• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is any gun ban Constitutional ??

Sonora Rebel

imported post

When the 2A was written... citizens could own cannon. It was cannon that the Brit Regulars marched on Lexington to sieze. Cannon were in the hands of Privateers funded by merchants aboard the Baltimore Clippers and regular merchant vessels of the day.

Up until 1936... it was legal to own a fully automatic firearm w/o any 'license' whatever. All this recentgun controlpanicstuff began when John Kennedy was shot.... 'n it's snowballed.

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
When the 2A was written... citizens could own cannon. It was cannon that the Brit Regulars marched on Lexington to sieze. Cannon were in the hands of Privateers funded by merchants aboard the Baltimore Clippers and regular merchant vessels of the day.

Up until 1936... it was legal to own a fully automatic firearm w/o any 'license' whatever. All this recentgun controlpanicstuff began when John Kennedy was shot.... 'n it's snowballed.
Well Put and Oh so true.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Thundar wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
..... We all know that hand grenades and rocket launchers are not appropriate arms for the general populace. We also would not condone giving them to our population for obvious reasons.

....Kevin

I'm certainly not part of your "we".

The people should have access to all bearable arms. Only way to be sure that thepeople can overthrow a tyrannical government.

Call me an extremist if you want, but the 2A was meant for extreme times.
I'm not going to debate you on this one any further. You have a right to an opinion and a belief, and I respect that belief even though I just happen to disagree with it.

Kevin

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
"Is any gun ban Constitutional ??"

I don't see a constitutional issue with prohibiting people from possessing or carrying firearms who willfully commit crimes that they know will result in their 2A right being limited. That is a choice the criminal makes when he commits the crime.

I do see a major constitutional issue with prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning whatever arms they choose, in whatever quantity they choose.