• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Open (or CC for that matter) .45 semi-automatic

What caliber do you use as your primary 'Carry' ?

• Fifty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forty Four

• Forty

• .38/.380

• .357 Magnum

• Thirty Two

• Twenty Two

• 10mm

• 9mm

• Total voters

marrandy

imported post

I'm looking for a .45 semi-auto and would like people's opinions for both open and concealed carry.

Thanks

I've added a poll by caliber as I'm curious :)

marrandy

imported post

Oop's = somethings broken on the system.

The system has added a lot of extra numbers and I can't see how to edit that.

I'll contact the forum maintainer to see if it can be cleaned up.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I fixed it but I have never heard of a thirty five caliber. Is that correct?

marrandy wrote:

marrandy

imported post

:)

I was only allowed to add 10 items so I doubled some up.

You may want to pad out the list (if you wish) e.g.

.38 special/.380ACP etc. even though they are different rounds.

I know I could have dropped the .5

I looked here..and was overwhelmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

If you like, pick what you think are the 10 most common and redo it. No problems there.

Oh, I just checked again and it says poll ended even though I gave it 'unlimited' time

Great...the extra numbers have been fixed now :)

the .35 needs changing to .357 (or as you've put it, thirty five seven). Forum issue huh ?

Does it work if you put a 0 (zero in) ie. instead of .357, 0.357 ?

Thanks

nepawolf

imported post

I'm quite fond of S&W M&P 45. 10 in the clip, polymer frame, picatinny rail, coated stainless slide (pretty sure the barrel is the same). I carry it in a blackhawk cqc holster, on a pistol belt if I'm ocing, straight on my regular belt usually if I'm ccing. comes with the paddle. Holster runs about 40 around me, 540 for the pistol. It's made to better quality than glocks, and it's ambidextrous. My buddy got one in 9, holds 17 in the clip with no extension and he's a lefty.

madcapmag

imported post

I recently got a Dan Wesson Pointman7. Its a fullsize (5inch barrel) 1911. I have been OC-ing it with my CompTac IWB Infidel holster. It is a heavier pistol, but I actually do not notice it too much. It also helps that it is a single stack so is fairly thin.

shad0wfax

imported post

.357 Magnum as primary OC and CC

.380 auto as primary only in very hot shorts & t-shirt weather (CC only)

.44 Magnum when out in the woods and worried about bears (OC only)

.45 auto soon to come as a new OC rig, and perhaps a CC rig

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nepawolf wrote:
I'm quite fond of S&W M&P 45. 10 in the clip, polymer frame, picatinny rail, coated stainless slide (pretty sure the barrel is the same). I carry it in a blackhawk cqc holster, on a pistol belt if I'm ocing, straight on my regular belt usually if I'm ccing. comes with the paddle. Holster runs about 40 around me, 540 for the pistol. It's made to better quality than glocks, and it's ambidextrous. My buddy got one in 9, holds 17 in the clip with no extension and he's a lefty.

You mean "magazine", not clip.

CrossFire

imported post

jpierce wrote:
I fixed it but I have never heard of a thirty five caliber. Is that correct?

marrandy wrote:

When I took the course for my CHL the instructor asked everyone what caliber they brought, .32 is the smallest you can qualify with, and a lady said she had a .35. The instructor just laughed and said " sweety there is no such thing". It turned out to be a .25 and she had to rent a gun to continue the class. Do not know if she qualified or not but the instructor had a lot otrouble with her during range qualifing.

I carry an SA XD9SC myself.

nepawolf

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
nepawolf wrote:

You mean "magazine", not clip.
Absolutely right. I've gotten too used to talking to people who don't know the difference. My apologizes. A 10 round clip in a handgun would just suck.

opusd2

imported post

I like to carry my XD-40 for the most part, but when in bear country I tend to carry my Ruger 44mag as I like how it makes such big holes. But the higher capacity of the 40 is nice, and it is accurate. One is just a much bigger beast than the other. Plus I have to admit that I love the look of a nickel Super Blackhawk in a leather holster hanging by my side.

neddis

imported post

XD-45 4" service model - hands down.

I am sure that people will disagree with me though.

Things I like:

four separate safeties and only one that I have to consciously disengage (I have the thumb safety model)
fits my hand PERFECTLY
puts big holes in stuff
durability
reliability
light weight
13+1 capacity
fairly accurate
manageable recoil

Things I don't like:
can't think of any