• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CC'er vacationing in SoCal

bane

imported post

Hi all!

I'm a CC'er from Utah and my wife and I are going to SoCal for about a week of vacation. We will be driving in. I am trying to find out how to pack my XD9-SC, legally, on vacation with me.

Now, I have read a good amount of the CA gun laws and I am well aware I can't use my UT CFP to CC in CA. I don't intend to pack my gun around town with me.

Here is what I intend to do:

1) Unload and pack my gun in it's case and lock the case.
2) Leave my 16rd. mags at home and only bring 10rd. mags.
3) Load the gun case in a bag (not a zippable suitcase, just a regular open bag) and place it in my trunk.
4) Pre-load my magazines and place them in another bag in my trunk.
5) Drive to our cabin in CA
6) Take the bags into the cabin. Unlock the gun case, load a mag into the gun, and store the gun out of sight in the cabin. We don't have kids. No one else has access to our cabin while we are staying there. We will be keeping it locked up at all times.
7) At the end of the vacation I will reverse the process and go home.

From what I have read, this is perfectly legal. Does anyone see anything I've missed???

What about keeping loaded magazines in my trunk -- I haven't seen anything saying I can't do that but someone else I know has expressed that some LEO's consider that a loaded weapon... any thoughts???

Thank You for Helping a Fellow 2A'er out!!!

camsoup

imported post

You dont have to keep the mags in a seperate bag. They can be with the gun if locked in the trunk. The mag would have to be attached to the weapon in a postion ready to fire for it to be considered loaded.

Decoligny

imported post

bane wrote:
Hi all!

I'm a CC'er from Utah and my wife and I are going to SoCal for about a week of vacation. We will be driving in. I am trying to find out how to pack my XD9-SC, legally, on vacation with me.

Now, I have read a good amount of the CA gun laws and I am well aware I can't use my UT CFP to CC in CA. I don't intend to pack my gun around town with me.

Here is what I intend to do:

1) Unload and pack my gun in it's case and lock the case. Perfectly Legal
2) Leave my 16rd. mags at home and only bring 10rd. mags. Perfectly Legal
3) Load the gun case in a bag (not a zippable suitcase, just a regular open bag) and place it in my trunk. Not required by law. Can just put the locked gun case in the trunk. Perfectly Legal. Or just put the locked case on the seat next to you, still perfectly legal.
4) Pre-load my magazines and place them in another bag in my trunk. Don't have to be seperate. Full magazines can even be stored in the locking gun case with the gun (if they fit) so long as the magazine isn't in the mag well.
5) Drive to our cabin in CA
6) Take the bags into the cabin. Unlock the gun case, load a mag into the gun, and store the gun out of sight in the cabin. We don't have kids. No one else has access to our cabin while we are staying there. We will be keeping it locked up at all times. Perfectly Legal
7) At the end of the vacation I will reverse the process and go home.

From what I have read, this is perfectly legal. Does anyone see anything I've missed???

What about keeping loaded magazines in my trunk -- I haven't seen anything saying I can't do that but someone else I know has expressed that some LEO's consider that a loaded weapon... any thoughts??? Those LEO's would be 100% wrong, unless they can prove in a court of law that you were intending to commit a felony.

Thank You for Helping a Fellow 2A'er out!!!
Updated to more accurately reflect the law.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

+1 to everything Decoligny said, with a notation about locking gun cases...

...Can just put the locked gun case in the trunk...

I think this is slightly misleading, as it makes it sound like you have to have the gun in a locking gun case to put it in the trunk. The trunk qualifies as a fully enclosing, locking case (assuming it is fully enclosed and has a lock). In fact, the only enclosures expressly disqualified from this exemption are the glove box and console of your vehicle. So if you want to put guns in these areas you would indeed need to put them in a locking case before concealing them there.

Also, there's no statute saying you can't simply have said locked case sitting on/under your seat.

Enjoy your stay in the beautiful, backwards state of California. If you happen to pass through Modesto, please make a pit stop so I can buy you a cup of coffee. Open carry optional.

bane

imported post

I very much appreciate your guys' replies -- Thanks!

I am a member of UtahConcealedCarry.com and have a thread there that I started on this issue. I cited your replies and linked to the thread here: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3888&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

(I realize you guys don't necessarily care to go read our stuff... I'm just doing this for future research by someone in a similar position in order to help the search engines cross-link and make a more meaningful 'hit')

CA_Libertarian: Thanks for the offer! We are going to be a LONG way from Modesto, down in SD county. :( I would def. have taken you up on it though had we been in the area. I love coffee and will even drive out of my way to get either a GOOD cup or a FREE cup... but Modesto is a *bit* far! :lol:

All the best to you guys... I hope someday you guys can get CA's gun laws turned around so my wife and I won't be so hesitant to move back! With my new AR, I'm not even sure if I'm ALLOWED to move back! :question::cry:

bane

imported post

cato wrote:
bane wrote:
With my new AR, I'm not even sure if I'm ALLOWED to move back! :question::cry:

What make and model? Put a "monsterman grip" on it with no "evil features" and bring it (and 10 rd mags only) along on the trip!

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Cato,

EXCELLLENT graphic -- thanks!

I'm not positive if I'm reading the chart correctly or not... but, from my reading, my AR would still be outlawed... please correct me if I'm wrong but it SEEMS that the rule cited on the back is saying "this here is yet ANOTHER definition of assault weapon..." -- in other words, I'm not sure whether that list can overrule the list of explicitly-stated firearms or not. If not, mine is on the list... Eagle Arms EA-15

:question:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

All rifles on the lists are considered 'assault weapons' in CA. Additionally, any rifle having certain features can be considered an 'assault weapon.' So if you have an Off List Lower (OLL) receiver (one not on the lists), you just have to be sure it doesn't have certain combinations of 'evil' features.

Your rifle is on the list. It would be unlawful to bring it to CA, unless you registered it as an 'assault weapon' before April 1, 1992.

bane

imported post

Huge bummer... right, so if I move back to CA then I will need to:
1) Remove and sell my lower; replace with one not on the list
2) Remove and sell any features not on the "evil features" list; replace with features that don't qualify as "evil"

Well at least it's good to know that if I did move back I could salvage MOST of my investment and still have a decent AR! Course, I still can't pack my 9 to work in CA... (cry)