• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TV interview today

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I was fortunate enough today to participate in a TV interview at Bob Moates Sports Shop on Hull St.

They interviewed store employees about recent gun sales and then asked me a few questions about concealed caryy permits. I made sure to throw a jab in about our President-elect and his desire to ban concealed carry.

The station was News 7, WDBJ out of Roanoke and this was their Richmond field reporter. She said that it would be on the Roanoke news tonight but a streaming video would also be available on their website, www.wdbj7.com after 7pm.

Jim

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I was fortunate enough today to participate in a TV interview at Bob Moates Sports Shop on Hull St.

They interviewed store employees about recent gun sales and then asked me a few questions about concealed caryy permits. I made sure to throw a jab in about our President-elect and his desire to ban concealed carry.

The station was News 7, WDBJ out of Roanoke and this was their Richmond field reporter. She said that it would be on the Roanoke news tonight but a streaming video would also be available on their website, http://www.wdbj7.com after 7pm.

Jim
I just read the news item and saw several glaring errors. The term "assault rifle" was used a few times and I would bet $100 that it was not an assault rifle at all but rather a semi-automatic rifle. Assault rifles are class 3 firearms and you just ain't gonna find them for sale at your corner gun store.

ProShooter

imported post

I just read it too. There's always some artistic license taken by someone at the studio with these kinds of things. The reporter and cameraman were very decent about the story. I expect someone sitting in the station to say the usual buzz words.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I just watched the video and I'm not even in it. Oh well, so much for fame and fortune! :)
They called me this afternoon about doing an interview, but I had a meeting that didn't wrap up until 2:45. By then they had a different priority I was told.

Funny thing those interviews - they interview you for 20 minutes and you are lucky if you get 20 seconds of air time.

ProShooter

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I just watched the video and I'm not even in it. Oh well, so much for fame and fortune! :)
They called me this afternoon about doing an interview, but I had a meeting that didn't wrap up until 2:45. By then they had a different priority I was told.

Funny thing those interviews - they interview you for 20 minutes and you are lucky if you get 20 seconds of air time.

They seemed very interested in the training aspect of CHP's and reasons why people are getting permits.....guess I ended up on the cutting room floor.

ps - thanks for the VCDL brochures Phil. I'll put them in our student manuals and hopefully the VCDL can get a few new members out of it.

essayons

imported post

Argggg.... the way they toss around the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" makes me cringe.

The only lasting effect of the AWB seems to be changing the definition of assault weapon in the popular lexicon.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

essayons wrote:
Argggg.... the way they toss around the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" makes me cringe.

The only lasting effect of the AWB seems to be changing the definition of assault weapon in the popular lexicon.

:banghead:

Yep. But what really gets me is that many gun people use these terms when they are talking about semi-auto rifles. This only prove that they have fallen into the trap set by the anti's in 1989 (thanks to Josh Sugarman) to use such visceral terms to describe semi-autos that look like their full auto counterparts. We are suppose to know better.

Brian D.

imported post

Terms like"assault rifle"really seemed to take off when the manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of firearms embraced themoniker, andstarted using it in their ads back in the late '80s.(Sorry, this started out as a "quote" post, looks like I backspaced more than I wanted to...)

sidestreet

imported post

Yeah, I saw a story on the increase in gun sales a few nights ago that featured PVC and David(?) Baugh on WTVR channel 6, and they had PVC and Baugh'snames andtitles reversed, so that it appeared as though Baugh was president of VCDL and vice versa, but we really know who's who, right? Why can't they get it right?

Journalistic/artistic license? From my experience, that means"to embellish ignorance with thetone of authority".

doug23838

imported post

Since we know BHO doesn't like concealed carry permits, and since we know he wants to "spread the wealth around":

I have a theory.

Reid, Peolosi, and BHO, won't go after "banning" concealed carry nationwide, but instead might offer states "incentives" (millions of dollars) to eliminate the permits.

Want the money? Play by the rules. If there were millions available to a state at the modest expense of making a few thousand CC permit holders angry, who do you think wins? It aint us.

And the administration or congress didn't "ban" anything, they didn't take it away, they didn't make it illegal, your state government did. They'll have plenty of money to support this cause they're only going to increase taxes on those making more than $250k.. ah, $200k, ah,,$150k,....

Thoughts?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

essayons wrote:

Her response:

In a message dated 11/12/2008 10:51:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jwishon@wdbj7.com writes:

[align=left]Hello Ed,[/align]
[align=left]I was told that particular gun fits the requirements of "assault rifle" under the Code of Virginia.[/align]
[align=left]Thanks for writing and watching News 7. Every time I do a story involving guns I learn something new![/align]
[align=left]I'll also forward your message to our web producer to see if she canpost the weblink you sent with the story.[/align]
[align=left]Best Regards,[/align]
[align=left]Jennifer[/align]
[align=left]Jennifer Wishon
Richmond Bureau Chief
O: 804-643-3636
M:804-513-3155
F: 804-780-3157
http://www.wdbj7.com
[/align]

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Since we know BHO doesn't like concealed carry permits,  and since we know he wants to "spread the wealth around":

I have a theory.

...SNIP...

Thoughts?
Delete your post and don't give them any ideas. :p

IanB

imported post

ed wrote:
I was told that particular gun fits the requirements of "assault rifle" under the Code of Virginia.
Is this lady joking? She was "told" something and then failed to do the research and verify what she was "told"? Go to the Virginia code site, search for "assault rifle". No results huh? Search for "rifle", no mention of "assault rifle"in those resultseither.

This reporter is either lazy or biased. Ed, you should ask her to back up this "assault rifle" definition factoid with a link to the appropriate code. When she cannot find it, ask her if she always regurgitates everything she's sold by Brady representatives without verifying the source info.

I was once told I could become rich by helping a Nigerian prince who had frozen funds in a Swiss bank account...

mkl

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
ed wrote:
I was told that particular gun fits the requirements of "assault rifle" under the Code of Virginia.
Is this lady joking? She was "told" something and then failed to do the research and verify what she was "told"? Go to the Virginia code site, search for "assault rifle". No results huh? Search for "rifle", no mention of "assault rifle" in those results either.

This reporter is either lazy or biased. Ed, you should ask her to back up this "assault rifle" definition factoid with a link to the appropriate code. When she cannot find it, ask her if she always regurgitates everything she's sold by Brady representatives without verifying the source info.

I don't get it, are you mad because she said "assault rifle" vs "assault weapon" or "assault firearm"?

The code in virginia calls it a "Assault firearm"

§ 18.2-308.2:2

"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock."