• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An OC dichotomy

Hammer

imported post

My usual OC rig is a Glock 20. Looks as much like a duty rig as the uninformed might imagine. I have never had much comment on it. One time a fella did an about-face and started following me. When I took a defensive stance and asked, it turned out he had a Glock and wanted to know about my comp'd barrel.

So, muzzleloading hunting the other day, I ws OCing my Ruger Old Army. Just hadda do it, after all the nay-sayers and their "sage" advice.
Went into the local grocery to pick up some road food for hunting. Instead of more work/dress oriented attire, I was wearing hunting garb.
As I entered the store, I saw her. She was wall-eyed, staring at my sidearm. Said to the store clerk carrying her groceries, "He's got a gun"
I didn't even turn to ask or explain.
Could it be that a Rosewood grip on a s/a pistol captures more attention than a flat black composite gun?
I admit, it might also be a fluke occurance. One in XXX thousand, that could happen anytime, anywhere.

I notice that often, the uninformed ask if someone OCing is LE. Somehow that seems to make it OK.
A Rosewood grip on a s/a pistol is not duty issue. Could that make it "not" OK?
Food for thought....

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I've noticed when I carry my xd with dark clothes it pretty much goes un noticed bu if i'm wearing a lighter colored shirt I get alot of bug eyes. I think just the fact that it's black people dont pay too much attention because of all the stuff people carry on their belts, cell phones, multi tools, pda's ect.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
I think just the fact that it's black people dont pay too much attention because of all the stuff people carry on their belts, cell phones, multi tools, pda's ect.
I had to read this a few times to figure out that you meant the gun was black, not the people. :) You probably should have a comma after the word "black".

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My security six with the 6" barrel gets noticed more often when I am wearing lighter colored clothes. The holster is black, and so are the grips. If I'm wearing black jeans and a dark shirt it doesn't get noticed as much.

I've seen a couple of cellphone holsters in recent months that made me do a double take. They look like something one would put a small compact handgun in.

carhas0

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:
I think just the fact that it's black people dont pay too much attention because of all the stuff people carry on their belts, cell phones, multi tools, pda's ect.
I had to read this a few times to figure out that you meant the gun was black, not the people. :) You probably should have a comma after the word "black".
I did the same thing.

FMCDH

imported post

I think your right. I have noticed similar reactions from people. The more a gun looks like a "service" weapon, the less people pay attention. The more "exotic" the weapon looks, the more people look at you like your a cow boy or some eccentric nut.

In my own experiences, I get far more looks with my small wood handled revolver than I do with my stainless steel .45. It may have something to do with how much I look like an LOE when I carry it. (Not MY fault, I have to keep my hair this short by military standards!) :p

Just my experience.

MadHatter66

imported post

I carry a 1911 in a serpa... Certainly looks like an undercover rig... Never really had anyone ask about it... I have had a few bug eyed people, especially the 16yo checker at target, but thats about it...

I also think its about how you carry yourself, if you are twitchy, you draw more attention... I carried a gun for a long time in the CG, so it is something that I dont really think about. If you act the part, people believe it, and there is no law about people thinking that you might be LE...

FMCDH

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote
and there is no law about people thinking that you might be LE...

Very true, tho I would never be one to lead a person on. Its kind of ironic that being military, the only time I carry a gun is when I'm NOT working. A small point of humor in fact... consider that the only people who carry a gun on the base that Iwork on are the people who are NOT in the military. The security and WSP. Apparently, the militaryare the only ones who CANT be trusted with a firearm on a militarybase. :D

Edited for clairty.

shad0wfax

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Very true, tho I would never be one to lead a person on. Its kind of ironic that being military, the only time I carry a gun is when I'm NOT working. A small point of humor in fact... consider that the only people who carry a gun on the base that work on are the people who are NOT in the military. The security and WSP. Apparently, we are the only ones who CANT be trusted with a firearm on base. :D

My reply is rather off-topic from the OP's thread, but I figured I'd voice some of my own military irony in response to your response, FMCDH. :)

The base I was last stationed at before my honorable discharge was overseas. The USMC carried constantly and kept their rifles and pistols in their barracks which served as an armory. (This was in case the base was attacked.) The USN SP's (and ASF) carried their M9's and sometimes M4's when they were on duty, but kept them at the base armory when off-duty. The USAF SF's carried their M4's and M9's while on patrol as well.

The police officers of the country the base was in also carried handgunson-base.

