• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD 45

suntzu

imported post

I am considering purchasing the XD 45 in the 4" model. Opinions as to this firearm? How does it shoot? Does it have a strong recoil? How accurate is it? In photos the grip seems a little long--I assume that is to accomodate the 13rd magazine? Is the long grip a problem?

I am trying to decide between the XD and the more traditional 1911 from Springfield in the Mil-Spec config.

opinions--good, bad and indifferent?

FogRider

imported post

I have both, and like both. The long grip is not a problem, what will be a bigger issue is the width, it has a double stack mag so it's wider than the 1911. If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to find one for rent at a range and put a few rounds through it. It really is a nice gun though.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I usually carry my XD45 compact service (4" barrel). The compact gives an option of either carrying with a standard 13rd mag or a ~3/4" shorter 10 rd mag. As I have to frequently conceal, this option is great for me.

As to the pistol itself, I like it. No real complaints about it beyond the normal gripe about the long pre-travel on the trigger, a matter I will solve with a drop in sear kit for about $85 when I get around to it.

Dustin

imported post

The Recoil is not snappy on the 1911 or the XD. it's a little less when shooting the MilSpec.

I like XD's and the XDM's b/c they weigh more than other Polymer Pistols.

Glocks and the likes or so light, you really have to struggle to get good quick accurate follow up shots. Maybe not struggle, but it doesrequire a little more strength.

I told this to a friend of mine who was shooting his G19. he promptly puffed up and said, I don't have to do anything extra to shoot my Glock.

Then we put a SIG in his hands, and he was like drool...drool.... After that an XD 45 4'' Service and more drool .... LOL !

Heavier weapons aren't really heavy at all, and their weight allows them to be and feelmore solid when fired.

Carrying one, might be an issue for some though ;)

This is why Glocks are popular too. They are dependable, durable, and light.

XD's just have better Quality as for as I'm concerned. Which is why my money goes with Springfield Everytime ! :cool:

dclabounty

imported post

I love my XD45. As far as the thick grips go,I have no problems and my hands are one the smaller side. I would still recomend going to a rangewhere you can rent different guns and tryout a few.

shad0wfax

imported post

I fired around 100 rounds in an XD 45 and I was impressed by the accuracy. I had zero stoppage and the firearm fit my hands nicely, despite being a double-stack system. I had no trouble operating the slide-release on the XD 45.

I've fired tens of thousands of rounds from M1911A1's while in the service and I fell in love with the 1911. I never got my hands on one of the 1911's manufactured by Sprinfield (the original SA, not the current SA; the two are different). I did have some troubleoperating the slide release on the 1911 when shooting one-handed.

Both the XD 45 and the 1911 are wonderful platforms for the .45 ACP round. I doubt many would be displeased with the performance of either. You get some advantages with the XD such as weight saving, higher capacity (which offsets the weight saving by adding ammunition weight), and less parts that can rust. You sacrifice a tiny bit of recoil control because most of the weight is on the top of the weapon (especially when few rounds are left in the magazine), whereas the 1911 is (typically)a steel frame, so the center of mass is lower in your hand.

Shoot both, pick which one you like the best!

opusd2

imported post

All excellent advice, and it also proves my opinion as well. I am a huge fan of the SA 1911 and own a couple, aside from some polishing after purchase they have been reliable and maintenance free. And the XD is a great platform, reliable as can be. I have never had any kind of problems with mine, and accuracy is incredible.

opusd2

imported post

And I guess the best advice of all is to just try any weapon out before purchase to truly know it's character and if it fits you. I usually just buy what feels right to me and then practice until I shoot well with whatever platform I buy into. It's not the best policy, but that worked for me. I just never was much for shooting with other people at ranges and would generally shoot on my own, that's why I never went that route. But considering what I feel for a couple of arms I own, I wish I would have tried them first.