• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any stories of needing to go on alert or for self defense?

opusd2

imported post

Having just encountered some problems while staying at the home of a friend the past couple of days, I was wondering if anyone else encountered situations in the state of WI where you were either approached in a menacing fashion or where you turned away someone trying to break in to your house, or ???

The reason I ask this, is because for the past couple of days I had been staying with a friend in Appleton (near Grand Chute where there has been more than a few problems as of late) and the past two nights in a row someone has tried to enter the apartment late at night which is on the ground floor. For what reason? I don't know, but I have been on high alert waiting for the possibility of another attempt to get in and refuse to be a victim. I am ready for whatever happens and since I have a small one that depends on me for safety I am willing to do whatever I need to that I can insure safety. It's a shame that we need to worry about punishments for defending ones self, but it's a reality and something to consider. Yet nothing is more important to me than my family's safety.

Even the skunks, wolves and coyotes (possibly a bear or more in Door County, definitely more than one in Wittenberg) that I face staying in the sticks is less of a worry than a person. Possibly because a human can fire back. Now the gang situation in DC isn't as bad as everywhere else, but it does exist. And there is a lot of burglarizing during the off-tourist season months.

So, I was just wondering if others faced such situations or if they were fortunate enough to just deal with it all in theory. This isn't the first time I faced such problems, I had such an experience when I lived in Madison, and one when living out in Cheyenne, WY which has it's share of gang problems. However this is the first time I am honestly worrying for more than myself and it's a bigger responsibility. And I'm good with that because I know I am prepared physically, emotionally and mentally. Plus I have practiced my aim enough and use frangible tips that are right for my surroundings. It pays to be ready.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

As I experienced in SC and before moving here, community leaders can't see or refuse to acknowledge gangs until it is too late because it's their kids being 'demonized'. They know that little Jonathan is a good kid wouldn't do anything like that, his misbehavior is just expressing his independence and rebellion. They don't see kiddy-scofflaws as broken-windows.

Economic theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Policing theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_Broken_Windows

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Well, I'd like to think I'm always "on alert!" But if you mean going to Condition Orange, then sure, there have been plenty of times. I'll only share one humorous case however:

I used to go regularly to the state-owned Goose Lake wildlife and public hunting area for almost weekly walks. It's where I would go to do some "thinking." Sometimes I would see other people there, but on many days I walked for hours without seeing another person. One cold day a few years back I was returning to my car after having been out for most of the morning and part of the afternoon. I probably had about a mile left to get to my car, and as I was walking down the trail I began to hear horrible blood curdling screams. It sounded like a woman. I could imagine such sounds coming from a person only if they were being hacked to death with an ax. :shock:

The screams seemed to be coming from a hundred yards or so ahead of me. To say the least, it caught my attention. I picked up my pace and approached in a state of hyper alertness and in absolute stealth mode. The screaming continued the entire time. As I rounded the bend and got closer to the source I unholstered. Gun in hand, I approached carefully, making sure I had good concealment. I spotted a man in full camouflage with a rifle. Then to my amusement (and relief), I noticed some little PA speakers on the ground near him. The guy was coyote hunting and using some "animal in distress" recording to call them in! Although I had been regularly walking that area for years, I had never seen a coyote hunter there, and had only seen one coyote (although plenty of sign.) Well, I was happy that I didn't have to shoot anyone that day. I had a brief conversation with the hunter during which I told him that I believed that I was the only thing that his coyote calls had succeeded in calling in.... :p

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
The guy was coyote hunting and using some "animal in distress" recording to call them in! Although I had been regularly walking that area for years, I had never seen a coyote hunter there, and had only seen one coyote (although plenty of sign.) Well, I was happy that I didn't have to shoot anyone that day. I had a brief conversation with the hunter during which I told him that I believed that I was the only thing that his coyote calls had succeeded in calling in.... :p
I am pretty sure the guy was/isbreaking the law asusing electronic calls is illegal in Wisconsin.

opusd2

imported post

There have been some changes in the hunting regulations and I think electronic calls are now legal, but I will have to look myself to satisfy my need to know...

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

DNR's pamphlet on hunting regulations states:

"It is legal to use any type of call or amplified sound for attracting foxes, raccoon, crows, coyotes, and Unprotected Species during the open season."

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You are CORRECT, the regulations were updated. My apologies, I guess there's a whole bunch more reading for me to do now.