Thread: TV interview today

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I was fortunate enough today to participate in a TV interview at Bob Moates Sports Shop on Hull St.

They interviewed store employees about recent gun sales and then asked me a few questions about concealed caryy permits. I made sure to throw a jab in about our President-elect and his desire to ban concealed carry.

The station was News 7, WDBJ out of Roanoke and this was their Richmond field reporter. She said that it would be on the Roanoke news tonight but a streaming video would also be available on their website, www.wdbj7.com after 7pm.

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I was fortunate enough today to participate in a TV interview at Bob Moates Sports Shop on Hull St.

They interviewed store employees about recent gun sales and then asked me a few questions about concealed caryy permits. I made sure to throw a jab in about our President-elect and his desire to ban concealed carry.

The station was News 7, WDBJ out of Roanoke and this was their Richmond field reporter. She said that it would be on the Roanoke news tonight but a streaming video would also be available on their website, http://www.wdbj7.com after 7pm.

Jim
    I just read the news item and saw several glaring errors. The term "assault rifle" was used a few times and I would bet $100 that it was not an assault rifle at all but rather a semi-automatic rifle. Assault rifles are class 3 firearms and you just ain't gonna find them for sale at your corner gun store.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I just read it too. There's always some artistic license taken by someone at the studio with these kinds of things. The reporter and cameraman were very decent about the story. I expect someone sitting in the station to say the usual buzz words.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

I just watched the video and I'm not even in it. Oh well, so much for fame and fortune!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Centurion

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I just watched the video and I'm not even in it. Oh well, so much for fame and fortune!
    They called me this afternoon about doing an interview, but I had a meeting that didn't wrap up until 2:45. By then they had a different priority I was told.

Funny thing those interviews - they interview you for 20 minutes and you are lucky if you get 20 seconds of air time.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    They called me this afternoon about doing an interview, but I had a meeting that didn't wrap up until 2:45. By then they had a different priority I was told.

Funny thing those interviews - they interview you for 20 minutes and you are lucky if you get 20 seconds of air time.
    They seemed very interested in the training aspect of CHP's and reasons why people are getting permits.....guess I ended up on the cutting room floor.

ps - thanks for the VCDL brochures Phil. I'll put them in our student manuals and hopefully the VCDL can get a few new members out of it.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Argggg.... the way they toss around the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" makes me cringe.

The only lasting effect of the AWB seems to be changing the definition of assault weapon in the popular lexicon.

Post imported post

Why do I suspect that Perry DeMayis not just a "card-carrying NRA member"?

Post imported post

essayons wrote:
    Argggg.... the way they toss around the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" makes me cringe.

The only lasting effect of the AWB seems to be changing the definition of assault weapon in the popular lexicon.

Yep. But what really gets me is that many gun people use these terms when they are talking about semi-auto rifles. This only prove that they have fallen into the trap set by the anti's in 1989 (thanks to Josh Sugarman) to use such visceral terms to describe semi-autos that look like their full auto counterparts. We are suppose to know better.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Why do I suspect that Perry DeMayis not just a "card-carrying NRA member"?
    Google him and see just who he is.....
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Google him and see just who he is.
    No. See his public persona. Maybe he is just a shopkeeper, too, and not an intellectual giant.

Post imported post

Terms like"assault rifle"really seemed to take off when the manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of firearms embraced themoniker, andstarted using it in their ads back in the late '80s.(Sorry, this started out as a "quote" post, looks like I backspaced more than I wanted to...)

Post imported post

Yeah, I saw a story on the increase in gun sales a few nights ago that featured PVC and David(?) Baugh on WTVR channel 6, and they had PVC and Baugh'snames andtitles reversed, so that it appeared as though Baugh was president of VCDL and vice versa, but we really know who's who, right? Why can't they get it right?

Journalistic/artistic license? From my experience, that means"to embellish ignorance with thetone of authority".

Post imported post

if you really want a good read, check out some of the comments in reference to the news article. apparently we're "pathetic."

