• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Call to Arms

Gordie

imported post

Gun Owners of America is another good group. They frequently beat the NRA to the punch on legislative alerts, sometimes by several days. They also have good articles on their site. Best of all is that they are a "no compromise" gun lobby.

shad0wfax

imported post

As Gordie just pointed out above, don't overlook the Gun Owners of America.

They take on some of the issues the NRA is more silent about.

I had a discussion with another Rights Enthusiast (I love that term) who said that the GOA will take on issues the NRA doesn't want to get their hands dirty with, make a big stink, and get the case out there and publicized. Then, when the case does go to trial, the NRA-ILA will quietly help in defense of the case, without making a big deal about it on their website or in their publications.

Thus, having the GOA around as a seperate entity is doing some good, because it allows the NRA to appear as a more "moderate" association to the public and yet still quietly help out.

Anyways, it's something to consider. I'm a life member of the NRA and I'm glad we have the various divisions in the NRA helping us out as much as they do.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Gordie wrote:
Gun Owners of America is another good group. They frequently beat the NRA to the punch on legislative alerts, sometimes by several days. They also have good articles on their site. Best of all is that they are a "no compromise" gun lobby.
The only thing they lack is political clout.

longwatch

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
It wasn't "political clout" which freed the nation from the clutches of George III.
One, we are not fighting a revolution so your rhetoric has no bearing on this discussion. Two, you are wrong, it was because the Founders had the political clout to even form the Continental Congress and subsequent Declaration of Independence and get the people to fight is why we have our own nation.

imported post

The ONE thing you're correct on is we are not (yet) fighting a revolution. After a few more decades of political posturing, THEN you'll have no other choice.
Since it'll take firepower to undo what you and generations of your kind have done, this subject has PLENTY bearing on this discussion.
Two, I am right. Even then, there were plenty of your kind around. Too afraid to stand up against the king of England, rather be subjects to the Crown.
Most historians have pegged the % of the population of that day who actually fought in the revolution well under 10%. Today is no different.
Go read history, it's about to slap you in the face.

longwatch

imported post

The ONE thing you're correct on is we are not (yet) fighting a revolution. After a few more decades of political posturing, THEN you'll have no other choice.
Since it'll take firepower to undo what you and generations of your kind have done, this subject has PLENTY bearing on this discussion.
Two, I am right. Even then, there were plenty of your kind around. Too afraid to stand up against the king of England, rather be subjects to the Crown.
Most historians have pegged the % of the population of that day who actually fought in the revolution well under 10%. Today is no different.
Go read history, it's about to slap you in the face.
OK whatever mr hero of the next revolution.

A smart man fights in the political halls before he has no resort but to fight in the streets. But you are all big talk.

imported post

Not if, but when the 3rd American revolution occurs, which side will you be on, if any? Yea, go ahead and keep "fighting" in the political halls, see what it gets you.
Albert Einstein, a man smarter than either of us, said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
Do you really thing some "magic event" is going to take place in some town hall meeting and all the Obamatrons of the world are suddenly going to see the light?
LOL, keep dreaming.

longwatch

imported post

Not if, but when the 3rd American revolution occurs, which side will you be on, if any? Yea, go ahead and keep "fighting" in the political halls, see what it gets you.
Albert Einstein, a man smarter than either of us, said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
Do you really thing some "magic event" is going to take place in some town hall meeting and all the Obamatrons of the world are suddenly going to see the light?
LOL, keep dreaming.
Hey Mark did you ever wonder why we hadn't had a major gun control since 1994 and from most accounts legislation has been moving our way on both the Federal and local level since then. Hardly the definition of insanity, however denial of reality often is.

imported post

Well, let's see..........hmmmmmmmmm.
You cannot even buy any type of weapon or ammunition without all sorts of restrictions/prohibitions.
They can run extensive background checks, take your fingerprints, you name it.
With the exception of Vermont and a handful of other states, you need their permission to conceal a weapon. There are even some states where openly bearing arms is outright illegal. Even having a weapon in your home is in violation of state "law." What other "laws" can they possibly pass that they haven't already? Oh yea, we're "winning."
Yep, the ONLY thing left is to ban 'em and send out the troops to pick them up.

longwatch

imported post

Well, let's see..........hmmmmmmmmm.
You cannot even buy any type of weapon or ammunition without all sorts of restrictions/prohibitions.
They can run extensive background checks, take your fingerprints, you name it.
With the exception of Vermont and a handful of other states, you need their permission to conceal a weapon. There are even some states where openly bearing arms is outright illegal. Even having a weapon in your home is in violation of state "law." What other "laws" can they possibly pass that they haven't already? Oh yea, we're "winning."
Yep, the ONLY thing left is to ban 'em and send out the troops to pick them up.
My friend those restriction have been in place a generation or more, it will take the same amount of time to remove them. We are behind but we aren't losing.

imported post

Actually, no they aren't. When I was a kid, you could walk into just about anywhere, buy just about anything you want, no background checks, etc.
You could even order handguns/long guns from Sears through the mail.
I suggest you read the writing of Jefferson, Adams and others. Let THEM tell you the natural tendencies of government, along with their predictions for the future (which have come to pass) and their Rx for the cure.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
The 10th amendment doesn't get nearly enough attention. The 1st amendment seems to be the only one that is respected.
Not for long.  You heard of the "fairness doctrine"?  If you haven't you should look it up...pretty scary stuff.
Broadcast media is already censored, statist propaganda. The "war" between "liberal" and "conservative" (statist) media is hilarious, or would be if people didn't take it seriously.

So, what's so scary about fairness doctrine? Government-controlled, statist media is going to have to favor the party in power, instead of favoring the party in power?

You're being had.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LOL, keep dreaming.
It's hard to take you seriously with all your "2nd American Revolution" rhetoric. Whatever event you consider to have been our "2nd Revolution", it wasn't.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I'm assuming this was directed at me. Thanks for the reading material. I am always willing to be educated.
I know some on the forum bust your chops for your cerebral humor and somewhat unusual postings but I generally get something positive from them. In this case I got a lot from it. Thanks again, just what I needed.

Tomahawk

imported post

Since it'll take firepower to undo what you and generations of your kind have done, ...SNIP

Comparing longwatch to a tory loyalist of the 1770s is uncalled for.

I agree with you about the NRA's unworthiness, I applaud you for standing up for your rights in LA, and I admire your zeal. But this personal attack is over the top.

And so is your rhetoric. You yourself fought back using the legal system, and you won. That's the kind of stuff that longwatch and "generations of his kind" are doing all around the country. They don't talk about using "firepower" to fix things, and neither did you when push came to shove. That sort of thing isn't constructive.

2a4all

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Since it'll take firepower to undo what you and generations of your kind have done, ...SNIP

Comparing longwatch to a tory loyalist of the 1770s is uncalled for.

I agree with you about the NRA's unworthiness, I applaud you for standing up for your rights in LA, and I admire your zeal. But this personal attack is over the top.

And so is your rhetoric. You yourself fought back using the legal system, and you won. That's the kind of stuff that longwatch and "generations of his kind" are doing all around the country. They don't talk about using "firepower" to fix things, and neither did you when push came to shove. That sort of thing isn't constructive.
+ 1, Tomahawk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry you're so misinformed. Most historians consider the War between the States as the 2nd American revolution. The next one will be the 3rd.
Nice "weasel words". :lol: I could just as easily argue, "'most' historians do not consider the War between the States to be the 2nd American revolution".

Regardless, your so-called "2nd American revolution" was a failure. I prefer to consider the next revolution our second, so as to associate it with our successful revolution against this British without calling to mind the failed rebellion of the Confederate states. ;)