• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does OCing make one a 'target of 1st choice/1st oppertunity'?

ghengis86

imported post

I brought this up when some of us meet at Cabela's recently.

The question: does carrying your firearm openly make you a more likely target of violence, should violence occur? (Not a question of deterring, but when deterring fails, does OC make you more vulnerable)

I agree that 99.99 (whatever small)% of the time, the gun on you hip will deter a criminal. but i'm not going to concern this argument with those that are deterred when they see a gun. but, let's say a hard criminal or former military person walks into a store or bank, with the intent to rob or do great bodily harm, does having your gun on your hip, in the open, make you a target of first choice? would it be better for you to be CCing?

i know, i know, that probablilities are extremely small, but nonetheless, what do you think? feel free to post you opinions, facts/studies (if there are any) or thoughts.

nothing is taboo, so post freely; this is purely a time to discuss, debate and sharpen our understanding of the pros and cons of OCing and CCing

Jubbie

imported post

My thoughts are most thieves are nervous while committing a crime. Theoretically if I were to rob a place I'd be nervous as hell and looking around quickly trying to look out for a uniform. If you are OC'ing and are relaxed, most people will not even pay attention to you, let alone look towards your waist. Recently a buddy brought a new g/f over to my house for dinner & a movie. She was nervous and apparently never noticed the gun on my hip. My buddy mentioned to her how nice it was she didn't make a deal out of my carrying (she's from Illinois), she replied it was because she didn't notice I was carrying.

If a robber is smart enough to look for firearms, they are probably smart enough to not even bothering to rob that place.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The average BG bandit is a coward. He's not gonna get into an armed confrontation if he can help it. He will shoot at police 'cause police will arrest him... 'n he don't want that. Joe Sixpack won't arrest him... Joe Sixpack will prob'ly justkill him.

He knows nuthin' about Joe Sixpack... but he will know that any 'limitations' imposed by police departments won't apply to Joe Sixpack. Joe Sixpack will prob'ly be a better shot than the average cop... and more prone to do that. Joe Sixpack might have a heavier cannon than 9mm/.38splas well.

Most people are so unobservant as to be oblivious of what's on yer hip... unless it's flashy 'n catches their attention. I'm not a believer in fancy guns... or rigs for that reason. I OC a 1911-A1 .45acp daily. I will not hesitate to use it if the situation requires.

ghengis86

imported post

Okay, found the Q&A article; The December 2008 issue of Combat Handguns, in the letters section (p.16) under "Blending in...". here is the question, followed by Walt Rauch's response.

""To the editors: I am confused by Mr. Rauch's artile in the June 2008 issue. Is he concerned that individuals who are carrying concealed may be identified by their dress and suffer some imagined harm? Does he have any data to show that indiciduals wearing Remington logo hats have more safety issues than a man wearing a Braves hat in Atlanta? Why does he say that, "blending in is survival camoflague"? Isn't it possible that clothing that screams "gun extremist" may deter a scumbag? I proudly wear JFOP shirts that force sheeple to think irrespective of whether I am going to a location where I may carry concealed. Am I being unsafe?

WALT RAUCH'S RESPONSE

IN regard to your comments pertaing to my column in the June 2008 issue, fear of harm is not the issue. Living in a "blue state" as I do, I've found that many folks here are discomfited, if not outright alarmed, in the presence of firearms. They also transfer these emotions to firearms images on clothing and gear. My comment about "blending in..."means that I prefer not to attract attention to myself and the fact that I have an interest in firearms (continued on pg. 92). As to any deterrent effet of "gun extremist" clothing, there might be some, but it also could provoke an unwanted altercation. I prefer not to be a "target of first choice." I would much rather decide the when and where of any unsavory encounter. Conditions may be quite different in you locale, but I have to give what I feel is the best advice for gun owners is to be low-key in their dress and actions. In answer to your question about my having any data to support the advice given (other than my lifetime of experience), the answer is no. To the question of are you being unsafe, I would have to say "yes." (Emphasis mine)""

so that's where i got the idea to post here.I would guess that MR. Rauch's opinion of open carry would be the same; "unsafe".

nepawolf

imported post

I usually wear black shirts and black jeans, so my black pistol doesn't stick out. However, depending on how you look, how you're dressed, and how you present yourself, most people just assume you're a cop. When I OC in public, no one seems to care or notice (not so sure which), but I do live in Pa, where we "cling to our guns and religion."