• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

firearm in vehicle in work/private parking lot

ainokea

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Nobody should fear for loss of his job over a Bible, Book of Mormon, Koran, Bagagavida, Playboy, or handgun secured in his locked car in a company parking lot. It is one thing to limit what one brings into the office itself. It is quite another to presume to reach into the private property of an employee and dictate what lawful items he can or cannot have in his own glove box and to disarm him during his daily commute when the employer will assume ZERO liability for injury.

And thank you for the civil and reasoned dialogue.

Charles
Iam aware of the laws or lack thereof as you stated in your reply. My statement of not breaking any laws when CCing I was refering to restricted area as you mentioned.

I agree with you on this last statement. Everyone (who can legally own a firearm) should be able to protect themselves during their commute and at least be able to leave their weapon secure in their vehicle if they cannot carry a work.

Francis Marion

imported post

utbagpiper, I really like your reasoning. My I suggest that a new law state,

- No employer may ban the concealed carry of a firearm without providing for or making available a safe and secure means of storing firearms. Any storage facility must be accessible any time an employee may be expected to arrive or depart from their place of employment.

This would allow an employer the option to ban open carry for reasons of public image but concealed carry is not an image concern. Secure storage may be the employees car. For those who commute, it may be a locker on the property.

Liability concerns should be covered through workers compensation. We should make it known to employers that they are responsible for the safety of their employees even from the "crazed gunman."

LovesHisXD45

imported post

pitythefools wrote:
Francis Marion wrote:
utbagpiper, I really like your reasoning. My I suggest that a new law state,

- No employer may ban the concealed carry of a firearm without providing for or making available a safe and secure means of storing firearms. Any storage facility must be accessible any time an employee may be expected to arrive or depart from their place of employment.

This would allow an employer the option to ban open carry for reasons of public image but concealed carry is not an image concern. Secure storage may be the employees car. For those who commute, it may be a locker on the property.

Liability concerns should be covered through workers compensation. We should make it known to employers that they are responsible for the safety of their employees even from the "crazed gunman."
why should my tax dollar be used to cover some business with this issue?
it is the business responsibility, not joe taxpayer.
Hey pitythefools. Look at the bright side. If they ever pass a law that holds businesses accountable like this, we can start up an insurance company specifically for this protection and make millions. Let's start lobbying the house! :)

J/K, although it would be nice to have a little extra cash flow coming in, if you know what I mean. heheheeh

Kevin