• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Deals To Be Had

adamsesq

imported post

For a variety of reasons I was out by Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham twice in the last week. I can't seem to go by there without stopping in to at least look.

They were swamped and the staff was working very hard to get to everybody but it was difficult. It's really hard to properly attend to the "I want a gun, what's a gun, which one should I have?" question when there are people lined up out the door ready to buy!

What I did learn is a couple of things:

While many many places on the web are out of AKs and ARs (and the related ammo), Keith's does still (at least as of this morning) have a supply of both. What I also learned, which was more shocking to me than the first thing, is that they also have ammo for both of them CHEAPER than any of the main online sources (including buyammo.com and ammoman.com which have been two of my favorites in the past).

I just wish I had a lot of $ to bank into either right now.

-adamsesq

udy

imported post

glock23 wrote:
If that guy was not such a A** I would buy from him..... He does have good prices on guns.
My sediments exactly. I have bought a few guns fromthem, but it is never a pleasant experience. I don't know the guys in there personally, they may be good guys, but there people skills suck. Problem is they are the only gun store around where I live, and I love to pilfer through there used/consignment rack, as it is second to none, always new old stuff in there. I try not to go in there, but I always go back, and there prices if not best are always competetive, they certianally are not out to take adavantage of you.

adamsesq

imported post

glock23 wrote:
If that guy was not such a A** I would buy from him..... He does have good prices on guns.

I have heard that.

I also heard people complaining about the "poor customer service" when I was in there the last few days. My impression was that people that knew what they wanted or had reasonable questions were being treated curtly, but politely. People that were in any way rude, demanding, had no patience or that just plain didn't have a clue where treated even more curtly and they were the ones complaining about customer service. I think they do not have a tolerance for lookie-lous nor to be a place that they spend hours educating you so you can go buy elsewhere.

But again, that is my impression after two days in the last week and that probably is not a fair evaluation of what life might normally be like there. I have bought multiple weapons from them on the LEO discount program for which they make almost no money and they still always treated me politely.

-adamsesq

grishnav

imported post

I've bought all of my firearms but Keith's. Had nothing but good experiences there. When I was first getting into it, I got a Glock. They spent nearly an hour with me going over safety, disassembly, cleaning, loading, and firing it. When I found out that the mag release didn't work well with my smallish hands and asked for advice, Keith himself told me that there wasn't much that could be done, but that if I wanted to try an extended mag release, they'd install it and let me try it out for a week, and I'd come back and pay them if I liked it (if not, they'd put my old one back in, still for free). However, they asked me to come on a day when they weren't so busy and short-staffed (this happened to be a gun show weekend). As it is, I trained around the problem and never ended up taking them up on the offer.

I've heard a lot of people say that Keith's customer service is very poor, but the only problem I can see with it is that they are so damn busy all the time that it can be hard to get (and the subsequently keep) their attention, because they move on to somebody else that needs help. Not a huge problem for me; gives me time to look around and try stuff out.