• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennywise & Pound Foolish

tripledipper

imported post

Well, I have learned my lesson and bow to the knowledge of the sages who posted on here about purchasing at gunshows. The used S&W bought in October which I thought was a great dealis on the way backto Springfield and the price paid plus thecost of shipping it backcould have been used to buy a new one at a local gun shop. Like Grapeshot said, never again.:banghead:

eyesopened

imported post

Everyone takes a gamble when buying used, but you can still get some good deals. Buyer beware and all that. I've bought two used pistols before and so far have had good luck, not at gun shows, but still used.

Deanimator

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
Well, I have learned my lesson and bow to the knowledge of the sages who posted on here about purchasing at gunshows. The used S&W bought in October which I thought was a great dealis on the way backto Springfield and the price paid plus thecost of shipping it backcould have been used to buy a new one at a local gun shop. Like Grapeshot said, never again.:banghead:
It depends upon what it was. If it was a pre-lock revolver, you CAN'T buy a new one.

TFred

imported post

Deanimator wrote
It depends upon what it was. If it was a pre-lock revolver, you CAN'T buy a new one.
True (other than a few short runs here and there), and for many of us, an internal lock revolver is simply not ever going to be an option.

To the OP: If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with it? Have you seen the Jim March revolver checklist? Would that have revealed the problem? Assuming your purchase was a revolver... of course, odds are it probably wasn't....

TFred

tripledipper

imported post

S&W 637-2 .38sp airweight revolver-ejector rod rubbing and keeping cylinder release from working, gun kept on locking up- could not eject spent rounds-I guess I couldhavewaited the 30 days estimatefor Bob's gunsmith to replace the ejector rod or got the part myselfand saved on the shipping-but I knownada about fixing guns- S&W will fix in6-10 days-in reading a lot of gun forums people say trouble with airweightsfrom the day theytake them brand newout of the box

TFred

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
If it was a pre-lock revolver, you CAN'T buy a new one.

You can buy a new post lock-no lock revolver.

Model 642
You can also get a new Model 442 with no lock. S&W apparently found a supply of old frames and decided to assemble them and let them go. To me they both (I think the only difference is the color) seem to be about the ugliest revolvers ever made, but they sure do slip in and out of a pocket holster real nice like.

TFred

nova

imported post

I've only got skunked buying used twice, and both times I worked it out. First, I got a used Hi-power for a great price at a gun show, when I got it home, I realized the safety didn't keep the hammer from falling when flipped up. Looked it over and noticed the safety lever wasn't properly installed. Took the frame apart, and put the safety back in the correct way and it works fine. Then I was having some FTE problems so I read online a weak extractor spring does it. Replaced the spring. Now I have a great accurate reliable carry gun, still at a great price :)

Second time I bought a used revolver, and noticed it was missing a sideplate screw (I know...how could I be so stupid and miss that?) so after I found a replacement screw I sold the gun for a 50 dollar loss just so I could start fresh. Got a security six for the same price I bought the other one for, and I haven't looked back since. BTW the other gun was NOT a S&W...hint hint.

I have bought many used guns before these two and have gotten some great deals with no problems.

Where else can I get a LNIB XD45 with all the original goodies included for only $350 for example? :)

bayboy42

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
S&W 637-2 .38sp airweight revolver-ejector rod rubbing and keeping cylinder release from working, gun kept on locking up- could not eject spent rounds-I guess I couldhavewaited the 30 days estimatefor Bob's gunsmith to replace the ejector rod or got the part myselfand saved on the shipping-but I knownada about fixing guns- S&W will fix in6-10 days-in reading a lot of gun forums people say trouble with airweightsfrom the day theytake them brand newout of the box
Try this....i used it once on an aquaintances S&W and one of the recommendations did the trick.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-31225429_ITM

darthmord

imported post

They made you pay to ship it back?

I have a firearm returning to me from S&W that needed some work due to the rear sight falling off :what:if I tipped the firearm to the right.

All I had to do was contact S&W, explain the problem, and two days later, I had my shipping instructions & label. It was promptly shipped w/o any fuss.

The only "payment" I've had to make was doing without that firearm for the two weeks they had it.