• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more SAFETY INSPECTIONS in Michigan

LittleMan

imported post

I seen someone mention wanting these to cease in another post. Well it is going to happen. I copied this off a web site and I would like to find it on the state of michigan web site but I don't know how. If anyone finds it please through up a link in your post. I would just like to verify this info as correct.

[align=left]Safety Inspection for Pistols changes in Michigan take effect[/align]

[align=left]January, 7
th 2009.[/align]

[align=left]The so-called "safety inspection" is eliminated. The seller of a pistol shall immediately record the sale on a 4-part (quadruplicate) form provided by the Department of State Police, which the purchaser shall sign. One copy is kept by the seller. One copy is kept by purchaser. Two copies are sent to the police department or county sheriff within 10 days. The forms can be hand-delivered or sent by first-class or certified mail (I recommend certified and hang onto your receipts.) Failure to comply with this rule is civil infraction punishable by a fine of $250 maximum. Violations will also be reported to the state police and the county gun board. The police agency will forward one copy to the state police within 48 hours, and keep the other for at least 6 years. The state police will enter the information into the computer data base within 10 days of receiving it. The purchaser has a right to get a copy of the information that is entered to verify the accuracy of the information. The police or sheriff's department can charge a fee of $1.00 maximum for the copy. The purchaser has to keep his/her copy of the form while carrying or using the pistol for the first 30 days after purchase. After that time, the form need not be carried.[/align]
This law takes effect January 7th, 2009. Public Acts No. 194, 195, 196

Edited

I found the new law on purchasing pistols and this info is correct. Here is the link if you don't want to read the whole thing just look at (5).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(y51q3p45lw23epb23bs5je45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-422-amended&query=on

SQLtables

imported post

LittleMan wrote:
I seen someone mention wanting these to cease in another post. Well it is going to happen. I copied this off a web site and I would like to find it on the state of michigan web site but I don't know how. If anyone finds it please through up a link in your post. I would just like to verify this info as correct.

[align=left]Safety Inspection for Pistols changes in Michigan take effect[/align]

[align=left]January, 7th 2009.[/align]

[align=left]The so-called "safety inspection" is eliminated. The seller of a pistol shall immediately record the sale on a 4-part (quadruplicate) form provided by the Department of State Police, which the purchaser shall sign. One copy is kept by the seller. One copy is kept by purchaser. Two copies are sent to the police department or county sheriff within 10 days. The forms can be hand-delivered or sent by first-class or certified mail (I recommend certified and hang onto your receipts.) Failure to comply with this rule is civil infraction punishable by a fine of $250 maximum. Violations will also be reported to the state police and the county gun board. The police agency will forward one copy to the state police within 48 hours, and keep the other for at least 6 years. The state police will enter the information into the computer data base within 10 days of receiving it. The purchaser has a right to get a copy of the information that is entered to verify the accuracy of the information. The police or sheriff's department can charge a fee of $1.00 maximum for the copy. The purchaser has to keep his/her copy of the form while carrying or using the pistol for the first 30 days after purchase. After that time, the form need not be carried.[/align]
This law takes effect January 7th, 2009. Public Acts No. 194, 195, 196

Edited

I found the new law on purchasing pistols and this info is correct. Here is the link if you don't want to read the whole thing just look at (5).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(y51q3p45lw23epb23bs5je45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-422-amended&query=on
That's annoying...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

First-class or certified will still require an additional trip in lieu of safety inspection. I would rather go to the PD, get a copy of the info ($1:00) that would cost you anyway for the certified mail and be done with it. However, I'm fully aware of the shenanigans PD's pull on those who went in for SI in the past and those who are unable to make the (illegal) time frame the PD's set. :?

SQLtables

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
First-class or certified will still require an additional trip in lieu of safety inspection. I would rather go to the PD, get a copy of the info ($1:00) that would cost you anyway for the certified mail and be done with it. However, I'm fully aware of the shenanigans PD's pull on those who went in for SI in the past and those who are unable to make the (illegal) time frame the PD's set. :?
I'm pretty sure you can have your mail picked up at your home in most places. At least first-class. Either way, I see no benefit to this.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can have your mail picked up at your home in most places. At least first-class. Either way, I see no benefit to this.
If you meant Public Acts No. 194, 195, 196 I agree 100%. If so, the "gun grabbers" will be the only ones to benefit.

