• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Friendly Lawyer

olypendrew

imported post

My name is J. Andrew "Drew" Lauer, and I have recently started my own law office in Port Angeles, where I moved to a few months ago due to my wife's job. Prior to that, I was a Senior Trial Deputy District Attorney in Grand Junction, Colorado, prosecuting upper-level felonies like sexual assaults, robberies, burglaries, and major drug dealing.

I have been shooting guns since I was six years old, and I was raised a hunter. When I was seventeen, my parents signed paperwork that allowed me to enlist in the USMC Reserves, where I was trained as an 0311, Infantry Rifleman, and discharged honorably after my 8 years of active/inactive service was completed. I am a life member of the NRA, and a certified instructor in home firearm safety, basic pistol, and personal protection in the home. I've been carrying a gun every day of my life since 2000, mostly concealed as that was the policy of my prior employer, but openly more and more as I am inspired by you all, and since I'm now self-employed. I'm a lifelong libertarian. Although I am relatively new to this board, I'm a longtime member of various gun boards, but I am most active at The High Road as justice4all.

I see frequent questions about gun friendly lawyers on this and other sites, and I wanted to let everyone know where they can find one of us. I'm open for business if anyone has a need for legal services. At this point, since it's what I know best, I am primarily accepting criminal defense cases. So I hope that no one hear needs my services in that regard. But if anyone wants to discuss any other matters, particularly matters involving gun rights, I would be happy to set up an appointment with you.

My contact information, as well as some decent hunting and fishing pictures,can be found on my website, which is a work in progress.

http://www.j-andrew-lauer.com

Finally, thanks to all of you who are advancing the cause of gun rights by showing the world that a man (or woman) with a gun is just an ordinary American, not someone to be afraid of.

tricityguy

imported post

Nice to meet you - Hope I never need your services, but good to know you are here, just in case.

amlevin

imported post

Welcome aboard. Good to know that one can call on you should the need arise.

What would be really neat is for you and others of your profession, that really understand the law as it pertains to Self Defense with handguns, could form a Statewide Network. This would allow anyone who has an immediate need for counsel to call ONE number. From there the closest attorney would be able to provide that all important immediate advice.

All too often one might find themselves in a situation that requires special knowlege and the only number they know is the attorney that handled their divorce, real estate purchase, or will.

Again, welcome. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I returned to WA recently after living 10 years in Parker, CO. How come your side of the mountains got all the water?

kparker

imported post

What would be really neat is for you and others of your profession, that really understand the law as it pertains to Self Defense with handguns, could form a Statewide Network.

You mean like these guys?

IIRC Marty Hayes (who runs Firearms Academy of Seattle, and occasionally posts here) is one of the founders

amlevin

imported post

kparker wrote:
What would be really neat is for you and others of your profession, that really understand the law as it pertains to Self Defense with handguns, could form a Statewide Network.

IIRC Marty Hayes (who runs Firearms Academy of Seattle, and occasionally posts here) is one of the founders

No, I wasn't referring to "these guys". It appears that this is more like a Prepaid Legal organization. Pay up front (membership if you wish) and then get basic legal advice when you call.

I would like to see a "No Membership" referral service, open to all, and strictly a "pay as you go" program.

As I see it, there would be a toll free number that you would call when you needed a gun savy lawyer. You would be given a referral to a lawyer closest to you to handle your police encounter. This lawyer may or may not refer you on to a lawyer with more specialized needs. You would be billed just like any legal services. The big benefit would be the ability to get that immediate assistance when you may not be thinking totally clear. The problem, as I see it, with any prepaid service is that you can only use a small group of attorneys and you are limited to their expertise.

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
kparker wrote:

No, I wasn't referring to "these guys". It appears that this is more like a Prepaid Legal organization. Pay up front (membership if you wish) and then get basic legal advice when you call.

I would like to see a "No Membership" referral service, open to all, and strictly a "pay as you go" program.

As I see it, there would be a toll free number that you would call when you needed a gun savy lawyer. You would be given a referral to a lawyer closest to you to handle your police encounter. This lawyer may or may not refer you on to a lawyer with more specialized needs. You would be billed just like any legal services. The big benefit would be the ability to get that immediate assistance when you may not be thinking totally clear. The problem, as I see it, with any prepaid service is that you can only use a small group of attorneys and you are limited to their expertise.
That and the guys at the link require you to send them a photocopy of your CPL to sign up with them. That is about stupid in my opinion. They are basically saying that if you only keep a pistol to protect your home that they are not willing to offer their services. I am sorry but my CPL gets copied for no one.

