• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying out out of state?

d0od

imported post

Is there any problems or advantages buying a Pistol out of state? Could I drive to Oregon or Idaho show them my CPL and walk out that day with a new gun?

tricityguy

imported post

Oregon does not recognize your CPL - so don't carry concealed there unless you don't mind breaking the law.

kparker

imported post

No matter what kind of permit you may have, the answer is No. You can only take delivery of a handgun in your state of residence, so if you buy one elsewhere it has to get shipped to your friendly neighborhood FFL.

amlevin

imported post

Unless you get a smoking good deal from an out of state Dealer there is no real advantage to buying out of state. You can only receive that gun by having it shipped to an FFL in your state of residence. By the time you pay shipping and the handling fee your savings have dwindled if not vanished.

As for fees, some local FFL's are charging two fees. One for doing the form 4473 and another for the WA State State application to transfer pistol or revolver. Usually $30-$40 for the 4473 and NICS, another $10 for the State application.

I prefer to deal locally for another reason. If I am unhappy with the gun for any reason I have someone local to assist me with the factory. Beats having to deal with someone a couple of time zones away.

just_a_car

imported post

Sorry amlevin, but I disagree with you 100%.

I have bought two firearms out of state and payed only $15 for the long-gun and $20 for the pistol for transfer fees. Shipping was around $25 for each.

I bought the rifle for $620 and the pistol for $420. Since sales tax is around 10% here, you're looking at ~$62 for the rifle and ~$40 for the pistol... and that doesn't include if they want to charge me for the transfer.

Sounds to me like you're just not shopping around very well for the best price on an FFL transfer dealer.

amlevin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

I have bought two firearms out of state and payed only $15 for the long-gun and $20 for the pistol for transfer fees. Shipping was around $25 for each.

I bought the rifle for $620 and the pistol for $420. Since sales tax is around 10% here, you're looking at ~$62 for the rifle and ~$40 for the pistol... and that doesn't include if they want to charge me for the transfer.

Sounds to me like you're just not shopping around very well for the best price on an FFL transfer dealer.

Perhaps your scenario would save money if you shop over the internet or by phone. If you have to make a trip to physically inspect the weapon then where is the savings. Last I looked gasoline was still expensive (although going down rapidly).

I buy mostly new guns and have found the prices I paid to be very close to those available online.

In short, to each his own but be sure to add up ALL the expenses. Don't forget that even though you may only consider the price of gasoline in your driving expenses there is also that for maintenance, tires, and insurance. The average mileage expense when EVERYTHING is included is over $0.40 per mile.

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Perhaps your scenario would save money if you shop over the internet or by phone. If you have to make a trip to physically inspect the weapon then where is the savings. Last I looked gasoline was still expensive (although going down rapidly).

I buy mostly new guns and have found the prices I paid to be very close to those available online.

In short, to each his own but be sure to add up ALL the expenses. Don't forget that even though you may only consider the price of gasoline in your driving expenses there is also that for maintenance, tires, and insurance. The average mileage expense when EVERYTHING is included is over $0.40 per mile.
It is actually $0.585 per mile right now.

I agree with amlevin for the most part. I have bought a couple pistols online but they were extremely good deals. a SW9F after all fees and shipping for just over $200 and a taurus 82 for $195 after all fees. You just don't come across deals like that often and the new gun sales online are surely less of a deal than can be had in a brick and mortar store.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I was looking for a pistol and the lowest local price I could find was $619. + tax(675) I found on online for $579 no tax or shipping+ $20 FFL transfer=$599 so I saved $75.If you can wait a few days you can savea little...

seattlite

imported post

How about a RIFLE? Can I purchase a rifle in OR if I'm a WA resident or do I have to have the dealer ship to my FFL?

kparker wrote:
No matter what kind of permit you may have, the answer is No. You can only take delivery of a handgun in your state of residence, so if you buy one elsewhere it has to get shipped to your friendly neighborhood FFL.

Phssthpok

imported post

seattlite wrote:
How about a RIFLE? Can I purchase a rifle in OR if I'm a WA resident or do I have to have the dealer ship to my FFL?

Yes. Perfectly legal to purchase long guns (rifles/shotguns) from a state that borders your own. No special procedures.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Yes. Perfectly legal to purchase long guns (rifles/shotguns) from a state that borders your own. No special procedures.

You can purchase a rifle from an FFL in ANY state (not just bordering state) provided the long arm is legal to possess in both states. (Sorry Ca., No evil full festured AR-15s for you)