• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reccomend me a beginner reloading kit

Phssthpok

imported post

I've been fairly religious about saving brass for the past few years for the day when I got into reloading.

I'm feeling a little lemming-ish ATM what with Obama winning and all, and I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to establish the ability to feed my little babies in the future, come what may.

What I don't know is what to look for in a set-up, nor what I should expect to pay (value more than 'price').

hsmith

imported post

how much money you looking to spend is the real question. i started with a hand loading setup (which I am still using) - i am getting ready to upgrade to a dillon 550 and a giurad (sp) trimmer :D

Find the "ABC's of Reloading" - good book and a good read. Reloading isn't hard at all, you just have to be careful. Shooting your first reloading round is the scariest moment of your life :D

Guy on another forum I frequent came up with a "reloading setup in a 50cal can" which is what I went with.

I wanted to make a reloading setup that was very compact and required no real mounting. This might interest anyone who lives in a small space, wants a portable setup, or just doesn't shoot much to justify a more expensive press and the space it takes up. The entire setup fits in a 50cal ammo can with the exception of the scale and bullet puller. The set of lee dippers is not pictured and are used with the scale to weigh each charge. A powder measure may come in the future. I can do my 3 favorite calibers here including fixing military brass. I sized and deprimed like 400 pistol cases yesterday and deprimed, reamed, sized, trimmed, and chamfered/deburred like 300 pieces of .223 yesterday and so far have no complaints other than trimming brass is annoying.

reloading1.jpg

reloading2.jpg

reloading3.jpg

mobeewan

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
You'll get many / varied responses but I'm partial to http://www.dillonprecision.com .

+1 for Dillon.

I have the RL550 converted to RL550B and can load .45acp, .38 spcl, .357 mag, & .223. Still need to order parts for.308. I have a powder measurer for each caliber set up including .38 and .357 (got tired of readgusting and swapping the powder measurer). All Ihave to do is swap the primer feed (for large or small primer), shell plate, pull pins/switch upper assy, take a bight of pizza, take a drink of something, look everything over again and in less than 5 minutes I'm loading a differentcaliber.

Michigander

imported post

I love my Lee Hand press, and reccomend it to anyone on a budget, and anyone who lacks space.

If you have lots of money and/orspace, I would suggest going to cabelas or something, looking at the different options, then either buying what you like there, or saving some money and buying online.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dillion must be seriously swamped. I've been waiting forever for their catalog. However, I like the small portable Lee setup. Seems like portability can be a huge advantage.

vinnie

imported post

Lee classic loader and a mallet. You can reload anywhere. Fits in a pocket. Instructions have pictures for those who can't read. 30 bucks.

Michigander

imported post

vinnie wrote:
Lee classic loader and a mallet. You can reload anywhere. Fits in a pocket. Instructions have pictures for those who can't read. 30 bucks.
They are only good for non semi automatic weapons. Only resizes the case neck. While I think they are cool, and a cheap and easy way to dabble into reloading, I wouldn't suggest them to anyone who wants to reload any real quantity of ammo.

vinnie

imported post

Actually the ones for semi automatics size the entire case. If they don't make one for your caliber ask about a custom set. I called to get a set for my dad's new rifle. When they told me that they cut back to only the most popular rounds and didn't make any more off caliber (Winchester .243 WSSM was new) I asked who I should complain to. 30 seconds later I was on the phone with CEO John Lee. He treated it like a wildcat. I sent 2 spent casing and a slug to him along with a $50 check and had a custom set in less than 10 days.
You are right though, they are not fast, but I can turn out 50 or so rounds an hour pretty easy.

Dom

imported post

I'd recommend the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Kit. It has just about everything you need except dies, a case length gauge, and shell holders for $100.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121744

For dies, I personally don't like Lee and prefer RCBS but it's a matter of choice: dies usually fit on any press. You may also want to pick up a tumbler, additional reloading manuals for the caliber(s) you plan on reloading, and an inertial bullet puller for boo boos.