I think amlevin has the right idea. Most attorneys will give a free consultation anyway.

jchen012

imported post

Welcome to the board! It is rare to see someone who has law enforcement experience to be pro-gun.

Anyhow, a little off topic, but are things still messed up over at The High Road? Last I heard, the board split up and apparently there is a lawsuit.

olypendrew

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
Welcome to the board! It is rare to see someone who has law enforcement experience to be pro-gun.

Anyhow, a little off topic, but are things still messed up over at The High Road? Last I heard, the board split up and apparently there is a lawsuit.
Actually, in Western Colorado almost all LEOs that I met were in favor of law-abiding citizens being armed. I hope that things are the same on the North Olympic Peninsula, and that the officers we read about here are a minority. I think what usually happens is that the rank and file follow the lead of their higher ups when it comes to their opinions on guns, unless they entered the force with strong feelings one way or the other. And in Western Colorado, you cannot be elected DA or Sheriff if you aren't pro law-abiding gun owner.

Marty Hayes

imported post

amlevin wrote:
kparker wrote:

No, you are way off base. The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC. is a member association, with those members choosing to voluntarily associate with each other for one common purpose. That being to better enable themselves to fight an unmeritorious prosecution, or civil lawsuit regarding use of deadly force.

We are not an attorney referral service, nor do we offer legal services. Our membership fees, (currently $85 per year) does several things. First, one gets a 3-set of DVD's which cover indepth, the legalities of using deadly force in self-defense, how to handle the immediate aftermath of a self-defense shooting, and understanding the courts/legal system if you are arrested or sued.

Another membership benefit is a discount off of training offered by Network Affiliated Instructors. While that doesn't apply to many people here, there are lots of folks who do take training, and they can save a bundle, (more than the cost of the membership).

A third benefit of membership is a healthy discount off many of the best self-defense books and DVD's available. Again, to allow our members to better educate themselves.

And lastly, the fourth benefit of membership is access to our Legal Defense Fund, where to put a portion of the membership dues, to aid and assist members in their legal costs if they are wrongfully prosecuted or sued civilly.

As far as requiring a CPL to be a member, it is no different than an insurance company requiring a drivers license before they issue an insurance policy. We want people who join the Network to be lawfully armed citizens, not criminal who may carry or possess firearms illegally. While the CPL is the most logical form of proof of a free criminal background, we will accept any reasonable documentation that a person is free from criminal conviction. We know that requiring this extra hoop to jump through may limit membership somewhat, but that is a decisions the founders made to help insure a clean organization. Frankly, I lobbied against the requirement, but was outvoted.

Anyway, I don't want to be confrontational here, but the record needs to be set straight. Carry on folks.

Marty Hayes, President

The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

spike89

imported post

Marty Hayes wrote:
So Drew,  what we really want to know, is did you get your elk?

Living in Port Angeles, all he has to do is wait in his back yard for a while. In nearby Sequim, I hear they have to put up huge fences just to keep the herds of the buggers OUT of folks hair.

just_a_car

imported post

spike89 wrote:
Marty Hayes wrote:
So Drew, what we really want to know, is did you get your elk?

Living in Port Angeles, all he has to do is wait in his back yard for a while. In nearby Sequim, I hear they have to put up huge fences just to keep the herds of the buggers OUT of folks hair.
Jeez, I really need to get my Hunter's Ed. and an Elk tag if that's the case!!! :shock:

olypendrew

imported post

Marty Hayes wrote:
So Drew, what we really want to know, is did you get your elk?
Unfortunately, I didn't move to WA in time to be a resident for hunting purposes, nor do I know anyone with whom to go hunting. For these, and various other reasons, like starting a law practice, my wife's new job keeping her very busy, the kid adjusting to preschool, etc, I did not elk hunt this year. Next year, for sure. That will still be "soon" in my eyes. I am leaving for Pennsylvania, though, for my yearly trip to the old family farm to hunt whitetail with my dad, brother, uncle, cousin, and several friends.

Marty Hayes

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Marty Hayes wrote:
Anyway, I don't want to be confrontational here, but the record needs to be set straight. Carry on folks.

Marty Hayes, President

The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding on the "Legal Services" aspect of your organization.

Hey, no prob. The bottom line is, we are what we are. I just want to make sure that people are clear as to what they are joining, when the join the Network.

Marty

olypendrew

imported post

I wanted to let you all know that I am leaving the private practice of law to accept a deputy prosecuting attorney position here in Clallam County. Therefore, I will not be able to accept private clients.