• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not many gun related forums have a "Firearms for sale" section

VaGunTrader

imported post

Just from the half-dozen or so gun related forums I browse only one has a section dedicated for its members to sell/buy/trade firearms and accessories.....wonder why?

Liability issue?

The newpapers allow guns in the classifieds.

As well as the Trading Post papers.

I know there areGunsAmerica and GunBrokers websites but those are not forums, justsites for selling guns.

......I was just wondering

nova

imported post

All the forums I actively post on (except this one of course) has sections for buying/selling/trading guns and accessories, including GlockTalk, TheFiringLine, TheHighRoad, ARFCOM, etc.

I assume this one doesn't have a section like that because this place is focused on open carry and gun rights, not guns in general. I have no problem with it.

TFred

imported post

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ has one as well.

Also, be sure to note that The High Road is currently in the middle of a domain name ownership court case. A new web site has been set up at http://www.thehighroad.us/ until such a time that the dispute is resolved. I don't know all the details, but the claim is made that the person currently in control of the original site is not the rightful owner.

TFred

AbNo

imported post

Well, I suppose you could try the General/Off Topic forum, or perhaps even a state specific forum.

Can we get an opinion from the mod-gods?

ScottNH

imported post

trx680 wrote:
Just from the half-dozen or so gun related forums I browse only one has a section dedicated for its members to sell/buy/trade firearms and accessories.....wonder why?

Liability issue?

The newpapers allow guns in the classifieds.

As well as the Trading Post papers.

I know there areGunsAmerica and GunBrokers websites but those are not forums, justsites for selling guns.

......I was just wondering

What gun forums do you frequent?

AR15.com has a thriving sales forum

...so does falfiles.com

...so does gunboards.com

...so does Norstheastshooters.com

...so does Sigforum.com

...so does Smith-wessonforum.com

...and Thehighroad.us

...and XDtalk.com

...and, well you get the idea. What "gun-related" forums do you frequent? I'm just curious.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The demise of PDO, packing.org, was its attempt to be 'all things to all people', thinking that somehow mere numbers lent credibility. I imagine that jpierce and majstoll struggle mightily to keep OpenCarry.org's forum focused on Open Carry advocacy and activism.

Even now with 12,174 members, 17,493 topics, 299,936 posts interests are divided.

Were I tyrant, even discussion of the thing, the hoplon would not be permitted but only advocacy and activism.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

trx680 wrote:
it might be to retain Google Ad revenue - google cuts off web sites if they purport to asist in firearms transfers - Google cut us off a few months ago because some folks just discussed some transfers of firearms - very dissapointing at John and I were just starting to offset the roughly $4,000 a year it costs us to web host this site:(

VaGunTrader

imported post

Mike wrote:
trx680 wrote:
it might be to retain Google Ad revenue - google cuts off web sites if they purport to asist in firearms transfers - Google cut us off a few months ago because some folks just discussed some transfers of firearms - very dissapointing at John and I were just starting to offset the roughly $4,000 a year it costs us to web host this site:(

Ever thought of offering advertising on the forum. Example, the Virginia section of the forum, you could have Virginia based gun stores run an ad with a link to their website. Do that for all 50 states... $100 a year times 50 states = $5k ... thats $1000 left over to buy ammo !!

How does the Google Ad thing work?

TFred

imported post

trx680 wrote:
Mike wrote:
trx680 wrote:

Ever thought of offering advertising on the forum. Example, the Virginia section of the forum, you could have Virginia based gun stores run an ad with a link to their website. Do that for all 50 states... $100 a year times 50 states = $5k ... thats $1000 left over to buy ammo !!

How does the Google Ad thing work?
Unfortunately, Google is one of the more liberal companies out there, despite their usefulness to the internet community.

I did read through their TOS, but didn't recall that they were so blatantly anti-gun as to refuse to make money from sites that relate to perfectly legal transactions. It tells you quite a bit when someone's anti-gun bias stands in their way of making money.

I wonder if publicity about this (their discrimination against perfectly legal activity) would make any difference?

The Google ad program is in two parts: AdSense and AdWords. Web sites wishing to host advertisements sign up for AdSense. Google provides you with code snippets to include on your web site, and once your site is crawled and the content is known, then content-appropriate advertisements are placed on your site in the places where you place the code snippets. For the most part, when visitors see the ads, and click on them, a small amount of income is added to your account. Most clicks are worth just a few cents, but some highly specialized ads can generate more. Once your account reaches $100, they issue payment.

AdWords is the program that the advertisers use. They sign up for key words that they want to target, and provide the ads to Google, along with a "bid" amount on what they are willing to pay for a click on the ad. Google then places these ads on sites that they have previously crawled, and are associated with the key words. You can also target ads for specific web sites. The payment for those is based on views, and tends to be very small, so unless you have a very high volume web site, you will probably do better with the click-through model.

They claim to place the ads with the highest bids on the pages with the appropriate key words, but obviously the intricate details are behind the scenes, and they don't talk about it.

TFred