• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What laws need changing?

partemisio

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Just to clarify, everyone does agree that the ban on places that serve alcohol needs to be disposed of as well, right?
I agree that you should be able to go somewhere that serves alcohol. As I said before, I don't agree with actually being able to consume alcohol though.

JohnHoliday

imported post

^^ Right, I don't think everyone will agree on being able to consume, and I don't think we should push that. I do think everyone agrees we should be able to carry into a place that serves though.

Curins

imported post

Ok guys I need your help!

You guys have been digging through the laws a lot more than I have. If you can post links to the laws we agreed needed changing or struck,and whatpart of the current law should be removed or modified.This way I can show Jamie (my representative) the current law, and what the new law should read. Later we will use that to write the bill.

Once he has the bill before the NC congress we of course will need to amass support. I'm sure some of you guys are members of other forums and can spread the word. Ifthere aremembers of gun lobby organization's pleaseget them to help push it. Once we have the bill in I'll be putting up a website for it.

We can get our rights back. We must always fight for freedom, or it will surely be removed.

RayBurton72

imported post

dubccat51 wrote:
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(c) It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
This is the only one I've ever seen and it applies only to concealed handguns.

I cannot find the cite, but it is my understanding that one cannot be "intoxicated" and armed off of one's own premises. "Intoxicated" being defined by the legal limit for DUI (.08% BAC).

I would like to see something similar to Nevada, which makes drinking a carrying concealed analogous to DUI, i.e. the legal limit for carrying and drinking in the same as for driving, but I do not think it will ever hap[pen and I think it is a bad fight to try and get that passed.... much better battles to fight first.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

§ 14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.
§ 153A‑129. Firearms. (Counties)

A county may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place except when used to take birds or animals pursuant to Chapter 113, Subchapter IV, when used in defense of person or property, or when used pursuant to lawful directions of law‑enforcement officers. A county may also regulate the display of firearms on the public roads, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. This section does not limit a county's authority to take action under Chapter 14, Article 36A. (1973, c. 822, s. 1; 2006‑264, s. 16.)
§ 160A‑189. Firearms. (Cities)

A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law‑enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. (1971, c. 698, s. 1.)
14‑269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.
Needs to beamended to at least allow a firearms to remain in a persons vehicle while on educational property and allow concealedhandgun permit holdersto carryon educational property.
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

(b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place. (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 4.)
§ 14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or

(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
Green needs to be amended.

Red needs to be struck.

Any other suggestions? That should give us a gold star rating and let us have some of the least restrictive open carry laws in the country.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Good summary duccat51. Just thinking about all that red text disappearing gets me excited! :celebratelol.

One thing to remember when trying to convince someone else that these laws need to change is this:

Making it illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, or a place that charges admission,doesn't just disarm a person inside the location. It disarms them in the dark parking lot while they walk to and from the place. It may disarm them during their entire trip from home to thelocation if they can't secure the firearm in their car (riding a motorcycle, taking a cab, etc.). It also leaves firearms unattended, whether they're leftin the car or at home.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Article 52A.

Sale of Weapons in Certain Counties.

§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

It is unlawful for any person or persons to receive from any postmaster, postal clerk, employee in the parcel post department, rural mail carrier, express agent or employee, railroad agent or employee within the State of North Carolina any pistol or crossbow without having in his or their possession and without exhibiting at the time of the delivery of the same and to the person delivering the same the permit from the sheriff as provided in G.S. 14‑403. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) This section does not apply to an antique firearm or an historic edged weapon.

(c) The following definitions apply in this section:

(1) Antique firearm. – Defined in G.S. 14‑409.11.

(2) Bolt. – A projectile made to be discharged from a crossbow. The bolt differs from an arrow in that the bolt is heavier and shorter than an arrow.

(3) Crossbow. – A mechanical device consisting of, but not limited to, strings, cables, and prods transversely mounted on either a shoulder or hand‑held stock. This device is mechanically held at full or partial draw and released by a trigger or similar mechanism that is incorporated into a stock or handle. When operated, the crossbow discharges a projectile known as a bolt.

