• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No change of Venue in Ryan Frederick Case

Don Tabor

imported post

For those following the case, the Ryan Frederick case will be tried in Chesapeake unless a jury cannot be seated.

A number of other motions were also considered. I attended the hearing in order to report on it at TidewaterLiberty.com and noticed that Frederick and his attorney seemed a great deal more relaxed and confident than the prosecutors.

imported post

Armed wrote:
This guy shot through a closed door - yes?
I did a search and there is a lot of information on this forum about this case. In a nut shell what I found was;

Yes he shot through a door and killed a police officer serving a legally obtained search warrant.

There are some questions that have come up as to weather the police truly should have done this, but for me the key point is you have to know your target and what is behind it before you pull the trigger.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out

riverrat10k

imported post

Lots of data on this site. My opinion, questionable target. Mitigating circumstances? Possible police authorized burglary in the prior week. Will be an interesting case to say the least.

Armed

imported post

Wow. I looked up the previous posts on the story and read through them. Seems this young man may have mitigating circumstances, but I'm afraid he's still going to get nailed for shooting through a closed door with an unknown target.

I think we really need a "castle doctrine" in Virginia. If someone is trying to kick my door in at 2am, I think I have every right to assume they are not there to sell girl-scout cookies.

I also have to question the judgement of the local police to use a no-knock warrant tactic on a guy who is allegedly growing marijuana in his home. Very high-risk entry for a nominal criminal offense. Tragically, that got an officer killed. I think the local police should share in the culpability here.

They could easily have waited until he left his residence to gain entry and conduct the search. If they wanted him, they could have taken him as he was leaving the residence, or picked him up at work. This is absolutely stupid!

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Armed wrote:
Wow. I looked up the previous posts on the story and read through them. Seems this young man may have mitigating circumstances, but I'm afraid he's still going to get nailed for shooting through a closed door with an unknown target.

If this man had ended up shooting an actual home invader, we'd not be having this discussion about 'knowing your target'.

:banghead:

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Armed wrote:

If this man had ended up shooting an actual home invader, we'd not be having this discussion about 'knowing your target'.

:banghead:

Ah contraire....I would.

I still adhere to the basic rules I was taught so long ago in NRA gun safety class about not pulling the trigger until you know your target,

What if it had been a woman who was running from a rapist and she sought refuge in your house. The rapistwas behind her and she was trying her best to get in and you shot her through the door.

You can play "what if" all you want, but you have to have a reasonable expectation of danger before you fire.

Did he have that? I don't know I wasn't there, but what I have read gives me pause to question.

If we chose to use a gun, which is our right, we are responsible for what that bullet does.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

sailer

imported post

Armed wrote:
Seems this young man may have mitigating circumstances, but I'm afraid he's still going to get nailed for shooting through a closed door with an unknown target.

Not really.

He KNEW his target -- the assailant who had kicked in part of his front door and was climbing through it, in the middle of the night.

paramedic70002

imported post

What Ryan knew: Somebody was kicking his door in.

I don't care if it was a rapist or a rapee. Don't wanna get raped? Buy your own gun, don't bring trouble to MY house.

Try to kick my door in? That's called forcible burglary, a felony, and you probably don't have my best interests in mind, so if you get shot boo hoo.

Too bad it happened the way it did for Ryan, but I'm hoping for a quick NG verdict.

imported post

We each have a right to self defense, we each must chose when we feel that weare justified in exercising that right.

If we exercise that right and in doing so we shoot an innocent person, then we are responsible for that choice, in accordance with what a reasonable person would do in the same circumstance.

Was he justified for shooting when he did?

The Jury will decide, they will have more facts than we have.

2a4all

imported post

[size="+2"]Tuesday trial set for man accused of killing Chesapeake cop
icon_video.gif
[/size] [size="-1"]
06:15 PM EST on Monday, January 19, 2009
[/size] [size="-1"]By 13News[/size]

CHESAPEAKE – Ryan Frederick’s trial for the murder of a Chesapeake police officer is set to begin Tuesday.

Det. Jarrod Shivers was shot as he and other officers were serving a drug warrant at Frederick’s home on January 17, 2008. Documents indicate police believed Frederick had a “significant grow operation” in his home.

In previous court appearances, Frederick has admitted to firing twice, but he contends he didn’t know police were in his home. He says he thought there was an intruder because his home had been burglarized just two days earlier.

According to 13News’ partner at the Virginian Pilot, the two men accused of that burglary have been subpoenaed to testify, as well as five jail inmates who evidently had conversations with Frederick about the shooting.

A special prosecutor is handling the case. Paul Ebert of Prince William County cited Frederick’s age, lack of criminal record and the number of shots fired weighed in his decision to not seek the death penalty.

The judge in case has said that if a jury can't be seated, it could be moved to another locality.

Bubba Ron

imported post

2a4all wrote:
[size=+2]Tuesday trial set for man accused of killing Chesapeake cop
icon_video.gif
[/size] [size=-1]
06:15 PM EST on Monday, January 19, 2009
[/size] [size=-1]By 13News[/size]

CHESAPEAKE – Ryan Frederick’s trial for the murder of a Chesapeake police officer is set to begin Tuesday.

Det. Jarrod Shivers was shot as he and other officers were serving a drug warrant at Frederick’s home on January 17, 2008. Documents indicate police believed Frederick had a “significant grow operation” in his home.
Now it's back to "in his home" :question:eek:riginally it was "in his detached garage" :exclaim: but that information would make one question WHY the Chesapeake PD would do a "no knock" entry - especially when the "evidence" they were trying to protect was in a different building :exclaim:

paramedic70002

imported post

The Pilot is reporting that the ACA has characterized Frederick as shooting while in a rage. Contrast this with early reports of his having been woken to the sounds of forced entry. I think that the ACA is grandstanding and grasping at straws, and he's gonna go down bad.