• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being Pro-Active

TechnoWeenie

imported post

After the whole crap at Safeway in Olympia, which I STILL haven't recieved a call from the district manager about, I wondered about possible steps to prevent such things from happening, such as us going OUT to stores to educate management, employees, etc. Granted, it won't stop managers wanting to push a personal agenda onto an unwilling customer, but it would give those workers a better undrestanding of the hows/whys of what we're doing.

In that light, I went to the Safeway in Hawks Prairie, and talked to a manager there, explaining the situation (while I was carrying concealed). She knew I wasn't a threat, and acknowledges that she sees me all the time, and some employees have asked her about me, and she's always given them the 'he's fine' speech.. She did NOT know, however, that open carry was legal in WA, wether she meant 'legal without a permit' , or PERIOD, I'm not too sure about.. But she was very receptive, acknowledged that it was a good idea to have employees educated on it, even if it wasn't something that was a frequent occurance, and agreed to take some pamphlets on WA gun law and put them in the break room..

NOW.. My question is...

WHY aren't we doing things like this more often? Maybe work with a police department to put out a 'this is legal' brochure, and offer tips from an officer on what to look for in terms of suspicious behaviour, and have a firearms instructor to lend a little bit of credibility to our cause.. The fact is, people listen to titles, they'd be a lot more willing to listen to joe officer or joe firearms instructor than John the rights activist carrying a gun.. Know what I mean?

I think we need to go on the attack, approach businesses in a friendly manner, with a 'hey, you might not understand everything, but we want to educate your employees on WHY we do this so there's no misunderstandings'... and if we get a 'NO! I don't want guns in my store!' then we put them on the do not patronize list and be done with it...

Even with one store a day, we can VERY quickly weed through those that support our rights, and those that don't.. and further educate the public about our rights, and reduce the likelihood of misunderstandings (and angry managers demanding ID and papers, hehe).

deanf

imported post

I see your proposal as just another form of "asking permission" for open carry. I don't find the need to do that.

Walk in like you own the place, carry yourself with a certain joie de vivre, leave if asked without making a big deal out of it, knowing you will have the last laugh.

Maybe work with a police department to put out a 'this is legal' brochure, and offer tips from an officer on what to look for in terms of suspicious behaviour (sic), and have a firearms instructor to lend a little bit of credibility to our cause..

Who's gonna pay for it?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Reminds me of a small open carry dinner I went to one time. Guy asked me if I had cleared OC with the management. I said "Why? It's legal." You wouldn't check ahead to see if your t-shirt was allowed in, why do the same with guns?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Reminds me of a small open carry dinner I went to one time.  Guy asked me if I had cleared OC with the management.  I said "Why?  It's legal."  You wouldn't check ahead to see if your t-shirt was allowed in, why do the same with guns?

I'm not asking for permission, I'm educating people on our cause.

you can't win a war when people are unwilling (or uncaring).

just_a_car

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Reminds me of a small open carry dinner I went to one time. Guy asked me if I had cleared OC with the management. I said "Why? It's legal." You wouldn't check ahead to see if your t-shirt was allowed in, why do the same with guns?

Yes, but it's easier for a manager to tell you "no, you can't do that here in the future" than it is to say "all you paying customers have to leave."

It goes along with the adage that It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Reminds me of a small open carry dinner I went to one time.  Guy asked me if I had cleared OC with the management.  I said "Why?  It's legal."  You wouldn't check ahead to see if your t-shirt was allowed in, why do the same with guns?

Yes, but it's easier for a manager to tell you "no, you can't do that here in the future" than it is to say "all you paying customers have to leave."

It goes along with the adage that It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I'm not asking for permission...We don't need permission.

I think it's better that the uneducated masses be EDUCATED as to what we're doing, and why we're doing it, instead of just flaunting it in their face and saying 'we're going to do this because we can!' without any explanation.... It paints us as being gun nuts, not rights activists..

just_a_car

imported post

Personally, I see it more as "if they want to know, they'll ask."

Otherwise, I just go about my business as usual.

Trust me, I also OC to educate and have had the opportunity to educate many of the public and a few LEOs. But I see the pro-active education as being too aggressive and coming across like just another nut-group pushing their agenda (see: Hippies).

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

At the car show on Saturday at the Tacoma Dome there were Costco folks there from corporate trying to sign members up. They asked if I was a member and I replied "Have you changed your policy on allowing the lawful carry of a weapon in your store?" The lady had me repeat the question. I informed her of costco's policy and told her I cannot support a place that will not let me lawfully carry as Walmart, Lowes & Home Depot will.
She was unaware of the policy for customers. She then asked me why I carry? I told her for the situations like the one in Texas where the guy had entered the Costco store because he was running from the cops and had a weapon. The Tacoma Mall shooting. She was very interested in fixing the policy but as a Marketing Director I doubt she has much pull.
Thats about as pro-active as I can get, given the opportunity.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

If you wanna be pro active one of the best things you can probaly do is get on the Va forums and talk to people on there alot of those guys are involved in vcdl ( virginia citizens defense league) and they are very proactive with stores, police departments, lobbying ect. Ive been living in Va since 05 and have seen alot of good done buy these guys.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Personally, I see it more as "if they want to know, they'll ask."

Otherwise, I just go about my business as usual.

Trust me, I also OC to educate and have had the opportunity to educate many of the public and a few LEOs. But I see the pro-active education as being too aggressive and coming across like just another nut-group pushing their agenda (see: Hippies).
I think we did more good when we were metal detecting in that park, than all the preemptive letters to managers in town would do. Plus a lot of places flat out don't care.