Thread: Possesion/Sale of a handgun to those under 21

Post imported post

Hello,

Tried to do a quick search here and on handgunlaw.us but couldn't find it.

My cousin is trying to pick up a Glock 19 with several high cap mags. Thing is, he won't be 21 til August 2009. Fearing the worst but hoping for the best, I informed him if he finds a private sale and the seller is willing to sell to him, it is completely legal to as long as it's a private sale and not from an FFL.

Can someone please point me to this law which I could forward to him and he could print out and show potential sellers.

Thanks
    -Carlo

Post imported post

Here you go, hope this is what you're looking for.

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes...8.2-308.7.html

and while doing a private sale, I'm sure the seller knows the laws, but I guess a back up can't hurt

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

foxcall wrote:
    Here you go, hope this is what you're looking for.

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes...8.2-308.7.html

and while doing a private sale, I'm sure the seller knows the laws, but I guess a back up can't hurt
    that section applies to possession and transportation and not sales. i believe that even in a private sale it is illegal to sell a handgun to a person under 21. i may be wrong, but i think that the only legal way for a person under 21 to possess a handgun is to have it given to you by a parent or guardian.

Post imported post

That is not correct I am happy to say. A person of age 18 and over can privately buy a handgun. How do you think Nova and I both own a few or many?

Post imported post

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    A person of age 18 and over can privately buy a handgun.
    +1
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Indeed, as others have posted, it is legal (i.e. not illegal) for adults aged 18-20 to buy handguns privately, or recieve them as gifts. Any young people here who are considering this ought not wait too long. Since the Obama administration intends to get congress to close the so-called "gun show loophole", most likely after that they will propose closing the other "loophole": all private sales. When that specter is on the horizon, the run on guns and the resulting increase in prices will be extraordinary. Don't wait 'til the hysteria starts. Ditto for "assault weapons"/hi-cap magazines.

And don't expect our "pro-gun" Dem senators to stand up for us. Webb's recent ads for Obama make it clear he is a Dem first and Virginian second (if at all).

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    When that specter is on the horizon, the run on guns and the resulting increase in prices will be extraordinary. Don't wait 'til the hysteria starts. Ditto for "assault weapons"/hi-cap magazines.
    The run is already under way. Even the mainstream media are covering the increases in sales of firearms, ammunition, and shooting accessories. Only thing is, the MSM does not seem to believe what they are being told about folks fearing what the Office of the President-Elect will do once it is innagurated.

Max out your credit cards now, as O will be redistributing the wealth so you do not have to pay for gas or mortgages. Bet O will also bail out credit card debt, just like they are bailing out the automakers - NOT!

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Hey, wait a damn minute! My ammo costs have more than doubled in the last year! After I'm done buying bullets, its tough to find the money for food and gas. You mean Obama isn't going to help me make ends meet??!! I thought liberals cared about people in economic distress!!

Post imported post

How about a bailout for a CoOp of gun buyers?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

jegoodin wrote:
    that section applies to possession and transportation and not sales. i believe that even in a private sale it is illegal to sell a handgun to a person under 21. i may be wrong, but i think that the only legal way for a person under 21 to possess a handgun is to have it given to you by a parent or guardian.
    You are wrong, at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    jegoodin wrote:
    You are wrong, at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-309

Minor = under 18.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.7

As with OC, if it isn't listed as illegal, it is legal. Federal law is 18 for private sales as well.

Post imported post

Perhaps there is confusion on this because a Virginia CHP requires the applicant to be 21 years or older.

§ 18.2-308. Paragraph D.

TFred