Thread: Open carried for the first time last night

Post imported post

I finally open carried last night, and then later in the evening talked to some LEO in Cary, NC about open carrying.

First off, the Open Carry went fine, no one seemed to noticed, although I only really went to a movie store with it.

I did see some LEOs at the movie theater just eating popcorn at the entrance when I came in, and I decided to ask them their take on open carry.

They said open carry is completely legal in NC, and there is nothing they can do to stop it. He said to be prepared to have a couple conversations with LEO and that people will call the cops on you, but there is nothing they can do about it.

He mentioned the "going armed to terrorize" or whatever law, and then said "that is something completely different from open carrying though" which I thought was nice to hear for a leo.

Thas it.

Post imported post

Refreshing to hear indeed, after all I've read about OC in that area.

Post imported post

I OC in Cary every day, and I've never had any problems...Glad you the LEO were educated on the subject. I hope you weren't OC'ing at the theater though.

Post imported post

Nope, not at the theater.

I'll start OC'ing more around Cary.

Post imported post

Add another first open carry for the weekend. I'mon the south edge of Raleigh. Earlier this evening, OC'd while at a grocery store. No problems either.

Just got my holsterin earlier this week that has retention, figured I needed to try it. Will be OCing more for sure.

Post imported post

I open carried for the first time yesterday.Broke the ice buying some gum at a gas station,then went to Walmart. One gentleman came up and asked me how long Ive been OC. I told him about 15 min. No problems. I have yet to tell my wife.

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

i am so happy to hear of more and more folks open carrying.

this is really great!

Post imported post

Been OCing in Concord/Kannapolis on the weekends for about 2 months now, with my family, no problems, just some funny looks.

Post imported post

I just bought my first weapon at the gun show in Raleigh Saturday and I couldn't wait to open carry. I love having my Smith and Wesson M&P .40 on my right hip with my extra mag on the left.

I carried Sunday and Monday without incident. A few looks, one girl asking if I was a cop then wiggin out when I said no. One guy said "Oh man you packin" when he noticed. Altogether it's been great.

Post imported post

Where were you when you were asked if you were a cop. Was it a place where the girl was working, or was it just in passing?

Post imported post

It was a place where she was working. She was a cashier and when I told her no she said why are you carrying that? I said well how else am I supposed to get to it?

Her: Don't you need a permt?

Me and Her more educated co-worker in unison: Not to open Carry.

Co-Worker: My dad wouldn't leave me at home by myself till I learned to shoot.

Her: I'm scared of guns.

Me: Well we tend to be afraid of things we don't know about. If you learn about firearms your fear will probably turn into a respect.

Her: Well I still don't like them.

Me: Well if someone came in here with a gun robbing the place wouldn't you feel more comfortable that a person like me with good moral character had a gun too?

Her: Well you could miss...Long As I can get out of the way.

I digressed at that point and completed my purchase. She wasn't rude at all and I'm sure she and her co-worker continued the conversation once I left.

Post imported post

Ok, I think more of us should carry through there. Maybe her seeing more people carry will put her more at ease.

Where exactly was this?

Post imported post

I was picking up some shampoo at Sally's Beauty Supply in Greensboro. It's the one on Holden Rd. in the Shopping center next to Wet n' Wild Emerald Point.

Post imported post

What would be awesome would be to get some women to stop through there open carrying. I wonder what our female membership population is.

Post imported post

jp49911 wrote:
    I just bought my first weapon at the gun show in Raleigh Saturday and I couldn't wait to open carry. I love having my Smith and Wesson M&P .40 on my right hip with my extra mag on the left.

I carried Sunday and Monday without incident. A few looks, one girl asking if I was a cop then wiggin out when I said no. One guy said "Oh man you packin" when he noticed. Altogether it's been great.
    I always seem to hear about the gun show(s) in Raleigh AFTER they happen. Do they get posted here or some place that I need to link to?

TIA,

RK

Post imported post

There is another one in two weeks at the fairgrounds.

Dixie gun & Knife show in Raleigh- May 2-3 2009

http://www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/raleigh.html

Post imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
    There is another one in two weeks at the fairgrounds.

Dixie gun & Knife show in Raleigh- May 2-3 2009

http://www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/raleigh.html
    Two weeks? What happened to April......

Thanks for the schedule, appreciate the reply.

RK

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

lol, yeah, are we not doing that month anymore?

cuz i didnt get the memo..
    :celebrate

Post imported post

It was a copy and paste from another site. Didn't read before I posted because I'm special.

Post imported post

If you go to their web site or to a show and register with them you will get more notifications than you can imagine. Been there done that.

Post imported post

New guy here.

I just bought my first handgun on the 4th. Taurus PT92. I sucked it up for ammo prices and bought 200 rounds of 9mm when I got the pistol. I put about 100 rounds through it the same day. And then Today, well yesterday the 5th, I took the plunge and decided to OC. First place i went was the Taco Bell in huntersville(i think thats the county, off of 73 near birkdale village?). The first person that saw me was the cashier.

He didn't say anything to me but when my brother got up there to place his order, he asked my brother if i was a cop. lol. told the guy no. Then he asked if i had a permit. My brother said "For what?" and then explained the OC law as i had explained to him.
    My little bro is awesome.

Then i went home. And about 9 last night, i went to the gas station. No wierd looks or questions or anything.

Post imported post

Usa gun show will give you a list of all the gun shows in the country. Don't know how to give you the url. just type it in ,sorry.