Post imported post

Since we know BHO doesn't like concealed carry permits, and since we know he wants to "spread the wealth around":

I have a theory.

Reid, Peolosi, and BHO, won't go after "banning" concealed carry nationwide, but instead might offer states "incentives" (millions of dollars) to eliminate the permits.

Want the money? Play by the rules. If there were millions available to a state at the modest expense of making a few thousand CC permit holders angry, who do you think wins? It aint us.

And the administration or congress didn't "ban" anything, they didn't take it away, they didn't make it illegal, your state government did. They'll have plenty of money to support this cause they're only going to increase taxes on those making more than $250k.. ah, $200k, ah,,$150k,....

Thoughts?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

essayons wrote:
    Her response:

In a message dated 11/12/2008 10:51:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jwishon@wdbj7.com writes:

Hello Ed,

I was told that particular gun fits the requirements of "assault rifle" under the Code of Virginia.

Thanks for writing and watching News 7. Every time I do a story involving guns I learn something new!

I'll also forward your message to our web producer to see if she canpost the weblink you sent with the story.

Best Regards,

Jennifer

Jennifer Wishon
    Richmond Bureau Chief
    O: 804-643-3636
    M:804-513-3155
    F: 804-780-3157
    http://www.wdbj7.com

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

So Ed, where can I find the Richmond TV channels in Sterling?

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    Since we know BHO doesn't like concealed carry permits,┬* and since we know he wants to "spread the wealth around":

I have a theory.

...SNIP...

Thoughts?
    Delete your post and don't give them any ideas. :P

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    I was told that particular gun fits the requirements of "assault rifle" under the Code of Virginia.
    Is this lady joking? She was "told" something and then failed to do the research and verify what she was "told"? Go to the Virginia code site, search for "assault rifle". No results huh? Search for "rifle", no mention of "assault rifle"in those resultseither.

This reporter is either lazy or biased. Ed, you should ask her to back up this "assault rifle" definition factoid with a link to the appropriate code. When she cannot find it, ask her if she always regurgitates everything she's sold by Brady representatives without verifying the source info.

I was once told I could become rich by helping a Nigerian prince who had frozen funds in a Swiss bank account...

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Is this lady joking? She was "told" something and then failed to do the research and verify what she was "told"? Go to the Virginia code site, search for "assault rifle". No results huh? Search for "rifle", no mention of "assault rifle"┬*in those results┬*either.

This reporter is either lazy or biased. Ed, you should ask her to back up this "assault rifle" definition factoid with a link to the appropriate code. When she cannot find it, ask her if she always regurgitates everything she's sold by Brady representatives without verifying the source info.
    ┬*
    I don't get it, are you mad because she said "assault rifle" vs "assault weapon" or "assault firearm"?

The code in virginia calls it a "Assault firearm"

┬ž 18.2-308.2:2

"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock."

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Is this lady joking? She was "told" something and then failed to do the research and verify what she was "told"? Go to the Virginia code site, search for "assault rifle". No results huh? Search for "rifle", no mention of "assault rifle"in those resultseither.

I don't get it, are you mad because she said "assault rifle" vs "assault weapon" or "assault firearm"?

The code in virginia calls it a "Assault firearm"

┬ž 18.2-308.2:2

"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock."
    Virginia's definition of an assault firearm is questionable and if it is to appy to an assault rifle, it is in clear error. We know that this paragraph was written by a person or people not entirely knowledgeable of firearms. We know it because of the phrase, "an explosion of a combustible material". Firearms do not make use of "an explosion of a combustible material". There is no explosion (at least you'd better hope not). The powder burns.. it does not explode. That simple text tells a lot about the writer(s) of this piece.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Virginia's definition of an assault firearm is questionable and if it is to appy to an assault rifle, it is in clear error.
    I agree that the definition is bad, however, you can't really be upset at a reporter for using a word as it is legally defined in Virginia code. You can't call them "lazy or biased" for using the legal definition. We can't expect reporters (and normal people) to change their word usage if that word usage is the legal definition in the law.