• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry

SQLtables

imported post

blk04f150 wrote:
where in Dearborn Heights is a good spot to open carry for the 1st time
I don't know the area, but I think a Walmart or a Meijer would be the easiest place. I've never been questioned (by employees) in either. In fact, if you read the lapeer outing thread, you'll see that it appears that a manager in the Davison meijer rightfully did nothing when another customer complained about us. I think these types of places are better if you're not all that confident yet. A fast food restaurant or a gas station (if you go in) usually involves much more close up interaction with people.

ghostrider

imported post

First,

Welcome to the forum.:D

Now, what warlockmatized said. OC is legal with some restrictions. If you have to ask where a good place would be to do it for the first time, then I might suggest "in your mind". Mental preparation is an important aspect of most things, and OC is certainly no exception. Asking this question is a good indication that you currently lack confidence. There is nothing wrong with that, as we all have to start somewhere. If you haven't read the threads, "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO", and "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT", then you should do so. Those threads will give you a better understanding, and better prepare you for your venture. They should also help you build a better confidence in OC'ing.

Once you read those threads, and are confident, then what Ron said applies. You can OC anywhere allowed by law (see MCL 750.234d for the prohibited zones) without a CPL, providing the private property is not posted.

Like I said, the reason your asking is probably because you aren't completely confident, and want to just test the waters. Knowledge breeds confidence. Educate yourself, and you'll feel better about it. Most of the apprehension comes from the unfamiliarity of not dealing with someone (be it LEO or non-LEO) questioning the chosen carry method. Not to say that it always happens, but if you are not prepared to deal with such eventualities, then what will you do when they happen. I'm confident in my shooting ability because well... I practice, I'm confident in talking to people about guns because I try to learn as much about the topic as I can, I'm confident in talking about OC because I've made it a passion to learn about it. I encourage people who are new to OC to learn about it before jumping in because I want them to have a positive experience with it. That positive experience comes with confidence.

Most of the times when people have had trouble OC'ing has been born of ignorance (either theirs, or maybe someone else's). Ignorance may not be the best word, but the point is that someone wasn't as prepared as they could have been. Either they are ill prepared to deal with the police (or citizens who question them), or the police are either not knowledgeable (or just don't care) about the law. If you can find some of WARCHILD's experiences with negative LEO encounters, you'll see that he was calm the entire time, and wasn't really worried. He knew his rights, he knew the law, so what the officer was doing didn't phase him. Same with Venator's capital building experience. They were confident because they were properly prepared. Confidence in your knowledge and abilities in dealing with diverse situations will put you more at ease in venturing out.

Good luck, and stay safe.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Ok, lets say I'm a cop and I see you OC'ing.

I say hello, are you a LEO?

I ask do you have a CPL?

Where are you headed?

Where are you coming from?

Please respond as you should and as you have learned by studying for the last 6-7 weeks.

ghostrider

imported post

dougwg wrote:

I ask do you have a CPL?

Where are you headed?

Please respond as you should and as you have learned by studying for the last 6-7 weeks.
This is a great exercise that everyone should be doing.

When I took the CPL class, I was fortunate enough to sit beside a retired officer. He told the class that we should, "daydream" these things (talking about defensive scenarios), as a better part of our training. Richard Marcinko called it, "war gaming" (which I think is a better term). Another term for it is "visualization". It all means the same. Your practicing, without having to actually live through the experience. Your mentally preparing yourself for something you can eventually expect to live through. The more prepared you are, the less stressful the event will be. The less stressful the event will be, the better you will conduct yourself.

Going through dougwg's questions and answering them is an excellent idea. You could also create another scenario using another non-LEO, instead of an LEO.

Average ordinary guy: "Are you a cop?"

Average ordinary guy: "Why are you carrying a gun? (in a clearly offensive tone meant to intimidate or ridicule)

Average ordinary guy: "Don't you need a license to do that?"

Average ordinary guy: "Why do you feel the need to walk around in fear?"

The list can go on and on. Use your imagination, or just cull some of the comments from other people's experiences.

SQLtables

imported post

dougwg wrote:

I ask do you have a CPL?

Where are you headed?

I don't really understand why this guy is being interrogated...

dougwg

imported post

Because another one of our members thought he knew what he was doing and ended up getting charged with a felony! :?

This member is now involved in a court battle and I just wanted to know how blk04f150 might answer being new and all.

If this other member knew as much as he thinks he did, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in right now.:banghead:

The last thing we need is new guys misunderstanding what thel aw is and not heeding our suggestions as far as knowing the law, our rights AND how to assert those rights.:exclaim:

Maybe others can learn from this....:)

dougwg

imported post

I tend to have a way of asking people questions that makes them think. I do this without telling them what to do but rather making them tell themselves what to do.

how would you have answered SQL? Please pm me, as I don't want to muddy the waters any more in this thread.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

Hold on... If said member is being charged with a felony he either:

A) Broke the law in ignorance

or

B) Did not break the law and the charges will be dropped shortly.

How well thought-out your response to an LEO or non-LEO is irrelevant to the facts of the situation. If I am missing something please fill me in (or PM).

-Rob

SQLtables

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
Hold on... If said member is being charged with a felony he either:

A) Broke the law in ignorance

or

B) Did not break the law and the charges will be dropped shortly.

How well thought-out your response to an LEO or non-LEO is irrelevant to the facts of the situation. If I am missing something please fill me in (or PM).

-Rob
I'm thinking very likely B.

ETA: I suspect that response to LEO could have a big part in how the situation is handled, especially if you are not breaking the law...

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I know for a fact it can have a big impact in how things progress, but if you are carrying legally and mouth off to a cop there is nothing that they can do (legally) when all is said and done. I recommend being polite and professional, but also assertive. I know I am not breaking the law, and will not be told that I am. He can arrest me and get me a nice cash settlement, but that's his problem. I have the grit to stick it out.

-Rob

SpringerXDacp

imported post

blk04f150 wrote:
where in Dearborn Heights is a good spot to open carry for the 1st time
Your first OC experience should be at the Michigan Open Carry Thread and most importantly, a couple of our OC events. :)

SQLtables

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
I know for a fact it can have a big impact in how things progress, but if you are carrying legally and mouth off to a cop there is nothing that they can do (legally) when all is said and done. I recommend being polite and professional, but also assertive. I know I am not breaking the law, and will not be told that I am. He can arrest me and get me a nice cash settlement, but that's his problem. I have the grit to stick it out.

-Rob
Bingo.

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Rob Washeleski wrote:

-Rob
Bingo.
It's not always that simple. If one keeps one's mouth shut, then it might be "Bingo", but that depends upon many factors.

There are way too many laws to say that, "your not breaking the law", and there is way too much "gray area" in those laws to say that, "you can mouth off to a cop and there is nothing he can do about it". "Mouthing off" to cops is often how they gather more information with which to arrest. Rest assured, while they don't care for the attitude, they most certainly like to keep you talking.

People should watch this video:
http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2008m8d4-Loose-lips-can-get-you-arrested-or-why-you-shouldnt-talk-to-the-police?cid=Examiner

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865

There are also other videos on the following website that shouldn't be ignored.

http://www.flexyourrights.org/

blk04f150 is free to do what he pleases. He asked a question which indicated that he lacked confidence in OC'ing. I was merely trying to help. He can chose to disregard my advice if he so chooses. I certainly wouldn't be offended if he did so, and I certainly hope he doesn't take offense. We're suppose to support each other, not beat each other up.

dougwg's suggestion to quiz oneself in preperation is an excellent suggestion as it aids in mental preperation.

One of the reasons danbus got a settlement is because he knew how to properly deal with a situation. One of the reasons he got community service, is because he pushed the envelope.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I guess I should have been more clear about "mouthing off". An example of this is when I was asked for ID and my pistol registration (cop's words, not mine) while OCing and I told the officer I was not required to provide them. That is what I meant. Not, "I don't have to show you anything!", or something to that effect. You are right, every word you say in front of a cop is another chance for them to hang you, which is why I state the law once and leave it at that. After that it is "am I free to go". In response to Doug's questions, mine would be as follows:

1) No.

2) Yes.

3) and 4) My business is my own.

I don't know if that is the "right" answer, but that is what I would/have say/said.

Now as for the response to 3) and 4), I live in a small town and the police aren't the anonymous faces of the law. We know them, their families, etc. They usually aren't going to go out of their way to give you a hard time and I try to make their job as easy as possible. In metro-Detroit it is a different story, since you and the cop are probably pretty sure you will never see each other again. If stopped in metro-Detroit I would probably give a more direct answer so as not to get on the cop's bad side.

-Rob