• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PF Changs - posted no guns

essayons

imported post

I went to PF Changs at Stony Point for a very nice dinner the other night, and on the way out I noticed a very small, very hard to see sign banning firearms "concealed or unconcealed" for "the safety of employees and guests."

I didn't have a camera and don't often go to Stony Point, if anyone is nearby could they snap a picture of the sign so I can forward it to the VCDL?

Stony Point itself is not posted, but they have a no-firearms policy. If you are unfamiliar with the mall, PF Changs is somewhat separate, their entrance is on the exterior of the mall.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

essayons wrote:
I went to PF Changs at Stony Point for a very nice dinner the other night, and on the way out I noticed a very small, very hard to see sign banning firearms "concealed or unconcealed" for "the safety of employees and guests."

I didn't have a camera and don't often go to Stony Point, if anyone is nearby could they snap a picture of the sign so I can forward it to the VCDL?

Stony Point itself is not posted, but they have a no-firearms policy. If you are unfamiliar with the mall, PF Changs is somewhat separate, their entrance is on the exterior of the mall.
Must be a new sign. I am dissappointed. Have been there before while OCing with no problems and I looked very carefully for signs - there were none.

I OC everytme I go to Stoney Point - multiple shops + Dick's - and have never been questioned or received any negative response.

Yata hey

essayons

imported post

It is a clear plastic sticker on the glass to the left of the revolving door. About 3 feet off the ground and the sign is maybe 1'x1'. Pretty hard to see, especially at night.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a nice conversation with the Director of Public Safety for both Stony Point and Regency Mall, Dennis Rainey, who informed me of the no-gun policy at both of those malls. More power to you for OCing, but I'd wager its just a matter of time before a mall employee or security guard notices and asks you to leave.

acrimsontide

imported post

I ate at PF Changs in Huntsville, Al last night, but didn't really notice a no firearms sign. I'll look my next trip.....I was carrying concealed as we can't carry openly in Huntsville without risking arrest on something like disorderly conduct.

vrwmiller

imported post

It is my understanding (I have not personally experienced this) that PF Chang's is actively anti-gun and will ask visitors to leave if they notice patrons carrying a sidearm.

That said, it's crappy food anyway. Find some hole in the wall and you'll be better off :lol:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
I ate at PF Changs in Huntsville, Al last night, but didn't really notice a no firearms sign. I'll look my next trip.....I was carrying concealed as we can't carry openly in Huntsville without risking arrest on something like disorderly conduct.
In VA you have to carry openly anywhere that has an on-premise ABC license...like PF Chang's.

acrimsontide

imported post

Yeah, state laws are all over the board. We are not prohibited from carrying concealed where alcohol is sold.

eyesopened

imported post

I don't normally eat there as it's just overpriced chinese food - LOL

There is a local carryout place that is much cheaper and the food is freshly made as you order. The family that owns it are great people and the delivery guy(s) conceal carry while at work (owners know about it and they have no issue with it). I've taken one of the family members shooting a few times and I'm working on him to buy himself a pistol. It's only a matter of time :)

soloban

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
It is my understanding (I have not personally experienced this) that PF Chang's is actively anti-gun and will ask visitors to leave if they notice patrons carrying a sidearm.

That said, it's crappy food anyway. Find some hole in the wall and you'll be better off :lol:
+100 on that. $14 for an order of General Tso's chicken? :what:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PF Changs = fail. The food sucks, and they've always been overtly anti-gun.

Anti-gun to the extent that they belong on the Do Not Patronize lists and nobody who is a gun owner should ever patronize PF Changs or Pei Wei.

/thread

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I don't normally eat there as it's just overpriced chinese food - LOL

There is a local carryout place that is much cheaper and the food is freshly made as you order.  The family that owns it are great people and the delivery guy(s) conceal carry while at work (owners know about it and they have no issue with it).  I've taken one of the family members shooting a few times and I'm working on him to buy himself a pistol.  It's only a matter of time :)
Now, that's a win Chinese restaurant. Immigrants adopting American values FTW, PF Changs FTL.

essayons

imported post

marshaul wrote:
PF Changs = fail. The food sucks, and they've always been overtly anti-gun.

