenced by the Virginia state forest issue. :uhoh: