• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leo's aren't all bad

riverrat10k

imported post

Checked out this supposed LEO site and found these stats about captial punishment.

forums.officer.com

Their poll showed +27% favored death by the method of murder, with survivors having the option of pulling the switch.

-24% said public hanging.

public firing squad came in distant third at -13%

Don't know squat about the site. Just thought this was interesting.

riverrat

MetalChris

imported post

It's funny that you cite O.com in the context of good LEO's. In my experience about 95% of the morons over there are JBT pieces of sh!t.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

The problem with capital punishment is that there's no restitution possible if you mistakenly execute an innocent man.

How often does the wrong person get convicted? You'd be surprised. Try Googling 'Ken Jenne conviction scandal'.

And then there's the notion that the state should not have the power to kill citizens.

riverrat10k

imported post

Mea culpa.

Was re-reading a Robert Heinlein novel last night. He spoke of a culture that "balanced" offenders. I.e., someone who caused a car accident with injurywas staked down in the road and his leg was run over, the waiting ambulance delayed treatmentas long as the original victim had to wait, then amputated his leg and took him to the hospital.

The premise was that it was a very safe and polite society and things like the above did not happen very often.

I guess I was surprised to see the same "eye for an eye" mentality in their poll.

rat

codename_47

imported post

FreedomJoy,
Check out Dallas County's Innocence project. Look at the Olympic park bomber fiasco or the anthrax "investigation", both cases where the FBI was just sooooo sure they had the right guy until they realized they didn't. I also have to question the deterrent factor of capital punishment.

I guess I was surprised to see the same "eye for an eye" mentality in their poll.

It never is really an eye for an eye. It is your eye for someone else's eye. THEIR eyes never seem to get involved when they do something wrong.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Mea culpa.

Was re-reading a Robert Heinlein novel last night. He spoke of a culture that "balanced" offenders. I.e., someone who caused a car accident with injurywas staked down in the road and his leg was run over, the waiting ambulance delayed treatmentas long as the original victim had to wait, then amputated his leg and took him to the hospital.

The premise was that it was a very safe and polite society and things like the above did not happen very often.

rat
Which Heinlein was that, please?

riverrat10k

imported post

"Number of the Beast", 1980

The specific part was mostly background data, not really a plotline. The same "earth analog" hadreference bookskept in locked vaults concerning "The Year They Hung the Lawyers" lol

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
FreedomJoy,
Check out Dallas County's Innocence project. Look at the Olympic park bomber fiasco or the anthrax "investigation", both cases where the FBI was just sooooo sure they had the right guy until they realized they didn't. I also have to question the deterrent factor of capital punishment.

It never is really an eye for an eye. It is your eye for someone else's eye. THEIR eyes never seem to get involved when they do something wrong.

Yes, I'm aware of those. Deterrent factor sounds good until you consider the possibility of accidentally punishing the innocent.

And yes, the immunity that most police and prosecutors enjoy from incompetent or malicious prosecutions is part of the problem. We really need a way to punish police and prosecutors for sloppy prosecution, and the use of paid informants needs to stop.

Mike Nifong's censurewas a fluke, and in my opinion didn't get nearly the punishment he deserves for what he did. The only reason Nifong didn't get away with what he did is that his defendants came from wealthy families. The average citizen would not have stood a chance.

Google 'Tim Masters' and 'Mike Nifong', if you feel up for some outrage.

canadian

imported post

FreedomJoyAdventure wrote:
We really need a way to punish police and prosecutors for sloppy prosecution, and the use of paid informants needs to stop.

Oh there's a way.

Sheriff

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
It's funny that you cite O.com in the context of good LEO's. In my experience about 95% of the morons over there are JBT pieces of sh!t.

I find it hard to believe people can't figure this out all by themselves. :banghead:

nitrovic

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Checked out this supposed LEO site and found these stats about captial punishment.

forums.officer.com

Their poll showed +27% favored death by the method of murder, with survivors having the option of pulling the switch.

-24% said public hanging.

public firing squad came in distant third at -13%

Don't know squat about the site. Just thought this was interesting.

riverrat

A lot on that site aren't LEO's, just wannabe's or trolls. Just fyi.

KBCraig

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Mike Nifong and prosecutors like him provide the winning argument against capital punishment.
Exactly.

Lest anyone misunderstand, I believe that death is fully justified as a punishment in some cases, but I do not trust the government with this power.

Some good reasons why:

Ryan Frederick.

Cory Maye.

Randy Weaver.

Genarlow Wilson.

Ron Williamson.

You might know all those names, or none of them. In each case, a man was either wrongly convicted or unjustly persecuted by prosecutors who would have gladly put them to death.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Who is it among us who wants to kill another human being?? And I mean aside fron the heat of passion. If my brother in law were to kill my sister, do not doubt that I would drive 500 miles and kill him myself, not with a gun but with a baseball bat; unless of course the Law got to him first and had him confined where I could not get to him. At some point I would have to look on him as a pathetic wretch, albeit a pathetic wretch who deserved the death penalty. I can imagine myself poised above his trembling form, baseball bat ready to emd his life, my sister's bloody corpse only scant feet away. But what good would I do?? and how would I know that Sis had been the victim of intruders and thatmy Brother-in-law had sustained injuries trying to defend her??

This is why we have trials. And the death penalty can be a result. And gas a man or shoot him or hang him by his neck, orn pass electricity through him or give him an injection of lethal drugs, in the end he is still dead and there is no reversing the process. And there are prosecutors who like the "feather in the cap" that a Capital sentence can give them: "Look! I just made sure that guy will never harm anyone ever again!! And I know my brother- in -law well enough to know that he would never ever harm my sister, his wife. But evidence can paint a perverted trail, and combined with prosecutorial ambition the result can be the ultimate perversion of justice: the execution of an innocent man.

Herein lies a paradox: There exist some things that people do that not only merit but absolutely cry out to God Almighty forthe life ofthe perpetrator. Andthere exist those people who would lay down another human on the killing machine just to advance their own fortunes. No matter what the weenies say, the death penalty does indeeddeter homicide. But no matter what the adocates of the death chamber say, in our capital system the chance of executing an innocent man is ever-present. We are not Gods. We are human beings. That our present systems of criminal justice; be they inclusive or exclusive of the death penalty: are woefully imprecise is one of the curses on our Human race.

Having said that, if I were to catch my brother-in-law or anyone else truying to harm my sister, I would worry about the criminal justice systen later......

richarcm

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Mike Nifong and prosecutors like him provide the winning argument against capital punishment.
Exactly.

Lest anyone misunderstand, I believe that death is fully justified as a punishment in some cases, but I do not trust the government with this power.

Some good reasons why:

Ryan Frederick.

Cory Maye.

Randy Weaver.

Genarlow Wilson.

Ron Williamson.

You might know all those names, or none of them. In each case, a man was either wrongly convicted or unjustly persecuted by prosecutors who would have gladly put them to death.
In those cases maybe the prosecutors should be tried for murder. I agree with the death penalty as a deterrent, a punishment and a means to rid society of rabid monsters. It's like the whole gun argument. Should we get rid of guns because certain people don't use them responsibly? No. We need to hold those PARTICULAR people responsible for their wrongdoings. No criminal punishment guarantees that everyone is an actual criminal...whether it be probation, jail, prison, community service or execution. Which is worse, to be in prison for 30 years when you did nothing wrong or being killed? I might prefer death. You can steadily trickle down the argument of the 'innocent' until we don't punish people at all. If that's the case the ultimate result would be anarchy and that would be no better. Unfortunately we have to trust government with certain powers even if they can be used against us in an irresponsible way. I see the death penalty as a power that should be readily available but that must have pretty clear and irrefutable evidence against the accused. Until that point you keep them in prison (possibly as an innocent man/woman).

To the people who dismiss execution as not being punishment because most of these people WANT to be dead....I say good. Give them what they want so they will stop killing people in order to get it. If that's the case then this is completely 100% humane.

So again, perhaps we should try sloppy prosecutors for murder if/when it is evident that an innocent person was put to death. But execution itself, in my opinion, is a completely valid punishment when used responsibly and when presented with undeniable evidence.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

marshaul wrote:

Exactly so. The problem with prosecutors (and judges and sheriffs and police chiefs) is that so many of them are out to make a name for themselves in order to advance their political careers. And unfortunately they sometimes do so at the expense of innocent citizens.

"Mistrust those in whom the urge to punish is strong." -Friedrich Nietzsche