Anti-gun to the extent that they belong on the Do Not Patronize lists and nobody who is a gun owner should ever patronize PF Changs or Pei Wei.

/thread
Well you have very precisely missed the entire point of the thread, which was to get a picture of the sign and add PF Changs to the "Gun-owner unfriendly" list maintained by the VCDL.

PF Changs food is decent, although overpriced, and the service and atmosphere is very nice. And I wasn't paying for dinner :D so I'm not complaining. I won't be going there again.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the early days of the Tidewater OC dinners, we once planned to go to PF Chang's near Pembroke Mall. I made the mistake of calling ahead to ask (we don't do that anymore!) and got their usual mealy mouthed nonsense about "the safety of our patrons". We didn't go and we've never looked back. Avoid those places: they are as anti-self defense as they are overpriced, and there are PLENTY of good places that are'nt anti-gun, don't overprice, and provide great food!

TFred

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
The family that owns it are great people and the delivery guy(s) conceal carry while at work (owners know about it and they have no issue with it).
I'm amazed that all delivery persons don't carry! It sure could have turned out differently for one of our local Chinese restaurant owning families if their son had been carrying this one night.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/102008/10152008/417890

TFred

eyesopened

imported post

TFred wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
The family that owns it are great people and the delivery guy(s) conceal carry while at work (owners know about it and they have no issue with it).
I'm amazed that all delivery persons don't carry! It sure could have turned out differently for one of our local Chinese restaurant owning families if their son had been carrying this one night.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/102008/10152008/417890

TFred
Yeah when I heard about that news story, I thought about my buddies at that restaurant. It surely wouldn't have happened to them. :X

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can anyone confirm Pei Wei's stance for sure? Maybe I was misinformed, but I was told the owners of pf changs divorced. The wife got all the recipes (shared) in a court battle and opened pei wei. They may have the same anti-gun stance, but the wife is gonna be pissed if I cross of two of her favorite chinese places in one shot. :?

Edit: I guess I was told a folk tale. I looked it up and pei wei appears to be a fully owned subsidiary of pf changs. drat

Lysander

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Ignore it...it holds no legal weight.

Or don't go there anymore.
No Legal Weight? Really? That statement is accurate so far as there is no specific code section stating that a "No Firearm" sign carries additional legal penalties other than modifying permissions to enter.

Lysander wrote:
This is not legal advice; were this to be legal advice, a bill for services would be attached.

Now that that's out of the way... Here's a 30 second analysis of how a sign can become a bludgeon.

An argument can be made that the rules for entry posted in the signs are a unilateral contract for entry. Why would a contract for entry be necessary? Absent permission to enter, noone has permission to enter the land of another - and such permission can be conditioned upon certain events. For premises held open to the public - such as malls - most people on that property are considered invitees. Other types of people on property not their own are Licensees and Trespassers. A Licensee, according to Blacks (7th Ed, 1999), is "(2) One who has permission to enter or use another's premises, but only for one's own purposes and not for the occupier's benefit." One with a mere license is tolerated on the property but not asked to leave (e.g. taking a shortcut across a neighbor's property), invited to enter (Invitees), or have passibe consent. A Tresspassor is "one who intentionally and without consent or privilege enters another property. There is tortious tresspass and criminal tresspass - the former does not require police intervention or a prosecution.

How does that interact with signage? It can be argued that the signs provide the "ground rules" (the unilateral contract for permission to enter) by which the occupier of the property grants a license, or invites, the public onto its property. VA Code 18.2-119 begins thus: "If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands...." (Emphasis mine.) A licensee or invitee has authority of law to enter, thus is not a tresspassor.

---

OK, so that took me about 10 minutes, mostly looking up the specific definitions.

Remember: this is not legal advice. I am not your attorney, nor am I offering to become your attorney.

ODA 226

imported post

I have OC'd at the Pembroke location at least a dozen times in the past year with no problems. This is disappointing because I kind of liked the place.