• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police shooting in Everett

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

from the PI
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/387069_copshooting09.html?source=rss

Investigators plan to search the residence where the shooting happened. They have not determined how many shots were fired nor whether the alleged burglar fired any shots.

edit:
I carry a 1911 locked and cocked and 3 magazines totalling 25 rounds. One empty magazine and two full ones equals 9 rounds shot. Is there no standard basic load (IE three magazines) that a cop carries?

Since the guy died at the scene where was his gun? What type of gun? Wheel or auto? Internal Affairs (or what ever it is called now) "should" have a field day with this one !!

bluer1

imported post

Hey, Check out the KOMO story...The guy that was shot was apparently the "bad guy". Now look at all the comments below, think about what some of these people are saying since they've only heard KOMO's side of the story...

We'll see how long it takes them to edit it. I saw the story this morning, and they haven't yet.

http://www.komonews.com/news/34144164.html

FMCDH

imported post

Here is an MSNBC link that gives a bit more info.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation finds on this.
Was this guy on drugs? Or suppose to be? Where did he get the gun?
LOE don't shoot people for fun. They know the paperwork and pain
that such actions cause. I also know that Everett police officers
have very good training when it comes to use of force. They are one
of the better police departments in the state. IMO

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27622046/

amlevin

imported post

I read this this AM in the Everett Herald. It appears, by their account, that neighbors called the cops because someone was breaking windows and kicking in a door. When they arrived they were met by an armed individual that refused to obey their orders.

I don't know what exactly happened (nor does anyone else here) but I wouldn't be too quick to judge the officer's actions. What might you do if you were one of these officers, the subject refuses to put down a gun, and then he makes a move that you determine (in a split second) to be threatening? It's going to be difficult to find out what happened when all the facts are in one place. Impossible to do with only speculation.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

let me guess, the investigation will find they did everything in there power to avoid this tragedy, but the cops were in the right. :X

whatever happened to shooting once or twice to put the perp down instead of emptying a clip.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

If the guy did in fact refuse to drop his shotgun and made any motion at all of aiming or pointing it at the officers, then he got what he deserved.

You shoot til the threat is gone, that may mean going to slide lock and even a reload. Until the gun is out of the guys hand and he is on the ground he is still a threat.

It isn't like the movies, a few rounds of 9mm or .40 doesn't send a person flying backwards. On top of that, cops have about a 25-30% hit ratio in a shooting so out of 15 rounds you may only get 5 hits.

I think it is still way too early to start passing judgment on the cops, there is a lot of info that we aren't getting at this point, and will likely never get.

bluer1

imported post

911Boss wrote:
On top of that, cops have about a 25-30% hit ratio in a shooting so out of 15 rounds you may only get 5 hits.
Now that's just downright sad. Someone send them to CQC training camp. I would expect better eyes closed with an uzi.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
cops should be charged with murder.
Why? Ya know, we don't have the whole story on this. But if you want to sound like a yahoo, go right ahead. Jeez, iinocnt until guilty and all that garbage. You must have confused the WA OC forum with the WA bash cops forum. Way to perpetuate us v them.

suntzu

imported post

joeroket wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:
And you know the whole story?? That is a pretty bold statement to make without knowing the entire story.
If the tables were turned--do you think the police would show you the same courtesy? I could almost guarantee you that they would have you sitting in jail awaiting a bond hearing--if you got one...now you tell me why these police officers deserve to be treated any differently than they would treat the average citizen?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Again DO YOU HAVE THE WHOLE STORY? All we are seeing is the news report, which is probably pretty thin on details right now. And actually if what I read in the NRA's armed citizen is to be believed, few self defense shootings end in an arrest of the person who was defending themselves.

So go ahead, keep trying to divide cops from citizens. It's working. Mistrust, anger, hatred. Good job!

OR, do what most responsible citizens do. Wait for the whole story.

joeroket

imported post

suntzu wrote:
joeroket wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:
And you know the whole story?? That is a pretty bold statement to make without knowing the entire story.
If the tables were turned--do you think the police would show you the same courtesy? I could almost guarantee you that they would have you sitting in jail awaiting a bond hearing--if you got one...now you tell me why these police officers deserve to be treated any differently than they would treat the average citizen?
If I got one what? An intruder in my home who was armed?? I can guarantee I would not be in jail awaiting bond if it was reversed.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:
Why? Ya know, we don't have the whole story on this. But if you want to sound like a yahoo, go right ahead. Jeez, iinocnt until guilty and all that garbage. You must have confused the WA OC forum with the WA bash cops forum. Way to perpetuate us v them.
sorry, a man standing in a doorway of his own house doesn't deserve to be killed. i think those facts are enough.

LEOs are not our masters, if you're standing in your house and they come and give you orders for no reason you think you should have to obey them? You should ignore unlawful orders by LEOs its your duty as an american per out founding fathers.

For LEOs they defiantly need a ask questions first shoot later approach. does this make thier job more dangerous? maybe. if they didn't want a dangerous job don't become a LEO.

One innocent man dying is too much, if all it took was for those LEO clowns to step back or take cover and start asking questions, rather than drawing down and giving orders to avoid this innocent person dying. its well worth it.

Its nice the govt thinks (in a lot of states) we should attempt to run away or hide first, but agents of the govt (LEOs) should shoot to kill first and figure out what happened later. its ok, the sheep will pick up the tab on any lawsuits.

to protect and serve :?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

What if the man standing in the doorway of his home was holding a weapon on the cops as they approached him? We don't know all the facts yet. You are running on pure emotion, not facts. Think like a reporter for a moment, instead of a rabid cop hater. Get the facts, then pass judgement.

joeroket

imported post

It was found that he was not an intruder after the fact. Is it tragic? Yes it is. That hardly makes what happened a crime and it does not mean that the LEO involved are clowns. All three fired which makes me believe that there was reason to fear for their lives.

suntzu

imported post

joeroket wrote:
It was found that he was not an intruder after the fact. Is it tragic? Yes it is. That hardly makes what happened a crime and it does not mean that the LEO involved are clowns. All three fired which makes me believe that there was reason to fear for their lives.
It was contagious--one started shooting and so did the rest--essentially--they panicked. Clowns? We don't really know that--it obviously appears that they were clowns. Time will tell.

How do we know it was not a crime? They shot a man standing in his own doorway-in his own home no less. The fact he was armed was not an open invitation to open fire--unless he was pointing the gun at them. Self-defense statutes should apply in this if that was the case. They should not be on leave with pay while this is investigated--we would get no such luxury. It should not be the local dept. who investigates this--and it should be as thourough an investigation on them as it would be for the average person.