• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possesion/Sale of a handgun to those under 21

C45P312

imported post

Hello,

Tried to do a quick search here and on handgunlaw.us but couldn't find it.

My cousin is trying to pick up a Glock 19 with several high cap mags. Thing is, he won't be 21 til August 2009. Fearing the worst but hoping for the best, I informed him if he finds a private sale and the seller is willing to sell to him, it is completely legal to as long as it's a private sale and not from an FFL.

Can someone please point me to this law which I could forward to him and he could print out and show potential sellers.

Thanks
-Carlo

jegoodin

imported post

foxcall wrote:
Here you go, hope this is what you're looking for.

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-308.7.html

and while doing a private sale, I'm sure the seller knows the laws, but I guess a back up can't hurt
that section applies to possession and transportation and not sales. i believe that even in a private sale it is illegal to sell a handgun to a person under 21. i may be wrong, but i think that the only legal way for a person under 21 to possess a handgun is to have it given to you by a parent or guardian.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Indeed, as others have posted, it is legal (i.e. not illegal) for adults aged 18-20 to buy handguns privately, or recieve them as gifts. Any young people here who are considering this ought not wait too long. Since the Obama administration intends to get congress to close the so-called "gun show loophole", most likely after that they will propose closing the other "loophole": all private sales. When that specter is on the horizon, the run on guns and the resulting increase in prices will be extraordinary. Don't wait 'til the hysteria starts. Ditto for "assault weapons"/hi-cap magazines.

And don't expect our "pro-gun" Dem senators to stand up for us. Webb's recent ads for Obama make it clear he is a Dem first and Virginian second (if at all).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
When that specter is on the horizon, the run on guns and the resulting increase in prices will be extraordinary. Don't wait 'til the hysteria starts. Ditto for "assault weapons"/hi-cap magazines.

The run is already under way. Even the mainstream media are covering the increases in sales of firearms, ammunition, and shooting accessories. Only thing is, the MSM does not seem to believe what they are being told about folks fearing what the Office of the President-Elect will do once it is innagurated.

Max out your credit cards now, as O will be redistributing the wealth so you do not have to pay for gas or mortgages. Bet O will also bail out credit card debt, just like they are bailing out the automakers - NOT! :D

stay safe.

skidmark

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey, wait a damn minute! My ammo costs have more than doubled in the last year! After I'm done buying bullets, its tough to find the money for food and gas. You mean Obama isn't going to help me make ends meet??!! I thought liberals cared about people in economic distress!!

:cuss:

Thundar

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
that section applies to possession and transportation and not sales. i believe that even in a private sale it is illegal to sell a handgun to a person under 21. i may be wrong, but i think that the only legal way for a person under 21 to possess a handgun is to have it given to you by a parent or guardian.
You are wrong, at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

nova

imported post

Thundar wrote:
jegoodin wrote:
You are wrong, at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-309

Minor = under 18.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

As with OC, if it isn't listed as illegal, it is legal. Federal law is 18 for private sales as well.