LittleMan

imported post

I won't have to be at the PD on tues between 1-1:10pm for safety inspection. That is the benifit. I don't want to have to take a day off in order to buy a pistol. The post office has better hours for me to work around.

WARCHILD

imported post

I don't want to have to take a day off in order to buy a pistol.

Not to be offensive, but that is the attitude of the average person that got this bill passed. It's human nature, you can most certainly get a bill passed easier if you make it easier for John Q. Public. We went from the inconvience of a useless safety inspection, (disguised registration) to a REQUIRED REGISTRATION! So I say; "How was this a win in any way"? It wasthe loss of a right by the gain of a mere convience. This is how we lose gentlemen.:uhoh:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
So, do I need to "register" a pistol that I currently own and havea safety inspection cardfor?
If you have a legally registered pistol in Michigan you do not need to do anything.

If you registerone after the new law takes effect, you need to keep the registration paper with you for 30 days. This is to allow your registration info to get entered into the data set. After the 30 days you wont have to have any paperwork with you on the registration of that handgun.

LittleMan

imported post

I know I'm going to open a can of worms. Why do you feel its a problem the state requires your handgun to be registered?

I'm probably going to sound like a liberal but oh well. I don't believe BIG GOVERNMENT is a good thing but I do think handgun registration is a good thing. I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't mind if the Government knows I own a gun. Like the Liberals say "Don't do anything wrong and you don't have to worry about it." There is a need for law and order in the United States of America. I also don't believe felons should be able to own guns. I think the issuing of a purchase permit is also a good law. I'm not naive and I know I can go pick up a gun illegally any time I want andthese laws don'tprevent people from obtaining guns. Restrictions are a must whether you like it or not. If there weren't any you might have even more of a reason to carry.

Just my thoughts and opinions. I'm not against gun laws that have a good purpose and don't restrict law abiding citizens from owning them.

WARCHILD

imported post

Little Man: You make good points and have valid arguments to support them. However, it always starts with losing one right at a time and then before you can regain control the domino effect has started and you won't recover. The fiasco of Great Britan and other countries that have outlawed individual possesion of firearms have and will pay the price. It's not a fair comparrison but: LOCKS... are only to keep the honest people honest and almost slow the BG's a little. Registration is a guise to a false sense of security the liberals spoon feed to the sheeple to calm them down and lull them into a sense that something is being done about crime. Another comparison....THE DRUG WAR... we all see almost daily how well goverments have been handling that one. Just my .02....:cool:

SQLtables

imported post

LittleMan wrote:
I know I'm going to open a can of worms. Why do you feel its a problem the state requires your handgun to be registered?

I'm probably going to sound like a liberal but oh well. I don't believe BIG GOVERNMENT is a good thing but I do think handgun registration is a good thing. I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't mind if the Government knows I own a gun. Like the Liberals say "Don't do anything wrong and you don't have to worry about it." There is a need for law and order in the United States of America. I also don't believe felons should be able to own guns. I think the issuing of a purchase permit is also a good law. I'm not naive and I know I can go pick up a gun illegally any time I want andthese laws don'tprevent people from obtaining guns. Restrictions are a must whether you like it or not. If there weren't any you might have even more of a reason to carry.

Just my thoughts and opinions. I'm not against gun laws that have a good purpose and don't restrict law abiding citizens from owning them.
This is why this crap passes.

Michigander

imported post

Registration often leads to confiscation, Little Man. Especially in the more restrictive states.

While it is nice to know that the MSP can track my pistol back to me if it is stolen and they recover it, I'd still rather they not know I have it. What business of theirs should it be that I am armed? It's my constitutional obligation to be armed, so why should the government give me permission to get a gun? Registration is bull shit.

LittleMan

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
LittleMan wrote:

This is why this crap passes.
SQLTables

If your going to say stuff like that try to elaborate on it. I love your one line answers. Its hard to take you seriously without an explanation on why you feel the way you feel. I'm not trying to be mean but you will never change my opinion like that. If you disagree with someone you should state why you don't agree with valid points. Thank you

Warchild, Michigander, Copperhead

Thank you for your opinions and keeping them polite. I understand your points of views and where you are coming from.