• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

7.62x39

Jizzzle

imported post

Does anyone make a lever action in that caliber? I'm mostly just curious and I've been running around on the internetmostlyin circles trying to figure it out. It doesn't appear to exist. but, i'm probably looking in the wrong places.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Never seen one, and I would doubt anyone makes one. It would have to be a mag fed rather than tube fed, as there is no ammo in that caliber with a rounded tip bullet or the newer "soft polymer" tips made for certain lever actions.

thorvaldr

imported post

It seem unlikely that anyone would make a rifle like that. 7.62X39 can't tube feed and the ballistics are too similar to a 30-30. There wouldn't be a point, especially with SKS still going for around $200.

Walleye

imported post

The only one I can think of is the Winchester 1895, which was sold to the Russians in 7.62x54R. Designed by Browning, it had a box magazine instead of a tube magazine and the russian model could be loaded with 5 round clips.

Not quite 7.62x39, but pretty close.

Walleye

imported post

Hard to find in 7.62x54R, but you can find the US version in 30-06 relatively easily (although you'll still be paying 1100-1500 for those).

like_the_roman

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
It seem unlikely that anyone would make a rifle like that.  7.62X39 can't tube feed and the ballistics are too similar to a 30-30.  There wouldn't be a point, especially with SKS still going for around $200.

Fixed-mag Yugo SKS rifles are going for as much as $349-379 now. For the same price you can get a new Saiga that can be modified to accept AK mags.