• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more SAFETY INSPECTIONS in Michigan

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

LittleMan wrote:
I also don't believe felons should be able to own guns. I think the issuing of a purchase permit is also a good law. I'm not naive and I know I can go pick up a gun illegally any time I want andthese laws don'tprevent people from obtaining guns. Restrictions are a must whether you like it or not. If there weren't any you might have even more of a reason to carry.

Just my thoughts and opinions. I'm not against gun laws that have a good purpose and don't restrict law abiding citizens from owning them.

Well, you see, the statement about felons owning guns. That is the real challenge. Registration does no good for keeping the felons from getting a pistol. They do not go through normal channels. To say "gun laws that have a good purpose and don't restrict law abiding citizens from owning them." is an oxymoron. It's a sentence that does not make logical sense. IE there are no good gun laws that are restrictive. If you purchase a pistol, you have to fill out the required info, like all other firearms, and that info is fed into the NCIC and NCIS in seconds. Truthfully answering the questions would deem you qualified or disqualified at THAT point. If you obtain a pistol and then sold it to a felon, any registration of that pistol is now useless as you don't have possession anymore, and he is possible to use it for illegal purposes even in another state, with no one knowing he even had it. The crime is committed then, before the state would have any way to trace back what had happened to the pistol in a paper trail.

You see, gun control laws are reactive, and delayed, meaning they don't prevent any crime, they just impair (reads "infringed") the lawful citizen from self protection.

Is this making any sense?

I have a pistol. I obtained it legally and it is registered with Michigan State Police. They have knowledge that this pistol is located in my possession. I sell the pistol to John Dillinger (fictional) who pays me 3 x what I paid for it because he knows he cannot simply go in a buy a pistol. I tell report that someone broke into my house and stole my pistol. It's a cash transaction, and you couldn't prove otherwise in a court of law. Now John Dillinger shoots and kills 2 people and ditches the pistol in a river and it is never recovered.

How did my registration prevent any crime? What happened to my original pistol that was stolen (fictional)? No one knows....

New scenario. same pistol sold to John Dillinger, reported as stolen (fictional). He tries robbing those 2 people again that he had killed in previous paragraph. They had easily obtained a pistol for self protection with no gun law "infringing" upon their right. THEY are now "People who have the right to keep and bare arms". Now one of the 2 people defends themselves against John Dillinger, and he is killed. Violent crime is NOW prevented. John Dillinger is now dead from his illegal actions. Taxpayers don't spend 6 figures keeping him in jail for the rest of his life. But, more importantly, the other "John Dillingers" are now a bit worried about armed robbery. "Perhaps" they think, "we should give crimes of non-confrontal nature a bit more focus. They are now more apt to steal boats and other things that do not involve human intervention, fearing they may loose their life and it's just not worth the risk.

Crime doesn't' stop, but the criminal substitutes to lesser violent crime against property and less against people. The main thing is boats and cars are replaceable. People are not. Police can work at catching a car criminal as patterns they leave behind usually catch up with them, but at no expense of human life.

SQLtables

imported post

LittleMan wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
LittleMan wrote:
I know I'm going to open a can of worms. Why do you feel its a problem the state requires your handgun to be registered?

I'm probably going to sound like a liberal but oh well. I don't believe BIG GOVERNMENT is a good thing but I do think handgun registration is a good thing. I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't mind if the Government knows I own a gun. Like the Liberals say "Don't do anything wrong and you don't have to worry about it." There is a need for law and order in the United States of America. I also don't believe felons should be able to own guns. I think the issuing of a purchase permit is also a good law. I'm not naive and I know I can go pick up a gun illegally any time I want andthese laws don'tprevent people from obtaining guns. Restrictions are a must whether you like it or not. If there weren't any you might have even more of a reason to carry.

