• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving a pistol as a gift

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am a resident of Virginia with my CHP, so I can legally possess and carry handguns in Michigan. I will be traveling to Michigan and would like to give a family member a pistol as a gift. Does anyone really understand what needs to be done in this case?

I understand the recipient must get a permit to purchase unless they have a CPL, but after that I'm kind of lost. The laws seem to keep referring to the "seller" does that mean me even in the case of a gift and not being a gun dealer? Am I required to keep any forms on file after the transfer?

Also what is involved in the safety inspection? Do you have to drop off the pistol and leave it there or do the police do it while you wait?

Thanks for your help.

Bronson

imported post

I believe that as a non-Michigan resident you will have to have a dealer in Virginia transfer it to a dealer in Michigan. There will be fees involved, possibly on both ends, and you'll probably have to cover shipping (get them to ship it to the MI dealer through the U.S. mail as it is much cheaper).

The person who is receiving it will have to obtain a purchaser's permit (unless they have a CPL) and with this permit they will be able to pick it up from the MI shop. The MI shop will do all the needed paperwork and the receiver will then take the paperwork and pistol to the police station to have it "safety inspected". I've never had to leave a pistol overnight, they've always done it while I waited.

I'm not a FFL holderbut that is as I understand it. Check with the localshops on both ends and they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Bronson

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Ifyou're traveling up here andhave a concealed pistol license issued byyour home state,youmay bring the gun to Michigan.

The buyer will need to obtain a "purchase permit" if they are not a CPL holder.

You will be the "seller" even though no money is transfered and he will be the buyer.

After the purchase permit is filled out and signed the "buyer" can take the gun (encased and unloaded) to their local police department for the safety inspection(registration).

In my city all this could be done in 15 min with both of us at the police station with the gun.

Some cities will impose their own "rules" illegal as they are. Some will make you wait for the purchase permit and some won't. Some will insist that you leave the gun over night or even for days so they can have time to "complete the safety inspection"

ghostrider

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Ifyou're traveling up here andhave a concealed pistol license issued byyour home state,youmay bring the gun to Michigan.

The seller will need to obtain a "purchase permit" if they are not a CPL holder.

You will be the "seller" even though no money is transfered and he will be the buyer.

After the purchase permit is filled out and signed the "buyer" can take the gun (encased and unloaded) to their local police department for the safety inspection(registration).

In my city all this could be done in 15 min with both of us at the police station with the gun.

Some cities will impose their own "rules" illegal as they are. Some will make you wait for the purchase permit and some won't. Some will insist that you leave the gun over night or even for days so they can have time to "complete the safety inspection"
What dougwg said. All you need to do is have the person who is receiving it get a permit to purchase. I think what Bronson is refering to is when a gun is transferred through a shipping agent. FTF sales do not need a FFL.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

The seller will need to obtain a "purchase permit" if they are not a CPL holder.

What dougwg said. All you need to do is have the person who is receiving it get a permit to purchase. I think what Bronson is refering to is when a gun is transferred through a shipping agent. FTF sales do not need a FFL.
This is what I suspected. One more question, as a "seller" will I be required to keep any paperwork after the transaction?

ghostrider

imported post

asforme wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

This is what I suspected. One more question, as a "seller" will I be required to keep any paperwork after the transaction?
It would certainly be a good idea so that you have a record of it. That way if anything happens with the gun, you can prove that your legally turned it over to someone else and are no longer the owner.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

asforme wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

1) I suspect doug meant to say buyer.

2) You can do one of the following:

A. Youpersonally can mail (overnight) the gunto a FFL in Michigan where it's convenient for your family member to pick up. Or,

B. Have a FFL in Virginia send it to a FFL in Michigan.

I personally would choose (B).

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
asforme wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

A. Youpersonally can mail (overnight) the gunto a FFL in Michigan where it's convenient for your family member to pick up. Or,

This is a face to face transaction. I will be traveling to Michigan to personally give the gift. I have a concealed carry permit from my home state of Virginia so I can legally carry and possess handguns in Michigan. Is it still necessary to transfer through a FFL?

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
asforme wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

That is a route to take, but since the OP is bringing the gun to Michigan on a trip here, it is unnecessary. All he really has to do is hand it over to his friend, although getting a seller's copy of the purchase permit would be a good idea. I did this with my father years ago. I lived in Louisiana, and gave him a pistol. We then took it down to the sheriff's office to conduct the finger printing and paperwork. No need to involve the FFL or the expense involved.

And I think your right about dougwg meaning "buyer".

ghostrider

imported post

asforme wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
asforme wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
dougwg wrote:

This is a face to face transaction. I will be traveling to Michigan to personally give the gift. I have a concealed carry permit from my home state of Virginia so I can legally carry and possess handguns in Michigan. Is it still necessary to transfer through a FFL?
No.

If your still unsure, then check out:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

He'll probably tell you the same, but it couldn't hurt to check.

An FFL is not required.

ETA:
Wouldn't you know it. I just checked there and found this:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32177