• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to have magazines in any state?

yankees98a

imported post

Are magazines (for XD 9 or XD45) legal to have in any state (without a gun)?

Since it's just the magazine I would assume yes?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Right. For example, in California you don't want to be caught with magazines over 10 rnd capacity, unless you can prove you owned them pre-ban. And you don't have to have the gun to go with it to get busted.

MetalChris

imported post

In Ohio you can't have anything over 30 rounds. Well technically you can have it, but can't insert it into a weapon.

mjones

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Right. For example, in California you don't want to be caught with magazines over 10 rnd capacity, unless you can prove you owned them pre-ban. And you don't have to have the gun to go with it to get busted.

Importation, manufacture, selling or loaning (unless you remain present) magazines with a capacity greater then 10 rounds is illegal in CA, not posession.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
firearm.

Legba

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
In Ohio you can't have anything over 30 rounds. Well technically you can have it, but can't insert it into a weapon.
We seem to be the only ones to have noticed. I know of wholesalers who advertise higher-capacity stuff here, and I've seen people at the range with drum mags for rifles.

-ljp

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mjones wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Importation, manufacture, selling or loaning (unless you remain present) magazines with a capacity greater then 10 rounds is illegal in CA, not posession.

12020.  (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
   (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
   (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
   (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
firearm.
Right, which means the only possible way to own a legal standard-capacity magazine is to have owned it pre-ban.

Edit: I see what you're getting at, technically if you bought a standard-cap mag in-state the crime would not be your possession but the sale of it to your person.

Is there any precedent for this circumstance? Is it actually effectively legal to buy a standard-cap mag and simply "not keep a record" of the transaction or seller, and to subsequently keep and possess that magazine?

rodbender

imported post

Could you buy a high capicity mag in say Arizona or Nevada and take it into Califirnia and be legal? Never mind, I missed imports.

mjones

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Right, which means the only possible way to own a legal standard-capacity magazine is to have owned it pre-ban.

Edit: I see what you're getting at, technically if you bought a standard-cap mag in-state the crime would not be your possession but the sale of it to your person.

Is there any precedent for this circumstance? Is it actually effectively legal to buy a standard-cap mag and simply "not keep a record" of the transaction or seller, and to subsequently keep and possess that magazine?

Its certainly a fine line...since posession isn't a crime it would be neccessary to prove that a person violated one of the conditions legislated.

Proof might be as simple as a date-code stamped somewhere on the magazine. An even more clear method of proof would be something like a credit card record.

I'm certainly not advocated that anyone skirt the law, I just wanted to make sure that people understand that there isn't any legislation in California against mere posession of a standard capacity mag.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I think it's important to perpetuate our own terminology... "standard capacity" and "reduced capacity" rather than the "High Capacity" tag applied by the banners.