Just my thoughts and opinions. I'm not against gun laws that have a good purpose and don't restrict law abiding citizens from owning them.
This is why this crap passes.
SQLTables

If your going to say stuff like that try to elaborate on it. I love your one line answers. Its hard to take you seriously without an explanation on why you feel the way you feel. I'm not trying to be mean but you will never change my opinion like that. If you disagree with someone you should state why you don't agree with valid points. Thank you

Warchild, Michigander, Copperhead

Thank you for your opinions and keeping them polite. I understand your points of views and where you are coming from.
I thought it was pretty straight forward. People who think the way you do get laws like this passed, because you think it's OK. This just leads to more laws. Registration leads to confiscation. You're points are not valid. No gun law has a good purpose. No gun law makes sense. OK, I might agree with you on felons, but even that could use some work. I suppose you think people should have training and a permit before they open carry?

You don't have to take me seriously, it doesn't make much of a difference. I've found that it usually isn't possible to change the opinion of people who think like you, and think it's ok to give up freedom so the government can take more control over your life.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. It just makes me go crazy when I hear talk like this because this is exactly why our gun laws are as bad as they are, and are going to get much, much worse.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
LittleMan wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
LittleMan wrote:
I know I'm going to open a can of worms. Why do you feel its a problem the state requires your handgun to be registered?

I'm probably going to sound like a liberal but oh well. I don't believe BIG GOVERNMENT is a good thing but I do think handgun registration is a good thing. I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't mind if the Government knows I own a gun. Like the Liberals say "Don't do anything wrong and you don't have to worry about it." There is a need for law and order in the United States of America. I also don't believe felons should be able to own guns. I think the issuing of a purchase permit is also a good law. I'm not naive and I know I can go pick up a gun illegally any time I want andthese laws don'tprevent people from obtaining guns. Restrictions are a must whether you like it or not. If there weren't any you might have even more of a reason to carry.

This is why this crap passes.
SQLTables

If your going to say stuff like that try to elaborate on it. I love your one line answers. Its hard to take you seriously without an explanation on why you feel the way you feel. I'm not trying to be mean but you will never change my opinion like that. If you disagree with someone you should state why you don't agree with valid points. Thank you

Warchild, Michigander, Copperhead

Thank you for your opinions and keeping them polite. I understand your points of views and where you are coming from.
I thought it was pretty straight forward. People who think the way you do get laws like this passed, because you think it's OK. This just leads to more laws. Registration leads to confiscation. You're points are not valid. No gun law has a good purpose. No gun law makes sense. OK, I might agree with you on felons, but even that could use some work. I suppose you think people should have training and a permit before they open carry?

You don't have to take me seriously, it doesn't make much of a difference. I've found that it usually isn't possible to change the opinion of people who think like you, and think it's ok to give up freedom so the government can take more control over your life.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. It just makes me go crazy when I hear talk like this because this is exactly why our gun laws are as bad as they are, and are going to get much, much worse.

Pretty much sums it up right there.

LittleMan

imported post

I appreciate all your comments.

First of all I DO believe you should have training before ever handling a gun. It would be stupid to handle any dangerous weapon/item without knowing how to properly handle said item. I don't believe you should be required to have a permit forANY type of carry. I also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on where you can carry. Please, don't lump me in with all those leftist wackos.

Heres a list of good firearm laws:

MCL 28.430 Theft of firearm, report required

MCL 750.230 Firearms; altering, removing, or obliterating marks of identity

MCL 750.234 All sections. Includes laws on unlawful discharge, brandishing andperson under 18 possessing firearms.

I can't find the law but I know it there about your responsibility asa gun owner tokept it outof children's hands. Idon't suppose anyone here thinks we shouldgivekids guns if they are UNsupervised. I do support allowing kids to handle and use guns in a safe and supervised environment.

All the laws that make crimes more serious when they are committed with a gun.

I'm sure there are other laws probably plenty of them.

I do agree thatmost laws arereactive hence the term "breaking the law." Proper registration helps enforce broken laws. Purchase permits helpkeep gunsout of the wrong hands (This is not a reactive law). Laws made this nation a civilized nation without law and order we would justbe another third world country.

