• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hope to attend college in KY

PatriotWarrior

imported post

Hey y'all,

As you can see, I'm new on here, even though I have enjoyed reading posts on theforum for the past few months. I will be going to college within the next two years, and because I have read of KY's respect forcitizens' 2nd Amendmentrights, I hope to settle down in your great state. Would anyone be able to tell me of a college or university in KY that even barely respects my right to be armed (e.g., allows students to keep handguns in their personal vehicles while on campus)? (If it makes any difference, I will not be old enough for a concealed weapons permit for a few years after I start college.) I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me. Thanks, PatriotWarrior

Thoriz

imported post

University of Kentucky (in Lexington) has school regulations that prohibit any firearms.

tito887

imported post

no school as far as I know respect your right. If you want to go to a school that respects your right you'll need to go to utah

PatriotWarrior

imported post

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's just as well, seeing as I have pretty much decided to go to a college in AL, in large part due to finances. Maybe I will get up to KY after college. PatriotWarrior

v8shoguy

imported post

Firearms in vehicles are a protected right in KY. I am 100% sure you can carry on a K-12 campus in a vehicle as long as you don't brandish/exit the car. College should be the same even if campus carry is prohibited. Look it up in the KRS, IANAL.

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
Firearms in vehicles are a protected right in KY. I am 100% sure you can carry on a K-12 campus in a vehicle as long as you don't brandish/exit the car. College should be the same even if campus carry is prohibited. Look it up in the KRS, IANAL.
Believe you can only carry in your car on K-12 property if you are a legal guardian of someone in that school and again you live it in teh car.

cgrantjr

imported post

if you go to the top of this page it and click on the map icon and go to college maps it will tell you that ky is a carry not statutorily prohibited state. i think that means that with the schools permission you can carry but i wouldn't reccomend it. as long as it is in your car an no one knows that it is there you should be alright just keep it in your glove box.

PatriotWarrior

imported post

State law wasn't my primary concern here (not that I would have carried if the law prohibited it). Am I right that, generally, to gain admission to auniversity one must sign a statement agreeing to abide by all rules and regulations? I couldn't conscientously do thatwhile planning to break one of those aforementionedrules.

I wish there was a way to convincethe administration ofthe college I plan on attending this fallto allow all lawful carry, but the anti-rights mentality is so heavily ingrainedin most people today that thereappears little hope.Doesn't it seem hypocriticalfor an institution of higher learning to state that it is "Committed to the preservation and perpetuation of the principles of...individual freedom", and yetban the exercise of one of the most essential of our liberties? Thanks, PatriotWarrior

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

Yes, most colleges have you sign a paper saying you have recieved and will abide by the rules of teh student handbook, which usually conatains the rule about firearms.

Side story...Had a buddy in college (now deceased due to his own non-gun related stupidity) who had a .50AE Desert Eagle in his dorm room hich is against both school and housing rules. The RA found it and they were gonna kick him out of school until a friend and I went to bat for him. We simply explained that yes, he should be removed from on campus housing for breaking rules, but to be expelled was rather harsh given his legal age to own and carry a handgun, his experience with firearms safety (concealed carry classes, and military), and his incredible record at school (4.0 GPA). They managed to allow him to remain in school, but he was banned from all on school housing. This all occured in the state of FL, which has identical Laws to UK, but was at a very conservative school (i.e. not a lot of hippies at a school known for engineering)

superdemon

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
This is true, the state has no law about it, but every college in the state of which i am aware has a rule that says no firearms. They can kick you out of school but you cannot be arrested.

Wrong.

You are asked to take the weapon off private property ONCE. If you refuse, or linger, you can be arrested for Criminal Trespass.

KY_CCDW

imported post

superdemon wrote:
Walkeraviator wrote:
This is true, the state has no law about it, but every college in the state of which i am aware has a rule that says no firearms. They can kick you out of school but you cannot be arrested.

Wrong.

You are asked to take the weapon off private property ONCE. If you refuse, or linger, you can be arrested for Criminal Trespass.
That's right. Post-secondary educational institutions got a specific exemption from the CCDW law. They have a very powerful lobby in Frankfort, and generally get what they request.