• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on CZ52

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yesterday, my boss showed me his CZ52 semi-auto and let me fire it. It appears to be a very simple operating weapon and he tells me that they are quite cheap right now. (just under $100) The ammo for it (5.62 x25)is pretty inexpensive too @ .10 cents per round for bulk orders.

My daughter is looking into getting a handgun for home protection and is currently on a very limited budget. She also has 3 teens (her kids) that she will want to teach how to use it. She also lives in Northern Indiana.

Dahwg

imported post

I'm a big fan of CZs though I've never shot the 52. I've heard they're really fun as well as many othergood things about them. As with anything mechanical things do wear down and break. Justmake sure to check it out thoroughly.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
I'm a big fan of CZs though I've never shot the 52. I've heard they're really fun as well as many othergood things about them. As with anything mechanical things do wear down and break. Justmake sure to check it out thoroughly.
My boss says that the 52 denotes the year it was made/designed. It might come under C&C rules due to the age. His is a SA with no slide lock and manual decocker like the old 1911's. recoil was similar to a .380 berretta cheetah.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Snip.......... His is a SA with no slide lock and manual decocker like the old 1911's. recoil was similar to a .380 berretta cheetah.
Wha????

Yata hey

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think a lot of the bulk ammunition for it may be corrosive.

Its still good to shoot, you just have to clean it up ASAP after shooting it, and neutralize the salts with a base (like ammonia) or dilute it with some water (and then dry it really well to avoid rust.)

jeeper1

imported post

The original firing pins break easily. Replace it with an American made machined one.
Never dry fire a CZ52!
Most surplus ammo is corrosive.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
The original firing pins break easily. Replace it with an American made machined one.
Never dry fire a CZ52!
Most surplus ammo is corrosive.
Thanks, I'll remember that.

I misspoke about the ammo. It uses 7.62 x 25, not 5.62. Idid seethat the Tok canned ammo is corrosive.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
My daughter is looking into getting a handgun for home protection...

That is a the first mistake. Get a Shotgun for home defense, not a pea-shooter that you will be shaking around in your hand like a dog trying to poop a peach seed.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

That is a the first mistake. Get a Shotgun for home defense, not a pea-shooter that you will be shaking around in your hand like a dog trying to poop a peach seed.

In close quarters, such as in a room, a shotgun can be batted aside by an intruder. A handgun, not so easy. The CZ52 isn't exactly a peashooter and it doesn't hop around in the hand so much either.

A long gun is an option to consider of course. She doesn't know what she wants to get yet. Her kids are all big enough to learn how to handle a firearm and she does want them to know how to use what ever she gets. She's coming down for Thanksgiving and we'll have a chance to put a few different guns in their hands for sampling.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Although the CZ52 is a wonderful hand gun with a weak firing pin.....it isn't the best for defense. The bullet penetrates too much. It is a HOT round.

It can be carried cocked and locked. Both ofmine DO have the decocker.

To test decocker....UNLOAD it. Cock and put on safe. Point muzzle safely upwards.Put eraser end of pencil down barrel and push safety UP to limit. Hammer will drop and if decocker is working, pencil will NOT shoot out of barrel.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Although the CZ52 is a wonderful hand gun with a weak firing pin.....it isn't the best for defense. The bullet penetrates too much. It is a HOT round.

It can be carried cocked and locked. Both ofmine DO have the decocker.

To test decocker....UNLOAD it. Cock and put on safe. Point muzzle safely upwards.Put eraser end of pencil down barrel and push safety UP to limit. Hammer will drop and if decocker is working, pencil will NOT shoot out of barrel.

Thanks MrMitch.

We had not tried pushing the safety switch beyond the "Safe" position. It didn't decock there so we thought it wasn't equiped. We tried pushing it past "safe" this morning and sure enough it did decock. Did the pencil test and it does work properly.

Michigander

imported post

My opinion is don't get one. When I negligently dropped mine, it fell on the ground, landed on the hammer, and shot me through the leg. The hammer was down, the safety was on. They are not safe to carry cocked and locked because the decocker can't be trusted. Nor can you trust them hammer down as I found out. Mine was checked out by a smith and the safety features worked fine, and within less than 2,000 rounds, it was worn out and dangerous.

They are fun to shoot, but as mentioned they are a terribly innefective man stopper. The bullet that hit me went clean through my tibea, then it went through a cememt wall. When the cops recovered it, it looked like it was ready to be reloaded. It was just a regular lead core Romanian round. They are NOT good for defensive purposes. They over penetrate and don't expand at all.

The only way I think they should ever be loaded is if you hook a wrist loop of string to that little lanyard hole on the butt so they can't possibly fall to the ground.

My best advice is don't get one. If you want a cheap handgun, there are plenty of other options.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
My opinion is don't get one. When I negligently dropped mine, it fell on the ground, landed on the hammer, and shot me through the leg. The hammer was down, the safety was on. They are not safe to carry cocked and locked because the decocker can't be trusted. Nor can you trust them hammer down as I found out. Mine was checked out by a smith and the safety features worked fine, and within less than 2,000 rounds, it was worn out and dangerous.

They are fun to shoot, but as mentioned they are a terribly innefective man stopper. The bullet that hit me went clean through my tibea, then it went through a cememt wall. When the cops recovered it, it looked like it was ready to be reloaded. It was just a regular lead core Romanian round. They are NOT good for defensive purposes. They over penetrate and don't expand at all.

The only way I think they should ever be loaded is if you hook a wrist loop of string to that little lanyard hole on the butt so they can't possibly fall to the ground.

My best advice is don't get one. If you want a cheap handgun, there are plenty of other options.
Thanks Michigander, I'll take that under advisement. We'll definitly be looking at other options. It sounds as though the CZ52 might be a good "battle" weapon to have around, considering the power of the hot round, should the crap really hit the fan.

Thundar

imported post

I have a CZ 52. Fun gun to shoot, but not a great gun for self defense. It does not have the modern safety features, is not well balanced andhas a significant kick that makes reaquisition of the target difficult for a second shot.

It is fun on a range, with everybody wanting to know what the gun that spits fire is.

DO NOT trust the manual decocking.

I'll probably get flame sprayed for saying this but the HiPoint 9mm is a more functional gun for about the same price. The CZ 82 is a great self defense gun, but costs about $50 more.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

In close quarters, such as in a room, a shotgun can be batted aside by an intruder...

Anything can be. If you let anyone get that close to you, you do NOT have the proper mindset.

I would be moreafriad of someone with the proper mindset and a hammer than someone with the wrong mindset and a M249 SAW.

Legba

imported post

Good side: They are affordable and loud enough to deafen attackers indoors, even if you don't hit them.

Bad side: the 7.62x25mm is a small, fast round, which don't tend to transfer energy in the desired way - i.e. they tend to overpenetrate and end up lodged in the neighbor's wall (or their dog or kid or whatever).

Maybe if they came up with a light load hollow point or something, it'd be better, but there aren't any commercial rounds like that, to my knowledge. I'd save it for beer can sniping.

-ljp

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks everyone. I'm now leaning away from the CZ52 as a home defense weapon. I have access to other handguns that she can sample, to get an idea what she can handle as well as her teen kids.

Once she decides on a weapon, she knows some shooters at her church in Indiana that can help her and the kids with safe handling and shooting of what ever she chooses.

david.ross

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Yesterday, my boss showed me his CZ52 semi-auto and let me fire it. It appears to be a very simple operating weapon and he tells me that they are quite cheap right now. (just under $100)
Where are CZ52 platforms available for "just under $100"?