Warchild said, "However, it always starts with losing one right at a time and then before you can regain control the domino effect has started and you won't recover". I'm curious when and where we were granted the right to own an unregistered gun. No where in the second amendment does it say gun laws cannot be established. It gives you the right to keep and bear arms thats it.

I always listen to people when they disagree with me and weigh their opinions against mine. I like to use my brain and figure things out for myself. Many people over the years have helped change my mind on hundreds of issues by showing me whats on the other side of the fence. So please share your opinions with me I enjoy otherpeople thoughts.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Little Man said "I'm curious when and where we were granted the right to own an unregistered gun."

We were granted the right when the Bill of Rights was written. NO ONE back then registered any firearms. It was in England that they made the law that said any firearms manufactures had to mark the firearms to be identified IE serial numbers.

Back in Nebraska, where I'm from there are many firearms that are not registerd to the present owner. Many are passed down through relatives, or friends. I've heard of things like cameras or binoculars being traded for pistols that the party did not want anymore. These "unregistered" firearms may get used and shot occasionally, but they are in the hands of law abiding citizens that use them with respect.

LittleMan wrote "No where in the second amendment does it say gun laws cannot be established. It gives you the right to keep and bear arms thats it."

I disagree with that thought. The whole of the 2nd Amendment says A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
The part of "shall not be infringed." is a most positive note to not get overzealous with laws regulating arms. We need laws that come down hard on criminals using a firearm in commission of a crime, and make it so that it cannot be plea barganed out by a prosecuting attorney. The whole of the Second Amendment just reinterates that this is a God given right, which predates the Bill of Rights by thousands of years. It is every human being's right to protect themselves and their families from danger.

Gun stores that sell you a firearm check your name and Date of Birth DOB against what is already in the FBI database, and they know before you sign the check whether you are qualified to own that firearm or not according to rules set forth about firearm purchases.

Purchase permits do nothing to keep the firearm out of the hands of those that should not get them. This is one of the silliest and least effective laws we have. I speak from being former law enforcement.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

LittleMan, On 29.430, theft of a firearm, I'd rather not face criminal charges for someone having stolen my gun. as for 750.230, for what legit purpose would a law abiding person destroy id on a gun? my guns are too nice to be grinding on. And so on and so on...

SQLtables

imported post

springerdave wrote:
LittleMan, On 29.430, theft of a firearm, I'd rather not face criminal charges for someone having stolen my gun. as for 750.230, for what legit purpose would a law abiding person destroy id on a gun? my guns are too nice to be grinding on. And so on and so on...
Why should I need a legit reason? "Because it's my gun and I want to" SHOULD be a legitimate reason.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Tables, not to worry, I could care less what you do to your possessions, that's your biz. Just trying to make a point to LittleMan that because we are under force of law already that it would be criminal to deface a firearm, why would I want to make myself a criminal? I may not make my point clear to you, but be assured that I don't car for those gun laws anymore than you do.springerdave.

ghostrider

imported post

LittleMan wrote:

First of all I DO believe you should have training before ever handling a gun. It would be stupid to handle any dangerous weapon/item without knowing how to properly handle said item. I don't believe you should be required to have a permit forANY type of carry. I also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on where you can carry. Please, don't lump me in with all those leftist wackos.
If you wish not to be associated with such a group, then you might want to stop parroting them. Every law you list is nothing more than what they would want, and does nothing to stop crime, just like what they want.

SQLtables

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Tables, not to worry, I could care less what you do to your possessions, that's your biz. Just trying to make a point to LittleMan that because we are under force of law already that it would be criminal to deface a firearm, why would I want to make myself a criminal? I may not make my point clear to you, but be assured that I don't car for those gun laws anymore than you do.springerdave.

Oh, I know, I guess I was just adding to your comment, not taking issue with it. I agree with you, why would you want to deface a firearm? But, if I want to, I should legally be able to, that's all there is to it.

