Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not displaying Old Glory at Public meetings(OC Dinner, Picnic, etc) is illegal

Post imported post

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/c...1.001.000.html

I don't recall any US flag at the OC dinner I went to, neither have I seen any flags in videos where there were public picnics... Not displaying Old Glory at public meetings equates to a summary offense.

Oh, and insults to the US flag or the flag of the common wealth is illegal as well.
    http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/c...1.003.000.html

Talk bad about one of the two flags while in it's presence, and its a second degree misdemeanor.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Ahh, but the question needs to be asked: Was this a public gathering or a private gathering? One could reasonably argue for the latter, and, if so, then no offense was committed.

Post imported post

There is no restriction on who can come to OC dinners or picnics, they're open to anyone who wants to come.

I'd love to find out an exact definition. It would be like saying, an Obama rally is for democrats only if you wanted to say the rally was a private gathering.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Banned

Post imported post

The US flag sleeps around with women of questionable morals.

Yeah, I went there.

Post imported post

There is a difference between a private or privately-organized meeting which has been opened to the general public, and a public[/i] meeting suborned/funded/organized by some arm of the government. In legalese, the word public is often used in a confusing manner. Just as there is a definition further on (2103?) of what defines "flag" for purposes of the statute, search further back in Commonwealth law (maybe wayyyyyyy back) for the DEFINITION of what constitutes a public meeting.

Post imported post

WIG19 wrote:
    There is a difference between a private or privately-organized meeting which has been opened to the general public, and a public meeting suborned/funded/organized by some arm of the government. In legalese, the word public is often used in a confusing manner. Just as there is a definition further on (2103?) of what defines "flag" for purposes of the statute, search further back in Commonwealth law (maybe wayyyyyyy back) for the DEFINITION of what constitutes a public meeting.
    Here, I'll post what the definition says about the public meetings.
    [code](a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of a summary
    offense if, being directly or indirectly in charge of any public
    gathering, in any place, he fails at such gathering to display
    publicly and visibly the flag of the United States reasonably
    clean and in good repair.

any public gathering... want to explain to me where a public gathering
    has to be funded by the government?

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    any public gathering... want to explain to me where a public gathering
    has to be funded by the government?
    I can & did read the statute. I'm not disputing what it says. I'm simply suggesting that, in statute, "public meeting" has a specific meaning. It's inthe same sense that gets courts to address things like prayer opening a council meeting (required to be conducted at some interval) that people might object to, VERSUS requiring you to display a flag at the yard sale in front of your house where you may have invited people but are free at any time to terminate, or the brat sale in front of the department store, versus a public school displaying a flag because they take public (read "taxpayer") funds, versus a privately-funded school which is under no compulsion to do so.

I'm reasonably sure that PA has an Open Meetings law (might even be under Ch.7 or 701 of the PA civil statutes somewhere...) . Such laws (like the PA Sunshine Freedom of Information law) often define things like, how much notice, what records have to be kept, access, etc. (remember, no one's making you build a handicapped ramp in front of your yard sale...). For example:

"Meeting." Any prearranged gathering of an agency which is attended or participated in by a quorum of the members of an agency held for the purpose of deliberating agency business or taking official action.

http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook0...en_Records.pdf

Food for thought; again, I don't think the patriot-police are going to come to your driveway, or your open-carry breakfast.

Post imported post

subsection (a) of exception (1)

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to
    gatherings for religious worship.

Indicating this doesn't cover places of worship. Which also infers
    "public gathering" means any type of place open to the public where people
    gather.

I know the patriot-police aren't going to come busting in the door giving
    out summary offenses. I'm simply bringing up the topic since it would
    be nice to have Old Glory at the events.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    I know the patriot-police aren't going to come busting in the door giving
    out summary offenses. I'm simply bringing up the topic since it would
    be nice to have Old Glory at the events.
    The fact that there is a law requiring it, is sufficient reason to not do it.

If the patriot-police starting citing people for this, it would be time to fly a flag, all right: upside down!

Or tell them, "Sorry, you're too late. We had a flag, then we burned it."

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:

If the patriot-police starting citing people for this, it would be time to fly a flag, all right: upside down!

:shock: What the hell is wrong with you, don't you love your country? I like the idea of forcing people to have a flag at public meetings, but that is just me. I love my country.

Banned

Post imported post

So you don't like the concept of freedom.

Gotcha.

Post imported post

I'll have to be the one who brings Old Glory to the dinners and picnics when I'm in PA then, since I'm *free* to do so.

Banned

Post imported post

You're free to, sure.

But this?

I like the idea of forcing people to have a flag at public meetings, but that is just me. I love my country.

This isn't freedom, comrade.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:

:shock: What the hell is wrong with you, don't you love your country? I like the idea of forcing people to have a flag at public meetings, but that is just me. I love my country.
    that's funny; some guyslike the idea of forcing people to be shi'ite muslim.
    Givin' up the tactical advantage since 2008.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Post imported post

So much for law abiding citizens with firearms, eh?

Bring a flag, or I'll make sure LE does a check at every OC dinner or picnic.

Even better, if you don't like the laws, move to a different state. Pennsylvania does not need citizens which are not law abiding.

EDIT: even better

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    I got your flag right here:

Banned

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    So much for law abiding citizens with firearms, eh?

Even better, if you don't like the laws, move to a different state. Pennsylvania does not need citizens which are not law abiding.

EDIT: even better
    You're a @#$%job, did I ever tell you that?

Stay in Alaska.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    okay, herr kangaroo, you win. should we make sure to have ze papers ready as well?
    Givin' up the tactical advantage since 2008.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Banned

Post imported post

I just went outside and gave the flag the finger.

SEND IN THE SWAT TEAM, FURBALL

Post imported post

Wait, doesn't your irreverence for the chauvinistic symbol of a prototyrannical government mean you hate your country? :shock:

Post imported post

The whole point is, be law abiding. If you don't like it, protest to have it changed. If you don't want to do that, stop being a advocate for guns with the, "Only law abiding citizens open carry".

Post imported post

What next- a permit to carry a concealed flag?
    "Congress shall make no law respecting...the right of the people peacably to assemble" (I presume that implies with or without flag).

Post imported post

You beat me to it by a minute.

But you got it. We have no obligation to follow unconstitutional laws.

Post imported post

Hmm, let me guess. You also think laws against speeding should be declared unconstitutional. You think any type of license when needed is unconstitutional as well?

Where does the whole constitutional vs unconstitutional stop in your mind?

Post imported post

No, I think such laws should be repealed simply because they do not work and are counter-productive. Constitutionality has nothing to do with it.

Now, on to your next straw-man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast