• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you open carry in high visibility mode or stealth mode?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

squisher wrote:
...I would also like to try a paddle holster, which would help mitigate the need for a heavier belt.
It doesn't work like that. The belt is the foundation of your rig. Now, would you argue that a more modern house mitigates the need for a proper foundation?

Jizzzle

imported post

marshaul wrote:
squisher wrote:
...I would also like to try a paddle holster, which would help mitigate the need for a heavier belt.
It doesn't work like that. The belt is the foundation of your rig. Now, would you argue that a more modern house mitigates the need for a proper foundation?
marshaul, if the guy wants to not wear a gun belt and that works for him let him wear whatever belt he feels like... its not a big Fin deal.. you take stuff way to seriously. its like the fact that he's not gonna get a gun belt offends you on a personal level.. chill out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol, is that what it's like? I didn't even bring up the belt, I just gave it a +1. I really couldn't care less. So, the guy doesn't wear a belt? BFD

FogRider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
t doesn't work like that. The belt is the foundation of your rig. Now, would you argue that a more modern house mitigates the need for a proper foundation?
Apples and oranges. You can get away from belts with a paddle holster because it's doing part of the belt's job, that is it takes the weight of the gun and spreads it out over a larger area. You are not removing the foundation, you are using a different foundation.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, my experience is limited to my Serpa. And with the Serpa, the belt definitely makes a huge difference, paddle or no. I'd rather (and do) use a good belt and the belt loops than a flimsy belt and the paddle. The paddle might spread the weight out over your pants, but your pants are still supported by your belt.

FogRider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, my experience is limited to my Serpa. And with the Serpa, the belt definitely makes a huge difference, paddle or no. I'd rather (and do) use a good belt and the belt loops than a flimsy belt and the paddle. The paddle might spread the weight out over your pants, but your pants are still supported by your belt.
Well, sure. I personally wear a belt with my Serpa, but with some well fitting jeans it would work on its own,

Jizzzle

imported post

i use just a regular plainold whatever belt with my paddle holster. it's super sturdy and secure. it's super comfy too, in the car or sitting or standing it doesn't matter.

squisher

imported post

marshaul wrote:
squisher wrote:

Well, I would still wear a belt in general, as I do that everyday regardless, I was just thinking that a paddle will help with not needing a specifically "gun" belt, as it takes some of the load off (as others have pointed out). I don't even bother trying to carry like that when I have to wear my dress belt, it's just not even remotely wide enough -- and my everyday belt could stand to be wider. That's why I'm thinking paddle, plus then I don't have to take my belt off to "load up" when I get home (can't carry at work :( )

On topic: These months (Nov-Apr basically)I have been going "stealth" because it's been too cold to go with just short sleeves :)

open4years

imported post

hlh wrote:
I've noticed the same thing. When I wear my stainless 1911 people notice, but when I wear a black XD it's invisible. I wonder if 2 things make a black gun invisible; 1) hey, it's black and not shiny, and 2) It looks like what the LEOs carry so maybe they think I'm a cop.

That is my thinking too, or maybe they just don't notice. I was curious if some wish to be noticed as a statement of their right to carry openly. If so, it would be interesting to learn if they get comments like I have.

After many years of open carry, I prefer low-profile. I can get my shopping done and I don't attract security. What I can' figure out is why I don't get the kids pointing out that I have a gun. It must be that most people just don't notice and maybe the ones that do, think I'm a LEO.

open4years

open4years

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
I think it all comes down to your size, and what gun "Feels" good for you.

I prefere small black Compact pistals or small frame revolvers

Darn,they say that size doesn't matter and I believed them. :cry:

open4years

Alexcabbie

imported post

I open-carry in "Visible" mode IAW Virginia law. And when I started OCing regularly I noticed that the convenience-store bums suddenly stopped approaching me, even when I was unarmed. Not that I would shoot someone for panhandling, mind you; but I think that having the reputation of being armed marks you as a serious person who is not easily intimidated, and these folks do try to intimidate, for instance hanging around the trash cans where someone might have to go to throw something away or by asking as you go in and when bypassed saying "Oh, okay. Maybe when you come back out!" This is always said with a smile but the implied threat is still there. I think it is good to let the local riff-raff know that at least SOME of us can defend ourselves.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oddly enough I do NOT usually carry a weapon when operating my cab, for the following reasons:

(1) Many times I am called upon to transport people into DC, where (once I have crossed the high-tide mark of the Potomac) I would be liable for a felony arrest if discovered to be carrying a firearm. Ditto entering a military installation.

(2) Consider what happens in a taxicab robbery. A BG sitting behind you announces a robbery. He's got the "drop" on you. Our cabs are equipped with robbery alarms, but it would be dangerous to try and activate the alarm after the "hands up!" order had been given, let alone try and draw a weapon. The most likely result would be the BG getting hold of your firearm, and what is worse using it to kill you with.

When I am working I use my experience and instinct to decide whether or not to take on a passenger. The law says for instance that I MUST serve any ORDERLY person. I can develop a VERY STRICT definition of "orderly"that includes giving mme a straight answer to a few questions I put to a passenger, for example "Where are you going?" is met by "I'll show you. Just drive". THAT will be met by a polite but firm insistence on knowing the details of the trip, and of course if it is some grouchy old lady I'll just take her, but if my threat assesment is positive then they will go nowhere with me until I know exactly what is planned; and if they deviate from that my finger will be on the robbery alarm until they are out of the cab. And there are other security procedures I use but I don't want to reveal these for obvious reasons.

In any case the object of the excersise in carrying a firearm is the same as in having a fire extinguisher: NOT to have to use it. Capische?

open4years

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
i use just a regular plainold whatever belt with my paddle holster. it's super sturdy and secure. it's super comfy too, in the car or sitting or standing it doesn't matter.

I did the same, but I always liked larger width beltsso there wasn't a major problem to begin with. However, when I purchased a belt made to carry a gun, the weight was distributed better and my gun was always where it was supposed to be, with no need to adjust things.

So, there is something to be said for a true gun belt. You can also buy tapered gun belts that are narrow in the front, but wider everywhere else. I would think the use for this belt would be when you wear a coat or suit and you prefer the thinner belt trend..

open4years