Don't worry, I think we're on the same team :)

hammerg26

imported post

This is why I love living in the south - no registration required... registration is one of the first steps to confiscation (as a previous poster said). I realize it is Hollywood - but remember Red Dawn?

conservative85

imported post

LittleMan wrote:

Heres a list of good firearm laws:

MCL 28.430 Theft of firearm, report required

MCL 750.230 Firearms; altering, removing, or obliterating marks of identity

MCL 750.234 All sections. Includes laws on unlawful discharge, brandishing andperson under 18 possessing firearms.

I can't find the law but I know it there about your responsibility asa gun owner tokept it outof children's hands. Idon't suppose anyone here thinks we shouldgivekids guns if they are UNsupervised. I do support allowing kids to handle and use guns in a safe and supervised environment.

All the laws that make crimes more serious when they are committed with a gun.

I'm sure there are other laws probably plenty of them.

I do agree thatmost laws arereactive hence the term "breaking the law." Proper registration helps enforce broken laws. Purchase permits helpkeep gunsout of the wrong hands (This is not a reactive law). Laws made this nation a civilized nation without law and order we would justbe another third world country.

Warchild said, "However, it always starts with losing one right at a time and then before you can regain control the domino effect has started and you won't recover". I'm curious when and where we were granted the right to own an unregistered gun. No where in the second amendment does it say gun laws cannot be established. It gives you the right to keep and bear arms thats it.

I always listen to people when they disagree with me and weigh their opinions against mine. I like to use my brain and figure things out for myself. Many people over the years have helped change my mind on hundreds of issues by showing me whats on the other side of the fence. So please share your opinions with me I enjoy otherpeople thoughts.

I'm sorry but I can't let thisgo by. There is only1 good gun law& that is The right to keep and bear shall not be INFRINGED!. Felons who serve their time or pay their dues should be allowed by the constitution to keep and bear, for self defense,& the security of a free state. People like littleman for get the#1 .rule of the constitution, it is not to give or take rights, it is to guarantee certain right granted to man by his creator.

It does not say the right to keep and bear shall not be infringed...unless your a felon, or a woman etc. "Please, don't lump me in with all those leftist wackos" People who are not leftist, don'thave to ask not to be lumped in with leftist. Purchase permits are an infringement, you lef#%*@... I don't need a permit, I have a right.

As far as the law he can't find about be responsible for your gun or whatever um duh that goes for cars, steak knives, lighters. :banghead:

I listen to allopinions too but opinions are like ass h... everybody has one, but I never change my mind on issues. They are constant, like stars they were here before me and will be there after me. The right to keep & bear shall not be infringed. I don't care how you look-see whatever you believe facts are facts, any law made after the 2nd amend. is an infringement on my right as a free American to protect & defend.

hidehunter

imported post

Many States don't require a Purchase Permit or a Safety Inspection and have lower gun crime rates than Michigan.
In those States you fill out the Fed Form, get run through the instant check and walk out with your handgun.
This is the way we could have been in Michigan had those representing us not buckled under to the libs.
I know some will say, we had to, or we wouldn't have even gotten this much. Well as far as I'm concerned, we didn't get much bang for the buck.

hidehunter:cuss:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Littleman, I too, once thought the way you do now. I believed that gun laws were a good thing, since their "stated" purposes were to reduce crime. After finding this site, reading the opnions of others, looking at the statistics, and weighing the information with great ponderance of logical thought, I have dispensed with those beliefs.

Look around this country, Littleman. Look at the areas that have the most restrictive gun laws in affect; Chicago, Ill., District of Columbia, California, NY, etc. Have these restrictive gun control laws reduced crime in these areas? They were suppose to, but they haven't. In fact, these areas have the worst rates of violent crime in the country, as opposed to the rest of the country that have more laxed laws. Alaska and Vermont do not require any licensing/permitfor carry handguns. Are they plagued by high rates of violent crime? Nope. Does this not ring a bell in you noggin, Littleman?

We mention keeping guns out of the hands of felons. But we mistakenly think of ALL felons as being violant charactors, right? Wrong. There are many convicted felons amongst us that did not commit violant acts. Many of these people would never dream of commiting a violant act, but they are not allowed to own firearms because they are felons. Are they not intitled to being able to defend themselves against acts of violence towards them? Should a one time violent offender, who has done his/her time and during a probationary period, shown that they have gotten their head screwed on straight and have become contributing members of society, be able to purchase a firearm for self defense? I now think they should. Should repeat offenders be allowed to own a firearm? I don't think they should see the light of day outside the confines of stone walls,ever again.

