Thread: 38 special

Post imported post

What are some of your thoughts about carrying a 38 special?

Post imported post

If that is what you got or like. Its your choice. They are reliable.

Post imported post

If that is what you got or like. Its your choice. They are reliable.

Post imported post

I carried one for a while. My dad's old S&W Model 10.

I would, especially if you already have one.

Post imported post

OCwith1911 wrote:
    "The .38 Special was the standard service cartridge of most police departments in the United States from the 1920s to the early 1990s....."

"The .38 Special was introduced in 1899 as an improvement over the .38 Long Colt which, as a military service cartridge, was found to have inadequate stopping power against the wooden shields of charging Moros during the Philippine-American War.[6][/suP] Most handloading manuals and other references date the cartridge to 1902 and the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver variation of that year. The letter pictured provides the true history of the cartridge. Although it was introduced thirteen years into the smokeless powder era, the .38 Special was originally loaded with black powder, but was offered with smokeless loads within a year of its introduction.[7][/suP] The .38 Special is very accurate in a quality revolver, produces little recoil, and remains the most popular revolver cartridge in the world more than a century after its introduction.[8][/suP] It is used for target shooting and formal target competition, for hunting small game, and for self-defense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

That should about cover it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

OCwith1911 wrote:

The answers would depend on why you were asking.

Are you thinking to buy one? Carry one you already own? Advising someone else? Seeking information for an existing excessive forcelawsuit?

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.