• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KSL News Story

CCarry

imported post

A Utah Highway Patrol trooper and a police officer both were busy working the same section of I-15 Sunday night. But as it turned out, only one of the men was a real law enforcement officer.

It was the sharp-eyed trooper who noticed something wasn't right with a pickup truck pulled over near another vehicle on I-15 Sunday night. Then he noticed something odd.
From the trooper's dashcam video you can hear him say, "I'm at this traffic stop, and he's got red and yellow lights in his truck.
Trooper Cameron Roden, spokesman for the Utah Highway Patrol, says, "Cars can't have red lights to the front like a police officer, so he initiated the traffic stop and made contact with the driver."

That driver, 20-year-old Cooper Deters, was dressed in police-type clothing and combat boots. As troopers searched his truck, they found more evidence, things normal drivers wouldn't carry: a notepad filled with license plate and police dispatch numbers, flex-cuffs and guns.
"He's got a loaded up AK 47 ready to rock and roll in there, an emergency service jacket that you'd throw on to make you look like you're someone official," a trooper says on the video.
Deters was arrested and charged with impersonating an officer, as well as making a non-emergency stop on the freeway.
Right now, investigators say there's no indication he had anything malicious planned.

Trooper Cameron Roden
"He stated that he knew we were busy and he was going to come out and help and volunteer where he could," Roden said.
Investigators don't know if Deters actually pulled anyone over. Deters told them he'd stopped to help the driver of the vehicle he was originally pulled over next to.
UHP troopers haven't been able to talk to that driver. They ask if you have any information, give them a call at (801) 887-3800.
They also want the public to know that if something ever feels off during a traffic stop, you can always call dispatch. Here along the Wasatch Front, it's as simple as dialing *11 on your cell phone.
E-mail: sdallof@ksl.com
E-mail: bbruce@ksl.com

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4767078

Anyone from here missing? j/k:lol: What the hell is this guy thinking??

Edit - Updated news story it provides more details now.

scorpioajr

imported post

I don't get it..was this guy OCing at the time?? Or are you trying to vaguely insinuate that we would react to the story by taking the side of the impersonator b/c we are a bunch of backwards thinking rednecks too?

Relevance?

CCarry

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
I don't get it..was this guy OCing at the time?? Or are you trying to vaguely insinuate that we would react to the story by taking the side of the impersonator b/c we are a bunch of backwards thinking rednecks too?

Relevance?

Well the story says the guy is 20 years old so he is not old enough to have a CFP and they found weapons inside the vehicle along with string cuffs etc. They only way he could carry legally would be to OC. (the story doesn't say he was). I was not trying to insinuate anything and I would hope/expect that nobody here would defend this guy he is totally in the wrong.

Relevance?

So it is ok for a guy to sellvery similar stuff on here but if I post a story about the misuse of it I am in the wrong?Please clarify for me who can post what!!

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Post what you want, people are free to discuss what you've posted... That goes the same for people selling stuff on here, they can post it, and people can discuss it.

It's up to the owners of the site to determine if something needs to be removed.

ScottyT

imported post

Did the guy even have a gun? It just says that they found "weapons". Seems like the media would go out of its way to mention whether or not he had a firearm. My guess is a knife, maybe a ninja sword or nunchucks, given the actions of the guy.

What an idiot.

Walther

imported post

The news said he had an AR15 and the video showed an officer carrying one from the truck back towards his police car.

Yeah, the guy was a bone head.

Oh, and I think that the post is ok for this forum.

ScottyT

imported post

Walther wrote:
The news said he had an AR15 and the video showed an officer carrying one from the truck back towards his police car.

My bad. It looked like the full story was in the OP.

Walther

imported post

The one I watched said AR15 this one the cop is saying and AK47. So the story might change.

glock10mm

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Relevance?
Man, you do have a complex...Not everything people post is a hit at you...Jesus.

CCarry

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Walther wrote:

My bad. It looked like the full story was in the OP.
It was the full story when I originally postedit. I have updated the story because there are more details out now.

CCarry

imported post

glock10mm wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Relevance?
Man, you do have a complex...Not everything people post is a hit at you...Jesus.

Thank you

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Unfortunately, YOU HAVE IMMUNITY, from me responding to you...
I thought I had immunity from 9mm, I guess not. :banghead:

glock10mm

imported post

CCarry wrote:

Thank you

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Unfortunately, YOU HAVE IMMUNITY, from me responding to you...
I thought I had immunity from 9mm, I guess not. :banghead:
Your welcome, and thanks for that post...I missed it on the news...LOL immunity, I seem to remember that.

scorpioajr

imported post

Ooooookay, wow:

Two things:

1) The original unedited post, that was up and un-replied to for over an hour to two, did NOT reflect any firearm. Only a reference to "Weapons". Not even "Dangerous Weapons", just "Weapons". SO, my request for relevance , in my view, was valid. OBVIOUSLY I can see relevance on my own NOW that you have edited the original Post to ensure the definition of "Weapon" is now the equivalent to either and AK-47 or an AR-15. That can be verified by my post at Tue Nov 11th, 2008 05:42 pm and your OP at Tue Nov 11th, 2008 03:45 pm, against the edited post of Wed Nov 12th, 2008 10:34! Nice...

2) Help me out here: How in the heck do you manage to conceal a rifle? My AR is blacker than night, but you can't miss it. Does it HAVE to be in the rear window to constitute 'in the open', the back seat don't count?

ainokea

imported post

CCarry wrote:
"He's got a loaded up AK 47 ready to rock and roll in there...
Unless I am mistaken isn't it illegal to have a loaded firearm in you vehicle without a CFP? So, shouldn't he also be charged with a weapons violation?

ScottyT

imported post

ainokea wrote:
CCarry wrote:
Unless I am mistaken isn't it illegal to have a loaded firearm in you vehicle without a CFP? So, shouldn't he also be charged with a weapons violation?
If it has an empty chamber and is in plain view, he is legal.

ainokea

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
ainokea wrote:
CCarry wrote:
I knew that but the artical says it was loaded. Unless the LEO was just meaning that there was a loaded mag in it and nothing chambered. From reading the article I got the impression that it was Utah Loaded.

scorpioajr

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
ainokea wrote:
CCarry wrote:
Thats how i figured it. Laid on the rear seat or racked in the rear window, your good to go.

b1ack5mith

imported post

IM MISSING! maybeh i got kidnapped ;)

lmfao! naw, im just missing my old converse, where the hell did those things go?!

the converse trolls took em!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

ainokea wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
ainokea wrote:
CCarry wrote:
I knew that but the artical says it was loaded. Unless the LEO was just meaning that there was a loaded mag in it and nothing chambered. From reading the article I got the impression that it was Utah Loaded.
Just because the LEO was quoted assaying that it was loaded up and ready to go does not mean the rifle was NOT Utah UNLOADED.