The current laws and restrictions that are "intended " to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, flat out don't work AS INTENDED. Even if there were atotal gun ban, criminals would still have guns. If they can't steal or buy them illegally, they can still make them. You got any idea how many ex-cons learned machining skills while in the slammer?

You also have to realize that not all violant acts are committed with a firearm. Walmart sells hundreds of items that have been used to commit murder with. Should all of those items be registered as well? Should women have to register or have a purchase permit to buy a pair of panty hose?

Give serious thought about the responses you have gotten here. Weigh the logicof both sides of the arguments against the reality of the results. I feel that you, too, will change your mind about gun control laws, as I did. I've come to the conclusion that gun control laws have nothing to do with reducing crime and everything to do with eventually gaining total control over the masses.

conservative85

imported post

Task Force 16 you are very articulate!

"Should repeat offenders be allowed to own a firearm? I don't think they should see the light of day outside the confines of stone walls,ever again". If they can't get out they don't need a gun lol

To reiterate on what TF16 said I was trying to say the same thing. If our laws were more strict there may be a big difference in repeat crimes. Like maybe for every dollar you steal w/wo a weapon you serve a day, if you repeat double the days per dollar. People will think twice about taking $100.00 from the register of some poor 7/11 clerk who is just tryin to make a few dollars tofeed her kids. Oh no we can't do that says the Lib thats too harsh, we can rehabilitate...blah blah blah

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Task Force 16 you are very articulate!

"Should repeat offenders be allowed to own a firearm? I don't think they should see the light of day outside the confines of stone walls,ever again". If they can't get out they don't need a gun lol

To reiterate on what TF16 said I was trying to say the same thing. If our laws were more strict there may be a big difference in repeat crimes. Like maybe for every dollar you steal w/wo a weapon you serve a day, if you repeat double the days per dollar. People will think twice about taking $100.00 from the register of some poor 7/11 clerk who is just tryin to make a few dollars tofeed her kids. Oh no we can't do that says the Lib thats too harsh, we can rehabilitate...blah blah blah

Thank you Conservative85.

You might want to re-think your proposed sentencing for robbery. Most conveniency stores have policy of not having more than $40-50 in the register. I don't think 40-50 days in jail is much of a detterant, do you?;)

Armed robbery is the same, no matter if one knocks off a 7-11 for $50 or holds up a bank for $50-500k. Either way, it's still armed robbery and should be dealt with severely.

Part of the trouble is that prison is too confy for convicted offenders. Prison should a place where no one ever wants to return. That may make some criminals think twice. It use to work.

conservative85

imported post

TF16 wrote:

Part of the trouble is that prison is too confy for convicted offenders. Prison should a place where no one ever wants to return. That may make some criminals think twice. It use to work.

Try this out TF16 All prisonsshould have athree shift bed system.
At 6 am prisoner A gets up removes his linen, andt-p, leaves the room to work somewhere in the prison, or state depending on the severity of their crime. PrisonerB places his bed roll on the cot& puts his t-p on the roll thingy, at 2-2:30prisoner b gets up repeats what prisoner A did, and prisoner C comes in behind and repeats what B did. This would solve over crowding,and put a little stress in the morons day. I agree prison should be a bad , almost traumatizing event.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just realized that it's been over a month since LittleMan has posted. Was hoping he would stick around, we might have been able to re-educate him.

Hmmmm.....

Maybe he's contemplating what has been presented to him.

conservative85

imported post

"Maybe he's contemplating what has been presented to him"

Doubt it. You ever notice Libs are always open mindedtil u disagree with their way of thinking then ur close minded and a biggot, or even better when you argue factswith them they always change subject, or divert your attention to another mindless example of how their right& your wrong. Then their last minute attemt to distract u with retoric.