• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More Arrests of Good Guys and Girls in Illinois

SAK

imported post

I regret to inform everyone that there have been more arrests of law-abiding gun owners in Illinois the past two months.

One victim (a law-abiding GOOD GUY) is a handicapped man from Chicago. Chris Morley has cerebral palsy, walks with a cane, and has carried his unloaded pistol in a case for nearly a decade. He has used it to prevent at least 3 violent attacks. However, when he wasn't feeling well at work one day, his employer went through his personal belongings, found the pistol, and called the police. Morley is now being prosecuted as a criminal for owning and carrying a pistol ACCORDING TO ILLINOIS STATE LAW.

Another victim gun-owner shall remain nameless, but the young woman and Iraq war veteran was arrested on her way to a shooting range up in Wisconsin. She didn't quite make it over the border and she was pulled over, harassed, searched without cause, and then subsequently arrested for having an unloaded pistol in a case at the bottom of a bunch of junk in her rear storage area.

I get these calls on nearly a monthly basis. Calls, emails, and even one instant message. I'm so tired of hearing horror stories that I've decided to do something about it. Well, that and the fact that I have lived through horror stories myself and been persecuted for owning and carrying guns. Well, there's a way to put a stop to it.

The Gun Owners Fellowship is a nationwide initiative to protect gun owners by creating an effective network for fund raising. Members support one another if and only if the support is needed.

http://www.icarry.org/modules.php?name=Fellowship

LIFETIME Membership is only $29.99 right now (introductory price ends in less than 2 months). No additional fees or dues. You will never pay another dime unless someone else in the fellowship really truly needs it.

Through 12/31/08 when the $29.99 promotion ends, we will be donating $10 per membership to Chris Morley's defense fund. Chris Morley has been an active player in the gun rights movement in Illinois and he deserves the help as much as anyone else. Chris is a small guy, walks with a cane, can't run away or fight off an attacker and he deserves the right to have a way to protect himself. The fellowship is putting its money where its mouth is and lending him a hand in this tough time. Chris lost his job and has since been unable to find new work because of the arrest.

Please don't delay -- check it out, see how it works, and we know you'll like it. Join the group -- the larger the fellowship gets the more effective it becomes. Join today.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Shaun, I registered and scanned the site. As it is, I will not be participating with anonymous fellows. That, 'anonymous fellows' is oxymoronic as I understand the words.

It's a good idea but many pro-gun forums have already wandered off into shotgun-chic gallus snapping by another Anony Mouse.

SAK

imported post

Hey Doug,

Thanks for your response. I'm not very clear on what you mean by the website and "anonymous fellows." Most people who register at our site use nicknames, just like any other website (this one included). I personally use my initials on the forums but post with my real name when I write things on the site.

I would really like to know what you think though so if you could explain in a bit more detail for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Shaun

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Which of these things below can be known of an anonymous correspondent? Have you never played the Turing Game? What would you have 'fellow' mean?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fellow
fellow (plural fellows)
1. A companion; a comrade; an associate; a partner; a sharer.
2. A man without good breeding or worth; an ignoble or mean man.
3. An equal in power, rank, character, etc.
4. One of a pair, or of two things used together or suited to each other; a mate; the male.
5. A person; an individual.
6. In the English universities, a scholar who is appointed to a foundation called a fellowship, which gives a title to certain perquisites and privileges.
7. In an American college or university, a member of the corporation which manages its business interests; also, a graduate appointed to a fellowship, who receives the income of the foundation.
8. A member of a literary or scientific society; as, a Fellow of the Royal Society.
9. The most senior rank or title one can achieve on a technical career in certain companies (though some fellows also hold business titles such as vice president or chief technology officer). This is typically found in large corporations in research and development-intensive industries (IBM or Sun Microsystems in information technology, and Boston Scientific in Medical Devices for example). They appoint a small number of senior scientists and engineers as Fellows.
Noms de 'net allow one to posture and prate without risk of personal embarassment, to threaten assassination and to even commit character assassination without fear of retribution.

SAK

imported post

I hadn't thought of it like that :)

Members in the fellowship can be as anonymous (private) as they want. Some members will never post online nor will they even register as a "user" on the website. But they'll still be a member of the fellowship.

Other people will register with their real names, or post with their real names.

Some people will post anonymously with nicknames.

As for which of the definitions is best?

I'd have to say #1. A companion and a sharer. We are companions for one another and we share a burden should any one of us have the misfortune to encounter one.

SAK

imported post

That's a lesson I learned the hard way. Sometimes that's how lessons are learned though.

As far as my name goes, there's a small amount of disinformation on the net, but it's pretty easy to see through. When you look past that, you'll see that I have a good reputation not only in gun rightsbut even in the Browns fiasco -- I was just a microphone.