• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking News: VA Tech Police Investigate Sounds of Gun Fire

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hilti guns used in construction are designed in various calibers and different load levels depending into what surface the fastener is being fired. They are manufactured in .22, .38 & .45 calibers insofar as I am aware. Some of the heavier loads will fire fastners into heavy steel girders.

What do they sound like - gun fire! Exactly, because it is.

I was in a drug store eating a BLT in the NN/Hampton area years ago when two loud unmuffled shots rang out several feet behind me - jumped off the counter stool and behind the counter while checking for shot source - almost drew. my pistol.

Source: construction on the other side of a temporary wall, shooting studs into tarazal (sp) floor - wasn't funny - complained to store owner about potential hearing damage to customers and a few other things.:X Left without paying and didn't realize it until I was miles away.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Ahhh, nitrogen tri iodide! Haven't heard about that in many years. I think they used to call it "chemist's flypaper". Its harmless when damp, but when it dries, the smallest touch will set it off. A guy I knew in school made some and put a little patch of it on his roommate's bedsheet. Roommate was most displeased.
Yeah, we used to make it in HS. We realized that touching it is not what sets it off but rather something rubbing against it, even a feather, but it has to rub not merely touch (since it's touching itself and not going off). So what we did was take a wet clay ball and punch a hole to the center of it and then put a bunch of wet NI3 in the center and pinch the hole shut. We'd then roll it in our hands to make sure the clay was pressed tight against the NI3. Set it down to dry and voila! You could handle it all you wanted but when you threw it it would of course break when it hit something and BANG! Lotsa fun.

vt357

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
If vinegar and soda bottle devices are outlawed, and they are in some jurisdictions, then certainly so are true explosive devices like firecrackers.
You have got to be kidding me...... vinegar and soda bombs.... outlawed.?
Not only outlawed... a FELONY!!!

Two Hanover teens were charged with such a felony a couple months ago.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/sheriff/newsreleases/2008/charged_080916-bombs.pdf

Class 6 Felony: http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-85.html

buster81

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Tried to lock me in my classroom...I finished my exam and headed out the door to the protest of the TA who was proctoring the exam. Talk about feeling like a fish in a barrel, try hearing that there might be someone shooting on campus and then the next step is to get locked into the room you're in :uhoh: not really a comfortable feeling.

So how does this work these days? Are you actually expected to stay where you are when somepencil pusher declares a "lockdown" or are you free to go?

I would be getting the F out and finding a place to defend myself.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Can they make me stay put? Not sure...I know what I would (and did) do...and it doesn't involve staying put. We figured it was a non-event yesterday, and luckily it was.