• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's Your Call With Lynn Doyle Rescheduled - wed 12 NOV 9-10pm eastern time on Comcast's channel CN8

shefearsnothing

imported post

UPDATE: Click thru http://www.cn8.tv/CN8Home/default.aspx?lc=newto try to watch live!

--

Ok, so far this week I was asked to appear on Tuesday and then this morning it was changed to Wednesday so it looks like Wednesday the 12th is the date. (crosses fingers that it's not going to be changed AGAIN or my husband is going to shoot me himself!)

I asked about the panel members for the debate and it's to be the same people that were previously scheduled. For anyone who missed the previous post they are:

- Tom Adkins

http://www.commonconservative.com <http://www.commonconservative.com/>

http://www.commonconservative.com/adkins...-toc.shtml <http://www.commonconservative.com/adkins/adkins-toc.shtml>

- Sean Burke

Member of the Lawrence, MA Police Force

- Bryan Miller

Executive Director, CeaseFireNJ

http://www.ceasefirenj.com <http://www.ceasefirenj.com/>

The links are the ones that Chrissy sent me via email so I don't know if that is Bryan Miller's blog or not but he has one online. He's a real piece of work, let me tell you. Also, Sean Burke is not just a cop. He is also part of some safety council for schools. (was originally posted on opencarry.org and now I can't find the post.) Tom Adkins is the one who will be "on my side" so to speak.

The show airs from 9pm-10pm eastern time on Comcast's channel CN8 but I believe Mike posted a link previously for you to view online if you're not a Comcast customer. The show is live so viewers can call in during the show. Any questions, comments, suggestions etc, please let me know. :)

(Yep, I'm a nervous wreck. Yes, I think I know what I am wearing but you know, with a woman that's always subject to change 100 times between now and then. And yep, I'm a nervous wreck.) :shock:

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Relax, you'll do fine. You've already demonstrated that. The detractors probably aren't ready for you. Just enjoy shining your light. Have fun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Be yourself and everything will be fine - look forward to watching.

Yata hey

gotarheels03

imported post

Just keep in mind that Bryan Miller is probably going to get very nasty with you. Keep your cool and let him showcase his bigotry. Don't get sucked in. Even more importantly, don't let him shift the debate to emotional BS, which is exactly what he'll be trying to do.

Good luck!

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Awesome Meleanie, your facts and logic blew Bryan's emotional rhetoric out of the water. Well done.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You did just fine Mel. According to the hostess Lynn, Mr. Miller has been emotionally affected by a personal incident; it is unlikely that you can ever change the mind of someone so emotionally invested in their opinion. (See http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htmfor a description of the psychology behind this.)

I missed the LEO's name, but he seems to be one who only believes that LEOs are capable of responsible gun handling. You did well quoting him the 11% vs 2% figure of wrongful police shootings vs wrongful gun owner shootings.

A venue like this show will never allow for you to change the minds of the panel, but your presentation of both fact and emotional impact will certainly have a positive effect on someone who is not well informed but who is open to honest discussion.

Spectre

imported post

It was nothing more than attempted railroading, but you stood your ground, presented the facts, and showed those bleeding hearts what it's like to have values.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Fantastic job! I tried for the entire show to get through.

So those on the other side of the table only fear what might happen if they see your gun. If you had CCd, the danger they preceived would have gone away.
Ridiculous!

Congratulations Melaine, we are all very proud of you - once again, a fine job of representing responsible Americans.

Yata hey

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I particularly enjoyed your illustration of a normal activity for you, herding/lugging three small children, and how that might well impede your ability to deploy your weapon to defend yourself and them against an attack.Bryan could not even concede that as a possibility because it did not support his position. Sean seemed to at least understand the validity of the point.

I think you opened a lot of eyes tonight. Again, you are a great ambassador for the OC movement. Thanks.

shefearsnothing

imported post

Of course I open carried. When Bryan Miller walked into the green room I was in there with one of the staff members who introduced us. The first thing out of Bryan's mouth was "did you bring your gun?" and I said "yes of course". He said "what a jerk!" I said "why thank you Bryan for bringing your true colors to share with us today." Steve (staff member) says "what? what did you say to her?" and he says "I called her a jerk! She's a jerk!" and Steve said "there's no reason for that. it's her right" and Bryan cuts him off and starts YELLING "what right? she has no right! There is NO SUCH RIGHT!" at which point Steve says to me "let's go in here and talk" and he takes me to another room.....

So we talk in another room and he assures me that Lynn will not allow personal attacks. I told him it would be fine for him to call me a jerk on camera. The viewers should see him for who he really is and how he really talks to people. He asked if I was ok with going back in the room alone with him and I said I wasn't afraid of him but that I preferred not to be left to talk with him so if they had another room for me that would be better. I said I didn't want to have discussion that should be saved for the show. I was taken to another room and shortly before the show started Lynn came and assured me that she had given Bryan a talking to and told him he was not to attack me. ROFL! PRICELESS!!!! :D

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the link, I missed it due to an overseas phone call.

Melanie, thanks for standing in the fire there. So much emotion in the room, but so little legal fact.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You did great! Few people are natural debaters but you seemed to hold your own in a respectable manner.

I wish I could convince my wife to carry.

I will with some of the other guys try working on some scripted retorts to the ridiculous things they say and "challenges" they fathom in their minds. I don’t doubt that in the future you will be asked again for this type of thing.

I think the part that really got me mad was when that a$$ basically said that Carol? didn't really know she was going to be attacked or killed so she should not have pulled the gun. These people are always willing to make YOU the victim in place of the criminal....Sure he might have raped you...but is that worth taking a life? Um...YES!!

Oh, and she should call for help. Um...don't we already know that yelling "Help! Rape!" doesn't work? Don't we train people to yell "Fire!" instead because people like this idiot would ignore you and MIGHT call the police?

Well…I am sorry for going off. You held your own and are unfortunately a good spokesperson for our cause.