(4) Historic edged weapon. – Defined in G.S. 14‑409.12. (1919, c. 197, s. 1; C.S., s. 5106; 1923, c. 106; 1947, c. 781; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1971, c. 133, s. 2; 1979, c. 895, ss. 1, 2; 1993, c. 287, s. 1; c. 539, s. 284; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2004‑183, s. 1; 2004‑203, s. 1.)

§ 14‑403. Permit issued by sheriff; form of permit; expiration of permit.

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to purchase or receive any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

North Carolina,

______________ County.

I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.

This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.

This ____ day of ____________, ________.

Sheriff.

(1919, c. 197, s. 2; C.S., s. 5107; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 3; 1995, c. 487, s. 1; 1999‑456, s. 59.)

§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1) Verified, before the issuance of a permit, by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal and background history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, by conducting a check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2) Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3) Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

(b) If the sheriff is not fully satisfied, the sheriff may, for good cause shown, decline to issue the license or permit and shall provide to the applicant within seven days of the refusal a written statement of the reason(s) for the refusal. An appeal from the refusal shall lie by way of petition to the chief judge of the district court for the district in which the application was filed. The determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal, and shall be final.

(c) A permit may not be issued to the following persons:

(1) One who is under an indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony (other than an offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been convicted of a felony in a court of any state or in a court of the United States and who is later pardoned may obtain a permit, if the purchase or receipt of a pistol or crossbow permitted in this Article does not violate a condition of the pardon.

(2) One who is a fugitive from justice.

(3) One who is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. section 802).

(4) One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.

(5) One who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

(6) One who has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions.

(7) One who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

(8) One who is subject to a court order that:

a. Was issued after a hearing of which the person received actual notice, and at which the person had an opportunity to participate;

b. Restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and

c. Includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.

(d) Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and state that the purpose for the purchase of the firearms is directly related to the law officers' official duties.

(e) The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff's services upon issuing the license or permit a fee of five dollars ($5.00).

(f) Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 30 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant. (1919, c. 197, s. 3; C.S., s. 5108; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1969, c. 73; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 1; 1987, c. 518, s. 1; 1995, c. 487, s. 2; 2006‑39, s. 1; 2006‑264, s. 4.)

§ 14‑405. Record of permits kept by sheriff.

The sheriff shall keep a book, to be provided by the board of commissioners of each county, in which he shall keep a record of all licenses or permits issued under this article, including the name, date, place of residence, age, former place of residence, etc., of each such person, firm, or corporation to whom or which a license or permit is issued. (1919, c. 197, s. 4; C.S., s. 5109; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2.)

§ 14‑406. Dealer to keep record of sales.

Every dealer in pistols and other weapons mentioned in this Article shall keep an accurate record of all sales thereof, including the name, place of residence, date of sale, etc., of each person, firm, or corporation to whom or which such sales are made, which record shall be open to the inspection of any duly constituted State, county or police officer, within this State. (1919, c. 197, s. 5; C.S., s. 5110; 1987, c. 115, s. 1.)

§ 14‑407: Repealed by Session Laws 1997‑6.

§ 14‑407.1. Sale of blank cartridge pistols.

The provisions of G.S. 14‑402, 14‑405, and 14‑406 shall apply to the sale of pistols suitable for firing blank cartridges. The sheriffs of all the counties of this State are authorized and may in their discretion issue to any person, firm or corporation, in any such county, a license or permit to purchase or receive any pistol suitable for firing blank cartridges from any person, firm or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the same, which said permit shall be in substantially the following form:

North Carolina

______________ County

I, ______________, Clerk of the Superior Court of said county, do hereby certify that ______________, whose place of residence is ______________ Street in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township in ______________ County, North Carolina, having this day satisfied me that the possession of a pistol suitable for firing blank cartridges will be used only for lawful purposes, a permit is therefore given said ______________ to purchase said pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same, this ________ day of ____________, ________.

