• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County False Arrest Status?

Deanimator

imported post

Does anyone know what's going on with the case of the false arrest by Fairfax County officers of the guy from North Carolina? I cited it elsewhere this morning as an example why not to notify if the law doesn't require it. I spent the better part of a couple of hours trying to remember where I saw it so that I could quote it. Now I'm curious as to what's happening. A more litigation-worthy example of police abuse of authority (without somebody being beaten or shot) I don't recall seeing in a long time. A magistrate has even already characterized it on the record as false arrest.

Thanks.

MeBaby

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Does anyone know what's going on with the case of the false arrest by Fairfax County officers of the guy from North Carolina? I cited it elsewhere this morning as an example why not to notify if the law doesn't require it. I spent the better part of a couple of hours trying to remember where I saw it so that I could quote it. Now I'm curious as to what's happening. A more litigation-worthy example of police abuse of authority (without somebody being beaten or shot) I don't recall seeing in a long time. A magistrate has even already characterized it on the record as false arrest.

Thanks.

Here's the original post. I haven't heard any more about it either.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13724&forum_id=54&jump_to=221234#p221234

Deanimator

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Thanks.

Here's the original post. I haven't heard any more about it either.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13724&forum_id=54&jump_to=221234#p221234
Thanks. I actually found it before I posted, but I probably wasn't clear about it. It took me a while to remember, and I had to search five forums to do it. It'd be nice to know what was going on, because this was one of the most blatant examples of, "I don't know the law, so I'll make something up". That needs to be ruthlessly beaten out of the perpetrators, without one iota of mercy.

TFred

imported post

Tess wrote:
See the July 29 VA-ALERT. Item 2 was an update.
Here is a link to the July 29 VA-ALERT. Unfortunately, it refers to a June 23 special alert, which has dropped off the bottom of the archive index. Anybody know how to access the older alerts?

TFred

ETA: Found the June 23 alert here!

This article was reported just prior to my becoming aware of VCDL, so I didn't see it when it first came out. It really just astounds me that this sort of thing could actually happen in a modern police department. While I'm sure it would be no fun to endure such an incident... I can't help but imagine the smiles I would have on my face, as I would be imagining how I would spend the eventual settlement money I would be getting for flushing out these folks.
:celebrate

Deanimator

imported post

TFred wrote:
Tess wrote:
See the July 29 VA-ALERT. Item 2 was an update.
Here is a link to the July 29 VA-ALERT. Unfortunately, it refers to a June 23 special alert, which has dropped off the bottom of the archive index. Anybody know how to access the older alerts?

TFred

ETA: Found the June 23 alert here!

This article was reported just prior to my becoming aware of VCDL, so I didn't see it when it first came out. It really just astounds me that this sort of thing could actually happen in a modern police department. While I'm sure it would be no fun to endure such an incident... I can't help but imagine the smiles I would have on my face, as I would be imagining how I would spend the eventual settlement money I would be getting for flushing out these folks.
:celebrate
Well, if it were me, I'd be buying a nickeled Colt M1911 with elephant ivory grips instead of a nickeled RIA M1911A1 for Christmas!