• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mailing a gun

adamsesq

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
When in doubt go to the source ......

From the ATF's FAQ (http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10) about shipping to yourself:

Yes and no. When in doubt, go to the source - 922 itself, NOT the BATF's FAQ. There are areas where their FAQ does not match the law. For example, the FAQ says you have to notify the shipper that it is a firearm. That is NOT the law if you read 922.

In this particular case the FAQ is accurate.

-adamsesq

zakst1

imported post

So to whoever may be interested, I did fly with the gun. Declaring it at Seattle was beyond easy. I said, "I need to declare a.." and the baggage handler said "ok" before I could say "firearm." No problem, no showing clear. He just asked if it was unloaded and locked separately from ammo. Sign a little tag and we checked it in with oversize luggage at the TSA window.

Returning was a little different. I had expected Boston to be more of the hassle. I said that I needed to declare a firearm. The lady was on her fourth day on the job and had to get her manager. The manager said that she needed me to show that the weapon was clear. So to make sure, I repeated to her in a question, "you are telling me to open the case and physically handle the firearm in the airport to show clear, correct?" She said yes, so did as directed. The only hassle was digging through the suitcase and unlocking the cable lock to the frame of the suitcase (extra precautionary measure), then also the lock to the case. We were close to missing the flight as well due to weather/travel, so I was already somewhat nervous.

Other than that, it was hassle free... the way it should be. I realized when we were back home in New Hampshire that the idea of always carrying a gun on me was nowhere near as big an issue to me as it is over here in Washington. It is such a simple and different world over there, unless you are in southern New Hampshire which feels like it is ever so being Massachusettized (or becoming more urbanized)...

But anyhoo, we are back here now and resuming to always carry and be paranoid of living around so many people.

shad0wfax

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
So to whoever may be interested, I did fly with the gun. Declaring it at Seattle was beyond easy. I said, "I need to declare a.." and the baggage handler said "ok" before I could say "firearm." No problem, no showing clear. He just asked if it was unloaded and locked separately from ammo. Sign a little tag and we checked it in with oversize luggage at the TSA window.

Returning was a little different. I had expected Boston to be more of the hassle. I said that I needed to declare a firearm. The lady was on her fourth day on the job and had to get her manager. The manager said that she needed me to show that the weapon was clear. So to make sure, I repeated to her in a question, "you are telling me to open the case and physically handle the firearm in the airport to show clear, correct?" She said yes, so did as directed. The only hassle was digging through the suitcase and unlocking the cable lock to the frame of the suitcase (extra precautionary measure), then also the lock to the case. We were close to missing the flight as well due to weather/travel, so I was already somewhat nervous.

Other than that, it was hassle free... the way it should be. I realized when we were back home in New Hampshire that the idea of always carrying a gun on me was nowhere near as big an issue to me as it is over here in Washington. It is such a simple and different world over there, unless you are in southern New Hampshire which feels like it is ever so being Massachusettized (or becoming more urbanized)...

But anyhoo, we are back here now and resuming to always carry and be paranoid of living around so many people.
I'm glad it went well for you and I've been checking this thread because I was curious if it went ok. The laws where you travelled to are nuts, so it's a relief to hear that you made it back without legal hassles.