Sheriff

The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff's services, upon issuing such permit, a fee of fifty cents (50¢). (1959, c. 1068; 1999‑456, s. 59; 2006‑264, s. 5.)

§ 14‑408. Violation of § 14‑406 a misdemeanor.

Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of G.S. 14‑406 shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1919, c. 197, s. 7; C.S., s. 5112; 1969, c. 1224, s. 6; 1993, c. 539, s. 285; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1998‑217, s. 3(a).)

§ 14‑409. Machine guns and other like weapons.

(a) As used in this section, "machine gun" or "submachine gun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess machine guns, submachine guns, or other like weapons as defined by subsection (a) of this section: Provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the following:

Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business, who shall first apply to and receive from the sheriff of the county in which said business is located, a permit to possess the said weapons for the purpose of defending the said business; officers and soldiers of the United States Army, when in discharge of their official duties, officers and soldiers of the militia when called into actual service, officers of the State, or of any county, city or town, charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties; the manufacture, use or possession of such weapons for scientific or experimental purposes when such manufacture, use or possession is lawful under federal laws and the weapon is registered with a federal agency, and when a permit to manufacture, use or possess the weapon is issued by the sheriff of the county in which the weapon is located. Provided, further, that any bona fide resident of this State who now owns a machine gun used in former wars, as a relic or souvenir, may retain and keep same as his or her property without violating the provisions of this section upon his reporting said ownership to the sheriff of the county in which said person lives.

(c) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class I felony. (1933, c. 261, s. 1; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1965, c. 1200; 1989, c. 680, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 1243; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1999‑456, s. 33(b).)

RayBurton72

imported post

Here is the language from Virginia on allowing CHP holders to carry a concealed handgun in their car on school properties.

From VA GS 18.2-308.1. The provisions of this section shall not apply to . . . (vii)a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

While allowed CC on school prperty is likely to be a huge fight, I think this is a VERY reasonable, and very achievable addition ot the current legislation that would make the lives of CHP holders MUCH easier.

Also, I think this would be easier to get some the legislative fence sitters to sign onto, especially since tey have a border state to point to as an example...

Custodian

imported post

Also, we need the state to supercede hamlet, village, town, and city ordinances. Chapel Hill's ability to skirt the Constitutional rights of North Carolina citizens. No county, city, or municipality should be able to limit the size of your weapon for carry: open, concealed, or somewhere in between.

The weapons most Law Enforcement Officers use are around 5 to 5 3/4 inches in length. But they are exempt from the concealed carry law. This is a class divide. Only people in badges with state or federal training can do this. Common nobodies (aka citizens) cannot.

I am sick of such elitism.

RayBurton72

imported post

Custodian wrote:
Also, we need the state to supercede hamlet, village, town, and city ordinances. Chapel Hill's ability to skirt the Constitutional rights of North Carolina citizens. No county, city, or municipality should be able to limit the size of your weapon for carry: open, concealed, or somewhere in between.

The weapons most Law Enforcement Officers use are around 5 to 5 3/4 inches in length. But they are exempt from the concealed carry law. This is a class divide. Only people in badges with state or federal training can do this. Common nobodies (aka citizens) cannot.

I am sick of such elitism.

Um, the Chapel Hill law refers to overall length, not barrel length... even my Kimber Ultra Carry II it large enough to OC in Chapel Hill....

Having said that, I agree that section of the statute should be repealed.

Mungo

imported post

+1 for what everyone said here.

Another beef I have is not with a gun law, but the law prohibiting automatic knives. It was a law brought about by the fears of the teen gangs in the 50's. It should have never been made law to begin with.

Curins

imported post

An update guys! Currently a forum member in my district is helping me to write the proposal for Jamie (our rep.) Of course it can't be introduced until January! Once we have the proposal complete we'll post it here for your review, suggestions and corrections.

After that as the old song gos: I'm just a bill....