• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purses/Handbags

me812

imported post

I've read elsewhere on the 'net that in Arizona a womans purse or handbag is considered "luggage" and therefore a gun can be concealed there without a permit. Does anyone know if this is true? TIA.

dclabounty

imported post

me812 wrote:
I've read elsewhere on the 'net that in Arizona a womans purse or handbag is considered "luggage" and therefore a gun can be concealed there without a permit. Does anyone know if this is true? TIA.

The statute doesn't provide a definition of "luggage" but I would think that would be pushing it. I believethe point of the law is to disallow people to carry a concealed weapon, that would be readily available for use,without a permit.

This is just my opinion. If someone can correct me or back me up with a cite please do so. I couldn't find anything specific on the ARS website.

like_the_roman

imported post

A purse/handbag, like a fanny pack (which was addressed as part of the Moerman case) would probably not be covered under "luggage."

Luggage implies suitcases and such - things to help you get your stuff from point A to pointB when traveling over a distance, not something to be carried around with you on a daily basis like a handbag.

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

what about a backpack?...just interested since i PT and i keep mine in my back pack since i have no belt and under armor just dosnt work for holding a pistol even my lil hsc lol

so what do you say is a back pack legal?

AZkopper

imported post

While, to my knowledge, there are no case laws or specific laws dealing with backpacks, you must look at the intent of the legislation and how the courts have viewed them.

I believe that purses, backpacks, and man-bags all fall in to the same catagory: personal storage devices carried upon the person for day-to-day use.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

People... 'concealed carry' is exactlly what it sez. You have it on you (somewhere.. in somethin or not) LOADED. What's the problem? AZ is a completely open carry state... GET A friggin' GUNBELT. You remember... 'cowboys wear 'em in the movies type gunbelts'? Wear it!All this other tap dancin' is silly. What ya 'fraid of... what the 'neighbors will say? They dunno nuthin' either. You noob towniesdrive me nuts with this stuff. Otherwise... jump thru the hoops 'n get a AZ CWP! It's not that difficult. Then you can carry it anywhere.

r6-rider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
People... 'concealed carry' is exactlly what it sez. You have it on you (somewhere.. in somethin or not) LOADED. What's the problem? AZ is a completely open carry state... GET A friggin' GUNBELT. You remember... 'cowboys wear 'em in the movies type gunbelts'? Wear it!All this other tap dancin' is silly. What ya 'fraid of... what the 'neighbors will say? They dunno nuthin' either. You noob towniesdrive me nuts with this stuff. Otherwise... jump thru the hoops 'n get a AZ CWP! It's not that difficult. Then you can carry it anywhere.
calm down man, its not always that simple. LcCpl actually asked exactly what i was about too, i also do PT with my pistol in my backpack since i find it extremely uncomfortable to have it on and run. and since i am not 21 i cant just go get a CCW

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
until Im 21 when im not PTing I do use a holster no problem there its just for PT times when a gun belt is not practical.....but then again I could pt in full combat gear Im sure the local popules will be fine with that .....

ps R6 thumbs up

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Was nuthin' in the OP 'bout 'PT'... it was purses 'n stuff. Get a shoulder holster for 'PT'. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

r6-rider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Was nuthin' in the OP 'bout 'PT'... it was purses 'n stuff. Get a shoulder holster for 'PT'. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!
haha i havent heard that since basic