Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, who dropped their gun in Alberston's last night?

Post imported post

fess up. was it someone here? as i was picking out my box of Theraflu (dang head cold) i heard a clank as someone dropped something. i turned around and there was a Hi-Point pistol laying on the ground. the lady carrying it quickly snatched it up and she and her male companion quickly scooted themselves out of the store.

i just chuckled a little and thought, wow, that must have been a little embarrassing. maybe you should look into a good holster?

was it anyone here?

both myself and the guy standing next to me saw it and neither one of us cared. this was the Albertson's on Canyon Rd and hwy 512.

Bobby

Post imported post

Huh, I go there all the time.....never seen anything like that though. Must have fallen out of her purse.

Post imported post

Well, there's the problem with wearing baggie pants that look like they're gonna fall off and putting your pistol in your pants "Mexican" style.

Not that I know any of it to be true, but it's funny to think about.

Good reminder that one is not only responsible for their actions and demeanor while carrying, but also gun retention.

Post imported post

i couldn't tell for sure but it did seem as though it fell out of her purse when she leaned over to look at something on a shelf. it was no big deal, but i thought it was kinda funny. i've been lucky enough to never have had that happen. i did have an empty magazine fall out of my pocket in a Burger King on time after a trip to the Marksman. i forgot it was in there. i don't think anyone saw anyway.

Bobby

Post imported post

Haha. That's good. Last night I hit my side really hard while going through a door, I'm clumsy like that, and my pistol popped out of it's holster. Damn those none retention holsters. Luckily I was able to grab it through my jacket and kinda hold it to my hip till I got to the bathroom and was able to re holster it. Glad to know I'm not the only clumsy one.:shock:

Post imported post

It wasn't me but one time while leaving the airport my shoulder holster decided to let go of some of the stitching and the 1911 fell into the waistband of my jacket. It almost got away from me as I was walking out the ramp to the garage. It was then I decided to get a Serpa and start OC'ing.

I guess some guns just want to be seen....

Post imported post

Wow I'm suprised it didn't go off, being a Hi-point :P

Post imported post

Bobarino wrote:
    i couldn't tell for sure but it did seem as though it fell out of her purse when she leaned over to look at something on a shelf.

Bobby
    This is why when I do purse carry I use one with a holster in it! Wasn't me but boy would that be embarrassing.

Post imported post

Bobarino wrote:
    fess up. was it someone here? as i was picking out my box of Theraflu (dang head cold) i heard a clank as someone dropped something. i turned around and there was a Hi-Point pistol laying on the ground. the lady carrying it quickly snatched it up and she and her male companion quickly scooted themselves out of the store.

i just chuckled a little and thought, wow, that must have been a little embarrassing. maybe you should look into a good holster?

was it anyone here?

both myself and the guy standing next to me saw it and neither one of us cared. this was the Albertson's on Canyon Rd and hwy 512.

Bobby
    Don't worry Bobby. If they were carying a "Hi-Point" that wasn't in a holster, they were not members of OCDO.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Nothing wrong with a Hi Point. In fact I plan to buy a Hi Point in .45 one of these days.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a Hi Point. In fact I plan to buy a Hi Point in .45 one of these days.
    Better do it now before they're banned....I'm thinking about picking up another to replace the one I sold.....

Post imported post

jchen012 wrote:
    How serious are you about that? I carry a HP C9.

Post imported post

Well, the HP C9 is on the CA DOJ Roster of certified guns, which (among other things) means the gun has to withstand oh-so-rigorous drop testing.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Some people bash Hi Points just because they can't grasp that a sub $200 handgun is any good. It's a snob thing.

Post imported post

I think he was making a joke guys.......I'm normally the first to jump in and defend my love for Hi Points, but it seemed pretty tongue in cheek to me. No need to fly off the handle and get all defensive now.

Post imported post

I agree with Comp, the Highpoint is the gun we all love to hate. Nonetheless, it's still a gun. I was going to comment: I'm surprised they just didn't kick it under the aisle instead of going to all the trouble of stooping over to pick it up.

Post imported post

In my opinion, with a semi-auto it's a matter of when, not if it will malfunction.....nevertheless, I do carry, at various times, a Glock 36 and a Para 1911, the 1911 being the more reliable of the two......

Post imported post

Bobarino wrote:
    i turned around and there was a Hi-Point pistol laying on the ground.
    Was it a Hi-Point or a Brick? There are some similarities.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

jchen012 wrote:
    What? I see the smiley face at the end of your post, but you will turn this into yet another pro/con Hi-Point thread.Hi-Point is ugly, bulky, heavyand inexpensive, but fairly safe.

This thread is not abou HiPoint, but about dropping guns in public places.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I added the :Pbecause it was a joke... although yes many people like to bash the Hi-Point because of the fact that it isblowback operated.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    This thread is not abou HiPoint, but about dropping guns in public places.

It may not be a Hi-Point thread, other than the fact it was a Hi-Point that was dropped. On that note, Hi-Points are often bought by people looking for a real inexpensive (often described as cheap) gun and won't spend the necessary money to properly secure it. Even when carried in a purse it would be wise to secure it in a holster that is secured to the inside of the purse. Also makes it more readily available.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Regardless of what type of weapon it was, things like this are a serious blow to gun owners as a whole and give the anti's a lot of ammunition against us.

Granted that just dropping it is not likely to cause it to go off, but a weapon floating around without the trigger covered by a proper holster holds a good chance of having the trigger bumped by something and going off. And even if it doesn't go off, can you imagine the testimony in front of the legislature from a store owner saying "We don't want people carrying in our store. One day one of these gun people just plain old dropped their pistol right in the middle of busy store and it slid across the ground where any kid could have grabbed it." That would not be good.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

adamsesq wrote:
    "We don't want people carrying in our store. One day one of these gun people just plain old dropped their pistol right in the middle of busy store and it slid across the ground where any kid could have grabbed it."

Probablywould a run on Charmin sales.

Post imported post

I agree that such an accident is one of those rare incidents that get latched onto by the anti-gunners and get made into an over-generalized huge thing. To have your pistol in such a condition of carry that it can just fall onto the floor in a public place is not IMO responsible carrying of a firearm.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Some people bash Hi Points just because they can't grasp that a sub $200 handgun is any good. It's a snob thing.
    You are probably right to a degree,

They are not of the quality of other guns, but there is a law of diminishing returns. How much more are you willing to pay for a little more reliability?

As a group, they will have more problems than say a Taurus of a Springfield, but what if you buy a Hi Point that works flawlessly, and your friend buys a Springfield that has problems, then you got the much better deal.

There will be problems with a limited number of all gun makes, it really is a crap shoot.

All kidding aside, if you want firepower and don't have the bucks for Kimber, there is always Hi Point and most do work just as designed.

You could say the same thing about a Bersa Thunder. I know a guy who bought one and after about 8 rounds it jammed and he could not un- jamb it. Yet there are millions of Bersa Thunder owners who are perfectly happy.

We take a chance with any gun we buy, some just are a little bigger risk than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast