• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meat Processor Near Harrisonburg Virginia

Drake

imported post

In 2 weeks, my friend and I are going deer hunting (first time... neither of us hunted, so it should be interesting to say the least). Anyway, we obviously don't have the equipment to butcher our own deer and decided just to use a meat processor to do it for us.

...except we can't find one :uhoh:

We both live in Harrisonburg and plan to hunt at the Goshen WMA (near George Washington National Forrest). Naturally, I decided to call meat processors using google maps but so far, I can't find one processing plant near by that normally accepts deer. One said they might do it and couldn't give me a price, and another said he wasn't sure (I really wonder who runs these businesses).

I really didn't think finding a processing plant would be this difficult.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I googled a couple of places for ya...

Gores Processing, Inc
12526 S Middle Rd
Edinburg, VA 22824
540-984-8138

[size=-1]11746 AG Industrial Drive

[size=-1]Bealeton, VA 22712-7147[/size]
[size=-1]
(540) 439-7227‎
[/size]
Here's some Deer Processing info in Google for [/size]Harrisonburg
I'm sure that a few calls will get you pointed in the right direction. I used to have a friend that was a butcher and did it all the time for hunters (he also worked for Giant). Best of luck - On the hunt and the processing. Be careful out there...

bayboy42

imported post

DDrake wrote:
In 2 weeks, my friend and I are going deer hunting (first time... neither of us hunted, so it should be interesting to say the least). Anyway, we obviously don't have the equipment to butcher our own deer and decided just to use a meat processor to do it for us.
Take a few bucks and invest in a good fixed blade knife and a bone saw. No meat processor I know of is going to take a deer that hasn't already had all of its guts removed so the same tools you need to do this are the same you need to finish the job. If you are going to stalk and potentially kill the deer, at least make an attempt to butcher the deer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Field dressing and then butchering your own completes the experience of stamping complete and educated hunter on your reputation. Besides, it's the only way to have it done right.

Can't strongly recommend enough aging your venison for several days in spare refrigerator or cool locker - if you have never done this, you will not believe how tender the meat will be.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/Outdoor Skills/Deer-Hang-Time

Yata hey

Bullbuster

imported post

I used to take game to a processer but decided the time it took for me to do it was better than the bill I had to pay. I have 3 deer in the freezer right now I did myself.

BTW good luck on the hunt.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

We butcher them ourselves (me, my roommate and two friends who regularly hunt.)

Letting them hang is great advice if you have the space. Really helps the meat.

As was said, most (or all) processors will require a field dressed deer. If you've field dressed it, you've got the equipment...the gutting is the hardest part and there's really no avoiding that.

Good luck!

67GT390FB

imported post

in a former life i used to take cattle to T&E in Harrisonburg540-434-4415 they used to take deer. the other one to check out in your area is to see if there is a local menonite meat processor.

Or do like i do and process it yourself. a vacuum sealer will be your best friend. also for white tail deer leave any saws at home as they are completely unnecessary. all you need is one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-Muskrat-Knife-Genuine-Bone-5-Dot-1975-NR_W0QQitemZ400008403179QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081112?IMSfp=TL081112115012r3754

don't bid on this one as i am looking to add another to my collection as i need a new dress knife as my twin to this one got used to break down the two does i got on saturday.

I completeley broke two deer down into less than ten gallon ziplock bags this past saturday without having to resharpen the knife. this included deboning the front and rear hind quarters and breaking the hind quarters down into seperate cuts(sirloin,round, etc) the front shoulders are mainly good for bbq or grinding if you want to make sausage or hamburger.

you will need a good fillet knife as thats what i use to trim the fat and sinewonce i let the meat age in the fridge for a few days.

also i will do it either way but i prefer to not field dress the deer if i know i am going to be able to get to it quickly and process it. i find i can get the inner tenderloins out without having them at a minimum covered in blood or worse if you screw up less favorable internal organ substances. but thats just me ymmv.

joe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
in a former life i used to take cattle to T&E in Harrisonburg540-434-4415 they used to take deer. the other one to check out in your area is to see if there is a local menonite meat processor.

Or do like i do and process it yourself. a vacuum sealer will be your best friend. also for white tail deer leave any saws at home as they are completely unnecessary. all you need is one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-Muskrat-Knife-Genuine-Bone-5-Dot-1975-NR_W0QQitemZ400008403179QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081112?IMSfp=TL081112115012r3754

don't bid on this one as i am looking to add another to my collection as i need a new dress knife as my twin to this one got used to break down the two does i got on saturday.

I completeley broke two deer down into less than ten gallon ziplock bags this past saturday without having to resharpen the knife. this included deboning the front and rear hind quarters and breaking the hind quarters down into seperate cuts(sirloin,round, etc) the front shoulders are mainly good for bbq or grinding if you want to make sausage or hamburger.

you will need a good fillet knife as thats what i use to trim the fat and sinewonce i let the meat age in the fridge for a few days.

also i will do it either way but i prefer to not field dress the deer if i know i am going to be able to get to it quickly and process it. i find i can get the inner tenderloins out without having them at a minimum covered in blood or worse if you screw up less favorable internal organ substances. but thats just me ymmv.

joe
Have you tried getting the tenderloin from the back with the no gut method Joe?
I thought about it last week but it was late and I was tired so I just did it the old fashioned way.

This is a Nesmuck I made 10 years or so ago, I do the entire job with it. Love the design, George Washington Sears, had a better idea back then. Hold it blade up and it's a drop point for gutting. Blade down it's a perfect skinner.
Finger on the spine and it;s a great slicer.

knife.jpg

67GT390FB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Have you tried getting the tenderloin from the back with the no gut method Joe?
I thought about it last week but it was late and I was tired so I just did it the old fashioned way.

This is a Nesmuck I made 10 years or so ago, I do the entire job with it. Love the design, George Washington Sears, had a better idea back then. Hold it blade up and it's a drop point for gutting. Blade down it's a perfect skinner.
Finger on the spine and it;s a great slicer.

nice knife. love the wood.

since you skinned a deer what did you get?

I haven't tried getting them out from the back before. what i do is easier to see than to describe but i go in from the front. It just takes a little more time and patience than field dressing a deer. but doing it this way they always come out nice and clean.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I haven't tried getting them out from the back before. what i do is easier to see than to describe but i go in from the front. It just takes a little more time and patience than field dressing a deer. but doing it this way they always come out nice and clean.
Nothing to brag about. a small 6 pointer.
I can't go tomorrow because my Father is in the hospital again. I'm going to go to the farm Monday I hope.
Never did see my Big Bear. Maybe next year.

67GT390FB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Nothing to brag about. a small 6 pointer.
I can't go tomorrow because my Father is in the hospital again. I'm going to go to the farm Monday I hope.
Never did see my Big Bear. Maybe next year.
i haven't seen a shooter buck yet this season have been filling the freezer with does. after letting 18 walk the first day and 23 the following monday i took two does the second sat of bp.

as for bears i'm more interested in african lion on my chesterfield properties lol.

hope you get the big bruin next year.