Here's where the irony starts: The country banned handguns for all civilians except competition shooters who have permits and store their handguns at the range they practice at. Shotguns and rifles can be kept in homes with licenses. Even the country's police could not carry handguns on normal duty. The police were only allowed to carry batons andMk-4 OC-spray (pepper), with a few carrying carbines. The exception wason-base (and in one other city where the country has a larger private airfield). Police on-base (and at the other airfield)carried Glock 17's.

Thus, being a police officer cleared for base access was a big deal for these officers and they were all jealous of the ones who got to carry Glocks. They were all jealous of the USMC, USN, and USAF weaponry as well.

CrossBow33

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote
and there is no law about people thinking that you might be LE...

Very true, tho I would never be one to lead a person on. Its kind of ironic that being military, the only time I carry a gun is when I'm NOT working. A small point of humor in fact... consider that the only people who carry a gun on the base that Iwork on are the people who are NOT in the military. The security and WSP. Apparently, the militaryare the only ones who CANT be trusted with a firearm on a militarybase. :D

Edited for clairty.

Don't get me started about not carrying, openly or otherwise, on a military base.

The military police, all services, are extremely short handed due to the unpleasantness overseas. So, they close the gates or reduce their hours, hire contractors to perform gate guard duties, etc. Some of the contractors appear competent. Some do not. Some are downright scary. They are all armed. From a security standpoint, if no other, how much more sense would it make to also allow (!?!) active duty, DoD civilians,and retired military folks to carry on the post. In Washington, many of these folks already have concealed carry permits and many have Secret security clearances if not higher.

If you live in married housing (and don't have any domestic violence issues) you may keep firearms at the house, after registering them with the authorities. If you're single, living in the barracks (we call them dorms, now) you're out of luck. You may keep them in the armory and check them in and out.

In the Air Force, the Wing Commander has, ostensibly, the authority to prohibit/regulate firearms on his base. In fact, there probably isn't a single individual, DoD-wide, in that position who would change/modify/loosen the regs. Rocking the boat or sticking your neck out is not the way to continued advancement.

It's interesting how our rights, which we have sworn to protect and defend, evaporate at the front gate.

See what happens when you get me started...!!

FMCDH

imported post

It's interesting how our rights, which we have sworn to protect and defend, evaporate at the front gate.

I compleatly agree. Those of us in the military, much like theLEO that we have armed and allow to be armed in almost any situation, have taken an oath very close to that which they have taken. We too are held to the laws of the citizenry, but also that of the UCMJ which civilians and LEO are not. If anything, we have more to loose and are under greater scrutiny than that of the average citizen or LEO if we mess up.

There, you got me started too. ;)

MadHatter66

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

I compleatly agree. Those of us in the military, much like theLEO that we have armed and allow to be armed in almost any situation, have taken an oath very close to that which they have taken. We too are held to the laws of the citizenry, but also that of the UCMJ which civilians and LEO are not. If anything, we have more to loose and are under greater scrutiny than that of the average citizen or LEO if we mess up.

There, you got me started too. ;)

I spent 5 years in the Coast Guard...all I can say about it as an organization is that most of the people in it are petty ass holes... I have never felt treated more like a child, and not trusted then my time with the CG. I carried a weapon quite a bit, but always treated like I was being given a privilege, like I am being allowed by some higher power... I took the oath, and as far as I am concerned, never protected anything but some captains stripes and command, because the dont want the shame of being relieved of command.

Now I am started too... :?

MadHatter66

imported post

ree wrote:
You mean looks like a duty rig? A Serpa would be a horrible undercover rig.

MadHatter66 wrote:
I carry a 1911 in a serpa... Certainly looks like an undercover rig...

Sorry, meant a plain clothes duty rig...Not undercover :banghead:... Can you imagine carrying a full sized 1911 undercover...geez... that would get uncomfortable in a hurry...

unknownsailor

imported post

I also carried only when off work, even when NAS Whidbey was an open base when I first arrived in 2000.
And I agree that security at most bases is a joke.
Sorry to say, it isn't much different over here in the Orient, either.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

When I lived in the barracks as a NCO, I had to store all my weapons in the company arms room. At some point I went to sign out a couple of my pistols to take to the range and I was told I couldn't because the CO said it was a privilege. I did something to tick off the CO and I was given a written counseling statement a few days earlier. That counseling barred me from all company privileges for 30 days. Instead of going shooting that weekend I went apartment hunting. 31 days later I had all my weapons.