Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Buying out out of state?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    Is there any problems or advantages buying a Pistol out of state? Could I drive to Oregon or Idaho show them my CPL and walk out that day with a new gun?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    189

    Post imported post

    Oregon does not recognize your CPL - so don't carry concealed there unless you don't mind breaking the law.


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    No matter what kind of permit you may have, the answer is No. You can only take delivery of a handgun in your state of residence, so if you buy one elsewhere it has to get shipped to your friendly neighborhood FFL.

  4. #4
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    Unless you get a smoking good deal from an out of state Dealer there is no real advantage to buying out of state. You can only receive that gun by having it shipped to an FFL in your state of residence. By the time you pay shipping and the handling fee your savings have dwindled if not vanished.

    As for fees, some local FFL's are charging two fees. One for doing the form 4473 and another for the WA State State application to transfer pistol or revolver. Usually $30-$40 for the 4473 and NICS, another $10 for the State application.

    I prefer to deal locally for another reason. If I am unhappy with the gun for any reason I have someone local to assist me with the factory. Beats having to deal with someone a couple of time zones away.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Sorry amlevin, but I disagree with you 100%.

    I have bought two firearms out of state and payed only $15 for the long-gun and $20 for the pistol for transfer fees. Shipping was around $25 for each.

    I bought the rifle for $620 and the pistol for $420. Since sales tax is around 10% here, you're looking at ~$62 for the rifle and ~$40 for the pistol... and that doesn't include if they want to charge me for the transfer.

    Sounds to me like you're just not shopping around very well for the best price on an FFL transfer dealer.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  6. #6
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    Sorry amlevin, but I disagree with you 100%.

    I have bought two firearms out of state and payed only $15 for the long-gun and $20 for the pistol for transfer fees. Shipping was around $25 for each.

    I bought the rifle for $620 and the pistol for $420. Since sales tax is around 10% here, you're looking at ~$62 for the rifle and ~$40 for the pistol... and that doesn't include if they want to charge me for the transfer.

    Sounds to me like you're just not shopping around very well for the best price on an FFL transfer dealer.
    Perhaps your scenario would save money if you shop over the internet or by phone. If you have to make a trip to physically inspect the weapon then where is the savings. Last I looked gasoline was still expensive (although going down rapidly).

    I buy mostly new guns and have found the prices I paid to be very close to those available online.

    In short, to each his own but be sure to add up ALL the expenses. Don't forget that even though you may only consider the price of gasoline in your driving expenses there is also that for maintenance, tires, and insurance. The average mileage expense when EVERYTHING is included is over $0.40 per mile.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    amlevin wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    Sorry amlevin, but I disagree with you 100%.

    I have bought two firearms out of state and payed only $15 for the long-gun and $20 for the pistol for transfer fees. Shipping was around $25 for each.

    I bought the rifle for $620 and the pistol for $420. Since sales tax is around 10% here, you're looking at ~$62 for the rifle and ~$40 for the pistol... and that doesn't include if they want to charge me for the transfer.

    Sounds to me like you're just not shopping around very well for the best price on an FFL transfer dealer.
    Perhaps your scenario would save money if you shop over the internet or by phone. If you have to make a trip to physically inspect the weapon then where is the savings. Last I looked gasoline was still expensive (although going down rapidly).

    I buy mostly new guns and have found the prices I paid to be very close to those available online.

    In short, to each his own but be sure to add up ALL the expenses. Don't forget that even though you may only consider the price of gasoline in your driving expenses there is also that for maintenance, tires, and insurance. The average mileage expense when EVERYTHING is included is over $0.40 per mile.
    It is actually $0.585 per mile right now.

    I agree with amlevin for the most part. I have bought a couple pistols online but they were extremely good deals. a SW9F after all fees and shipping for just over $200 and a taurus 82 for $195 after all fees. You just don't come across deals like that often and the new gun sales online are surely less of a deal than can be had in a brick and mortar store.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    I was looking for a pistol and the lowest local price I could find was $619. + tax(675) I found on online for $579 no tax or shipping+ $20 FFL transfer=$599 so I saved $75.If you can wait a few days you can savea little...



  9. #9
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    It is actually $0.585 per mile right now.
    That is over $0.40 isn't it


    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    amlevin wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    It is actually $0.585 per mile right now.
    That is over $0.40 isn't it

    Just a little.:P
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    How about a RIFLE? Can I purchase a rifle in OR if I'm a WA resident or do I have to have the dealer ship to my FFL?


    kparker wrote:
    No matter what kind of permit you may have, the answer is No. You can only take delivery of a handgun in your state of residence, so if you buy one elsewhere it has to get shipped to your friendly neighborhood FFL.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    seattlite wrote:
    How about a RIFLE? Can I purchase a rifle in OR if I'm a WA resident or do I have to have the dealer ship to my FFL?


    Yes. Perfectly legal to purchase long guns (rifles/shotguns) from a state that borders your own. No special procedures.

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    Phssthpok wrote:
    Yes. Perfectly legal to purchase long guns (rifles/shotguns) from a state that borders your own. No special procedures.

    You can purchase a rifle from an FFL in ANY state (not just bordering state) provided the long arm is legal to possess in both states. (Sorry Ca., No evil full festured AR-15s for you)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •