• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you open carry in high visibility mode or stealth mode?

open4years

imported post

When I first began to open carry, I carried a black P14-45 (A Para-Ordinance .45, a big gun!) in a tan Bianchi holsteralong with a twin (tan) magazine carrier holding two black magazines. Everywhere I went, people noticed me and said such things as: "I didn't do it!!" Security was called on me several times, or kids said: "Mom,LOOK he has a GUN!"

Then I inherited several guns, buta Glock 17 got my attention; Not because I wanted a 9mm (I didn't) but rather its weight, or lack of, impressed me. I bought some Glocks and moved on to black Serpa holsters and a black belt. I carried extra magazines out of sight.

Everything changed! It was as if my gun was invisible. I don't know if it is because all black doesn't stand out or if it was because my "rig" looked copish. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to appear to be LE, but I prefer less attention andif they are going to think "Bad guy" or "Good guy," I prefer the latter.

Which carry mode do you prefer?

open4years

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My gun is certainly visible (a parkerized 1911 with stainless trim and white buffalo bone grips), so I certainly don't go "stealth", but at the same time people don't react as though it's particularly "high-visibility", either.

Why is everything coached in such mall-ninja terms with you, anyway? Stealth mode, high visibility mode? What happened to just carrying what you own, instead of constantly worrying about the "stealthyness" or lack thereof of your defensive tool?

Personally, I'd rather my gun had some small measure of "class" than be either "stealth" or "high visibility".

Jizzzle

imported post

Black and Olive Walther P99QA in a LH Fobus paddle. Um i guessit's not super stealthy. but then again, if i wanted stealth it would be concealed... Upgrading to a Glock 20 (10mm). Soon, even less stealthy..

open4years

imported post

marshaul wrote:
My gun is certainly visible (a parkerized 1911 with stainless trim and white buffalo bone grips), so I certainly don't go "stealth", but at the same time people don't react as though it's particularly "high-visibility", either.

Why is everything coached in such mall-ninja terms with you, anyway? Stealth mode, high visibility mode? What happened to just carrying what you own, instead of constantly worrying about the "stealthyness" or lack thereof of your defensive tool?

Personally, I'd rather my gun had some small measure of "class" than be either "stealth" or "high visibility".

If you have problems with the words that I use to express myself, thenI encourage you not to read or reply to my posts. Just as you are growing tired of my choice of words, I'm becoming tired of your belittling me. It speaks volumes in regards to the type of person that you are.

open4years

Jizzzle

imported post

jesus.. open4years, why even respond to these guys? just do you. you know? let them do them and you do you. it keeps it stress free.

oh and btw as far as stealthyness goes i don't carry extra mags on my person, just the gun with a 12 rounder in it and 1 in the hole. the other 2 mags are keptin the truck glove box.

1FASTC4

imported post

open4years wrote:
When I first began to open carry, I carried a black P14-45 (A Para-Ordinance .45, ahen I inherited several guns, buta Glock 17 got my attention; Not because I wanted a 9mm (I didn't) but rather its weight, or lack of, impressed me. I bought some Glocks and moved on to black Serpa holsters and a black belt. I carried extra magazines out of sight.

Everything changed! It was as if my gun was invisible. I don't know if it is because all black doesn't stand out or if it was because my "rig" looked copish. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to appear to be LE, but I prefer less attention andif they are going to think "Bad guy" or "Good guy," I prefer the latter.

open4years

I'm not sure which story is current, theabove one, or the one from last week when you said:
To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds!
Anyway, I believe in OC but also I believe in not being ostentacious. I carry a bitone service XD in .45 in a Serpa. The holster is all about function, no consideration was given for looks. It works great for me.

squisher

imported post

PT92
PT92
holster.jpg

Stainless, Full-framed in a DeSantis Yaqui Slide. Not so "stealthy."

Convenient, comfortable, but not stealthy at all :celebrate

No spare mags though, but if 17+1 doesn't do it, I bit off WAY more than I can chew.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

^Holy lack of retention batman! That doesn't even look like it would stay in there just walking around.

I prefer to carry "stealth mode" (which I also lol'd at). It's called concealed. If you're worried about being low-key and people not seeing your gun, why are you opening carrying?

squisher

imported post

It works surprisingly well actually, although I would like to try a pancake w/ thumb break at some point. Paddle instead of belt loop even.

I have no trouble walking around. Running is a bit iffy perhaps (tends to flop more than fall out).

You have to draw straight out as well, any angle and it doesn't come out smoothly.

Don't have to worry much about grabs, just let my arm hang down naturally and it's in contact, so if somebody wants to grab (even if I don't notice them coming) they have to grab around or through my arm. I think I'd notice then ;)

canadian

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
^Holy lack of retention batman! That doesn't even look like it would stay in there just walking around.
I had the same thought. I would be constantly worried about it falling out. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

open4years

imported post

marshaul wrote:
So, the fact that I find your choice of terminology amusing speaks volumes about my character, eh? If you say so.

By the way, "stealth" means: avoiding detection.

No, the fact that you feel the need to put down another is what speaks volumes about your character. The word "stealth" fits, but I did mean to add a bit of humour by using it. Congratulations, you got it! Maybe there is hope after all. :?

open4years

open4years

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
jesus.. open4years, why even respond to these guys? just do you. you know? let them do them and you do you. it keeps it stress free.

oh and btw as far as stealthyness goes i don't carry extra mags on my person, just the gun with a 12 rounder in it and 1 in the hole. the other 2 mags are keptin the truck glove box.

Good advice Jizzle.

open4years

open4years

imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
open4years wrote:
When I first began to open carry, I carried a black P14-45 (A Para-Ordinance .45, ahen I inherited several guns, buta Glock 17 got my attention; Not because I wanted a 9mm (I didn't) but rather its weight, or lack of, impressed me. I bought some Glocks and moved on to black Serpa holsters and a black belt. I carried extra magazines out of sight.

open4years

I'm not sure which story is current, theabove one, or the one from last week when you said:
To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds!
Anyway, I believe in OC but also I believe in not being ostentacious. I carry a bitone service XD in .45 in a Serpa. The holster is all about function, no consideration was given for looks. It works great for me.

I was referring to what I carried when I noticed the change occur. I do carry the Five-Seven now, but because it is black (I'm guessing that is the reason) I still get the same reaction, or lack of, that I did with the Glocks.

open4years

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
marshaul wrote:
So, the fact that I find your choice of terminology amusing speaks volumes about my character, eh? If you say so.

By the way,  "stealth" means:  avoiding detection. 

No, the fact that you feel the need to put down another is what speaks volumes about your character.  The word "stealth" fits, but I did mean to add a bit of humour by using it.  Congratulations, you got it!  Maybe there is hope after all.  :?

open4years
I'll just point out that this is the internet, so no need to take my remark seriously. I really don't see how you're so upset. I thought your thread was funny, big deal. And you know what? I still do.

KBCraig

imported post

squisher wrote:
I have no trouble walking around. Running is a bit iffy perhaps (tends to flop more than fall out).
You need a proper gun belt, instead of that thin and flimsy one.

It might seem crazy to spend $60 or more for a belt, until you actually try one that is designed to keep your holster and gun tucked in tight and secure. It's so much more comfortable (and comforting) that you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

And, you don't have to spend that much if you shop around. I got a very good thick double-layer belt at Cavendar's for about $25 on sale.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
squisher wrote:
I have no trouble walking around.  Running is a bit iffy perhaps (tends to flop more than fall out).

It might seem crazy to spend $60 or more for a belt, until you actually try one that is designed to keep your holster and gun tucked in tight and secure. It's so much more comfortable (and comforting) that you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

And, you don't have to spend that much if you shop around. I got a very good thick double-layer belt at Cavendar's for about $25 on sale.
+100

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/dress-belts.php

I have the "H" belt. The steel insert is nice because I carry a fullsize 1911 in a belt holster. :cool:

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Size matters. When I carried my FEG PA-63 barely anyone noticed. . . Now that I am carrying the XD40 Tactical in the SERPA I am noticed EVERYWHERE.

I don't care so much about stealth or obvious. I care more that I have a weapon that I can use to defend myself or my family. Activism is only a smaller part of my reason. If people notice GREAT! It gives me one more opportunity to educate them.

The only real problem I have had is that lately I am in such a hurry I don't get to take the time to educate them as much as I would like.

I will say though that I questioned my ability to be effective with the FEG, but between the performance of the XD 40 and the SERPA I am confident that not only can I draw quick enough, but that I will hit targets up to 100 yard with little effort. (Yeah! I took the XD to the range the day after picking it up and right out of the box was hitting the 100 yrd targets at Angeles. . . I couldn't hit them with my FEG on my best day.)

squisher

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
squisher wrote:

I agree with that actually, and have since that photo replaced my belt. Still not a gun belt, but a thicker one (and one that isn't 12 years old). I'll own a proper gun belt eventually, but I would also like to try a paddle holster, which would help mitigate the need for a heavier belt.